Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
- It appears former NFL player Shawne Merriman, who has had some Twitter beef with CM Punk in the past, is training with WWE. Bill DeMott noted on Twitter that Merriman was at the WWE Performance Center training this week. Merriman posted the following on Facebook after his first day at the Performance Center:
Seems he posted this pic on facebook -

"A hard days work 1 down 364 to go #PainWhatPain #LightsOut"

Looks like he had fun running the ropes...

He doesn't tunr 30 until May, so he's younger than most NFL retirees and is a big time wwe fan.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Whats with WWE and their obsession with signing NFL guys? There are plenty of talented indy wrestlers hungry to get into the big league, yet they sign this muscle bound athletes who had to start from scratch, knows little of the industry and mostly doesn't end up succeeding unless they are from a wrestling family.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Whats with WWE and their obsession with signing NFL guys? There are plenty of talented indy wrestlers hungry to get into the big league, yet they sign this muscle bound athletes who had to start from scratch, knows little of the industry and mostly doesn't end up succeeding unless they are from a wrestling family.

They don't want Indy guys. They would prefer somebody they can build from scratch to fit their mold.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Probably cause it's easy for them to adapt do to the physical nature of the nfl

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Banned
13,572 Posts
This pisses me off there are so many guys who want to be WWE superstars and they have to bring in NFL players. Thats a slap in the face for guys who worked so hard to get in the developmental system only for a NFL guy to take their spot

·
Registered
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Merriman is a multi-millionaire, so he's not in the wwe for the money. He has to be pretty dedicated to put himself through the training when he could sit home on his couch and be set for life.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Would love to see Merriman in the WWE (assuming he works to be passable in the ring/mic) because he was a huge name at one point and could be a big time star.

·
Premium Member
12,885 Posts
Hasn't he had a few negative run-ins with WWE wrestlers? I remember one incident where he was hitting on Gail Kim and CM Punk clowned him on Twitter for it.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
lol why you guys are mad? 6'4 261 lbs now that's impressive

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
They don't want Indy guys. They would prefer somebody they can build from scratch to fit their mold.
The Rock and Bill Goldberg both played football before they began wrestling. Both of them were huge stars in their companies. Undertaker played basketball, Lesnar was a NCAA Champion, Mark Henry was a Olympic strongman. I don't understand why every wrestler has to come from the indys. Batista and Cena never worked the indys, and they were the most over guys in late 2004-mid 2005.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Yeah, taking American Football players and training them isn't anything new. Must they insist on using actual ropes though? I guess it's part of "paying your dues" and probably something tangible to show the individual that the training is very real and serious. It would seem I answered my own question, move along, nothing to see here.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I guess they didn't teach him how to run the ropes correctly. If he decides to pursue a career in wrestling I could see him having some success, apparently a pretty big deal already from NFL, not sure why he retired so early since I don't follow American football, but I'm sure he isn't doing this for money since I presume nfl players get payed ridiculously.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Yeah! Why would a pro wrestling promotion want to invest in a muscle-bound monster with no family background in wrestling? Bodybuilders and football players? There's no money there!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I read somewhere the other day that WWE would like to start moving away from signing a lot of indie wrestlers, because by the time WWE get their hands on them these guys have built up a lot of so-called "bad habits." I don't know quite what they mean by that, but that's just what I read. As for Merriman, if WWE can turn him into even a halfway decent wrestler they can make some big money off him. He's still young enough to have a pretty long career, and he's still a big enough name that Vince would swoon over him.

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
because
1. footballers have a history of transitioning into pro wrestling easily from the likes of ernie ladd, wahoo mcdaniel right through to goldberg and roman reigns
2. the indies lacks size, if you want to sign "big guys" you have to look outside of wrestling
3. wwe didn't open a $10m performance center to just sign guys that have been learning their own style for years.

·
Registered
810 Posts
good to see him in some form of action

1 - 20 of 36 Posts