Wrestling Forum banner

Sheamus, Punk and Cena, Do you think WWE shove them down our throats too much?

4K views 54 replies 41 participants last post by  zkorejo 
#1 ·
I used to enjoyed Sheamus a little bit when he was "Celtic Warrior" but now... he's fucking stale and boring. all he does is axe handles, punches to the chest, and some boring moves then that stupid kick. his match with ADR was boring as watching shit on the floor.

CM Punk... I respect him in person and his talents but his current character is horrible. plus he's been the champ for 8 months. he's just like the new Cena for the adult market. I don't understand the smark fans... he was good but not good anymore. why do you have to cheer for him forever just because of he was good?

and for SuperCena... bashing him in 2012 is outdated but goddamnit!!! he still SUCKS!!!

the worst thing is... WWE can't mega-push them correctly, all 3 of them have been pushed in the same way, the Superman gimmick. I'm ok if they push these guys but please do it better than this. stop forcing me to watch the same old crap over and over again every week.

#2 ·
Cena and Sheamus, yes. The WWE has absolutely refused to change, or even tinker with Cena's formula for the past 7 years, despite being the most hated man in the business. And despite him selling so well to kids, according to the WWE's own corporate website, 74% of their fanbase are 21 and over. This has led to dramatically reduced interest, less ratings, less buyrates, and has made Cena completely unable to compete with Hogan, Austin and Rock.

Sheamus is an untalented goof with nothing needed to succeed other than that he's big, but that big man effect is completely nullified when you look at him and see a Ronald McDonald look alike. If he wasn't working out with Triple H, he'd be in the same position as Mason Ryan.

CM Punk is not shoved down our throats ENOUGH. Not even close. Not only does he not get enough exposure, but the exposure he does get is spent on a bad, sarcastic, smart ass babyface version of Punk instead of a pissed off revolutionary.

#4 ·
Not only does he not get enough exposure, but the exposure he does get is spent on a bad, sarcastic, smart ass babyface version of Punk instead of a pissed off revolutionary.
While I agree with you wholeheartedly you can't keep casting him as the revolutionary unless there's actually going to be fundamental changes in the company. Since we both know that's pretty much not going to happen, having him continue that trend will only make him sound like another whiny heel. It's like the guy at a regular job who hates management and wants to see changes -- well, it's only a matter of time before it becomes a broken record and everyone tunes him out.

#3 ·
Sheamus, imo is useless. If you call it a feud what he had with ADR. ADR the guy people find useless, totally destroyed Sheamus, better promos, hell better everything.

Punk is fine the problem is WWE missuses him, only reason people know he is the champ is because he wears the belt. And its the reason the WWE can't create stars past Cena. Look at the PPV tonight, why would the Champ's match before a MTIB match... Punk and Bryan delivered a hell of a match if not for the HHH and UT match it would be the match of the years.

Cena just needs change or stay away for awhile. Him winning the MITB match was pointless. If anything itll make ppl hate him more,and the WWE will be business as usual. Ppl know Cena can get the title anytime he wants, so why give him MITB. It ruins those around him and himself.

#7 ·
Punk and Sheamus, no. We need new stars.

Cena... One day he's going to finally suffer a serious injury that sidelines him for 4-8 weeks, and no one watching will believe he'll be gone for more than an hour and 50 minutes. That "break" following Extreme Rules would have been dandy, rather than being given the enemy who logically should have been CM Punk's in John Laurinaitis and feuding with The Big Show for the ten billionth fucking time. Good Lord.

#8 ·
No, and I'm actually starting to get annoyed with how smart the IWC thinks they are. People complain that people are being SHOVED down "our" throats. I don't agree or disagree 100% either way with WWE's direction. I never have and I never will, but this is getting out of hand online.

First, let me touch on what I disagree with in the WWE (pertaining these superstars). As far as Sheamus goes I think it's very clear that he's "waiting" on competition. The recent depth issues have made it impossible to find any heel credible enough to beat him. He clearly was headed towards a program with Orton sooner than later. Del Rio pulled the most out of this feud that was possible and I think they had a solid match, but the result was never in doubt. Plus, the lack of a true brand split has rendered the World Title almost useless and it's clearly below the WWE title. He's hasn't been get much screen time and is even more of an afterthought than Punk has been to Cena.

Punk, has been playing his role nicely. Since his famous "pipe bomb" he's gotten the majority of what he's wanted aside from ice cream bars, and now people are saying he's not "edgy" enough? Well, no shit! He's held the title for 8 months what does he have to complain about? He's been Cena, Del Rio, Miz, Mark Henry, Chris Jericho, Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston, R-Truth, Kane and Daniel Bryan in title defenses within the last year. Did he sell out? That's arguable considering his whole speech was about wanting to sell out! Isn't this the same guy who wanted CM Punk the movie? He could've played a bigger hand in Big Johnny's demise, but ultimately what balance is there for him to even upset. Obviously the biggest complaint in his reign is that he hasn't closed out a PPV, but he's put on incredible matches through out his reign. For anybody else an 8 month reign would be considered "shoving down the throats", but THIS GUY just said he's not pushed enough.

John Cena, he knows his role and he plays it well. For a guy who's been main eventing since '05 it's hard to come up with anything "new" for him. Is there a main eventer he HASN'T had a program with? I support him having MITB, because I'm sure it'll lead towards Punk vs Cena III at Summerslam and regardless of the result I'm sure it'll be a great match. Obviously, I'm not a fan of where his matches has been placed on the card, but it is what it is. Has his character been stale? Yes, and so has Sheamus' and even Punk's before AJ.

The biggest problem with all of these guess has been the holding pattern they've been in. The same can be said for nearly every champion on the roster. Cena has been doing the same song and dance for a while, and true he's only lost 4 matches this year, but at this point is that really and issue? What would be the point of jobbing at house shows? Shouldn't a loss for Cena actually be booked as important? I'm sure he'll beat Punk at Summerslam, and while I think it'll be a backstep, it's a match I want to see even knowing that he'll win. I still think HE shouldn't be the one to stop Punk's reign, but he really did put Punk over big time twice last year. People find a reason to complain about AJ's involvement in the Punk/Bryan series, but once you stop bitching about the prop of the WWE Championship being placed second in the storyline you'll see that's actually been one of the most entertaining storylines in recent history. And I really don't think AJ's ruined anything. Punk and Bryan already put on a 5 star technical classic at OTL with nearly no build up. So, why should they repeat themselves? And as much as people act like it's about AJ and not the belt it's really the other way around. CM Punk hasn't shown signs of wanting AJ and we know Bryan is trying to use her for the belt, so in a way AJ's the only one thinking any of this is about her. I think it's rejuvenated some life into Punk's reign, because as good as his matches were with Jericho it felt like they both were going through the motions. We all clearly know Sheamus isn't an untalented hack and anything saying otherwise is either blind hate or just not your taste. I remember his match with HHH at 'Maina and thinking "he doesn't have enough moves for this sequence" and now it can be argued he has too many moves, but we all know it's not about moves. Anyone can add 100 moves into there arsenal and not know what to do with them, but he's grown as a performer and has done a good job of rebranding himself as a face. That said, IMO he's the biggest victim of the holding pattern because storyline wise he's had no growth. He's been champ since Wrestlemaina and I think at this point he'd be more entertaining losing the built and chasing after it. I think the same can be said for Santino, Layla, the Tag Champs and even Christian. With no real intriguing storyline for any of them in the last few month they've just been holding the belts and doing nothing.

The problem hasn't been with the performers, it's been the lack of change for all of them that's making them stale.

#12 ·
Let's see, Sheamus and Punk always win and have no competition. Cena is still closing the show so yeah they've all been "shove down our throats", but so have every top guy WWE has ever pushed.

#13 ·
You guys are funny.

First you say that, no, not at all, Punk isn't pushed too strongly & in a bad way at the same time. Cena and Sheamus are, so they suck.
Then you admit it, but, nope, "it's not his fault, he is being misused". Cena and Sheamus still suck.

What? What? All 3 of them are being misused, as they are booked too strongly, but simply in a bad way at the same time. OP said it nice, it's the Superman push.

---
The issue isn't whether they are showed down our throats - they really are not. They are the 3 top babyfaces of the company, it's normal for them to be in the forefront.
The issue isn't that they are getting big pushes - they are. They are the 3 top babyfaces in the company, they need to headline events and be a big deal.
The issue IS that they are getting pushed in the wrong way - Superman style.

It is noticeable for all 3 men - Sheamus, The Great White, despite being "injured" and being beat down, can easily counter and deliver the devastating Brogue Kick out of nowhere.
Cena is the same, but with different moves.
Punk? Not so much, he is more even with his competition.

Sheamus is actually the least bad of the lot, simply because Cena really is THE face of the company, which means that despite receiving the exact same type of booking as Sheamus, he is above him in amounts of "annoyance and obnoxiousness" because he gets just that much more exposure (and that's why he was chosen to face Lesnar/Ace/Show, and not Sheamus).
Sheamus' gimmick, like the gimmick of probably 90% of the roster, is slowly degenerating thanks to rare microphone segments and impersonal feuds.
However, arguably, he is still not as bad as Punk - His gimmick has completely changed, since he needed one more suitable for a top babyface. From Voice of the Voiceless to Voice of Sarcasm, and nothing but sarcasm. The reason it hurts him more than Sheamus is that it is his gimmick and related microphone skills that got him over, despite his good wrestling ability.

Now that it is changed, yeah, it's not the same.
---
So, IMO, Cena and Sheamus need to structure their matches differently. Sheamus needs to have more personal feuds and he needs more mic time. Punk needs to drop the title, as he has shown time and time again how he can defeat credible opponents. Simply, it is his time to pass the title to someone else. At this point, really, him keeping further it will eventually get him to Cena levels of indestructible, despite him wrestling far more balanced matches.
I'm not saying "HUR DUR, TURN KNUP MC HEAL". He can turn heel, be a tweener or just stay a face - i don't care. Dropping the title + a few good ideas from Creative and boom - Regardless of his face/heel status, we will get a "new" Punk, with a revamped (in a good way) character.

As a closing statement: A lot of you marks say "If you don't like Punk anymore you are a traitor (or whatever), you are not true fans, you need to stick by him..." That is just beyond idiotic and nonsensical.

Then again, what else can you expect from fans?

#14 ·
I agree with you on John Cena and Sheamus because they win almost all the time, hardly lose clean, and are shoved down our throats every single time. Granted, Cena lost clean at this year's WrestleMania but aside from that, when was the last time he lost clean? Also, these two usually get carried most of the time and Superman back up with a few moves for the win. Can't stand Sheamus' current title reign, it's even worse than his first one in 2009. He's been booked liked unstoppable (he hasn't lost clean since turning face), needs to be carried to have a good/great match, etc.

I disagree with you on CM Punk however, he isn't shoved down our throats enough. He's lost clean lots of times, so I'm not sure how people can be calling him "Super Punk". He lost three weeks in a row to Mark Henry. He tapped out to Daniel Bryan at Over the Limit. He got pinned by a round-house kick, which isn't even close to being a finisher. Doesn't sound like a Superman booking to me. Every top face that gets pushed gets a "Super (enter your name here)" comparison, even Punk, who as I said loses lots of times. Also, Punk's been on a great roll since winning the title last year, he's been putting on some of the best matches this year, also some good promos.

#20 ·
I disagree with you on CM Punk however, he isn't shoved down our throats enough. He's lost clean lots of times, so I'm not sure how people can be calling him "Super Punk". He lost three weeks in a row to Mark Henry. He tapped out to Daniel Bryan at Over the Limit. He got pinned by a round-house kick, which isn't even close to being a finisher. Doesn't sound like a Superman booking to me. Every top face that gets pushed gets a "Super (enter your name here)" comparison, even Punk, who as I said loses lots of times. Also, Punk's been on a great roll since winning the title last year, he's been putting on some of the best matches this year, also some good promos.
Eh?
Bryan didn't pin him; Lots of his loses, where, actually, dirty (handicap match shouldn't really be seen as a clean loss).
Irrelevant, really, he retained every time when the title was on the line.

Super Punk, as I said, is better than Super Cena and Super Sheamus simply because his matches are more believable.

#17 ·
I used to enjoyed Sheamus a little bit when he was "Celtic Warrior" but now... he's fucking stale and boring. all he does is axe handles, punches to the chest, and some boring moves then that stupid kick. his match with ADR was boring as watching shit on the floor.

CM Punk... I respect him in person and his talents but his current character is horrible. plus he's been the champ for 8 months. he's just like the new Cena for the adult market. I don't understand the smark fans... he was good but not good anymore. why do you have to cheer for him forever just because of he was good?

and for SuperCena... bashing him in 2012 is outdated but goddamnit!!! he still SUCKS!!!

the worst thing is... WWE can't mega-push them correctly, all 3 of them have been pushed in the same way, the Superman gimmick. I'm ok if they push these guys but please do it better than this. stop forcing me to watch the same old crap over and over again every week.
lol the WWE always finds us new ways to keep bashing him. I am starting to think its intentional now :p

#21 ·
Punk and Sheamus are the champions of their respective brands and are both rising stars. They SHOULD be the highlight of their shows, which means they may get shoved down our throats.

Can't be bothered to express my opinion about Cena's situation.

#28 ·
Wha... Wha... Huh? How?

What in god's name is wrong with his in-ring ability and his mic skills?
And please don't say that he "no sells".

#25 ·
Cena is well cena same old crap different day he needs a change in gimmick attitude character anything and now. Punk could be edgier true but while he's holding the belt he has no reason to be angry to be edgier to drop pipe bombs and dropping the belt to Danial or better yet being screwed out of it would have helped dramatically. And sheamus in irish cena 2.0 to he has the talent but as long as they keep him in this mold he's going to continue to be useless. Faces are always better chasing the title to me than having them. So as to the original question Cena forced YES Punk not really and Sheamus yes.

#26 ·
Super Punk is hilarious since he's a small guy yet comes out looking like superman who just barely can breath

Super Cena is the Worst who no sells shit.I mean you can stab the guy 10 times and he'll come out looking like he only got scratch

Super Sheamus looks like a joke and like a clown just based on his appearance.White skin,red hair,and green trunks.

#30 ·
Cena was in a Sleeper Hold last night from Jericho for something like 5 minutes and was STILL climbing up the ladder. So basically what they're saying is that Cena's brain can not only survive for 5 minutes without any blood flow or oxygen without him turning into a vegetable (I did my homework, at 3 minutes without oxygen and blood flow the brain starts suffering serious damage), but can still completely function enough to carry a grown 230 pound man on his back up a ladder.

So here we have medical proof that John Cena's superman booking will only allow him to stay down if he is dead. And people wonder why some of us are sick to death of him.

#29 ·
What many of you fail to realize is this: if Cena is the top guy, and he never loses, how can new guys be established to the point where they can go into the main event and actually pose a threat to Cena? Cena has to lose to legitimize guys, who can in turn lose to legitimize further guys, etc. But who has Cena lost to? Punk (neither time clean), Sheamus and Orton, possibly Jericho (can't remember). 3-4 guys. And people wonder why the main event scene is a complete cluster fuck. Even if you build up Big Show for the 100000 time as an unstoppable heel giant, who was he going over? Brodus Clay, Kofi, Truth...who cares? Now if he'd beaten Cena at NWO at least you could have a feud that lasted longer than a month. As it is, with Cena winning all the time and never losing (except to Rock who is already legit), how can you ever build up guys to feud with him and have it seem credible? You can't.

#32 ·
/facepalm

What I hate more is people like you, and I just despise the words "crying" and "whining".
People have the right to say what they think, and if it is negative, it is negative.

#36 ·
Punk being pissed off about what? It's hard to be pissed off when CM Punk IS part of the establishment. The bitching has gotten ridiculous when really John Cena, CM Punk, and Sheamus haven't been pushed down our throats any more than the Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Triple H, Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, and any other top guy or champion before or after CM Punk, John Cena, and Sheamus retire. No booker with any sense would book their top guys like mid carders

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.