Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone has seen what HBK is up to nowerdays but this summer he opened up his own youtube channel so he can "stay in touch with the fans" which I thought sounded all fine and dandy. That was of course, until I saw his latest video entitled "Shawn Michaels' Favorite Total Gym Exercises" where he basically does a 10 minute advert for a piece of gym equipment.

Here's the video...

Now, my question is...Do you guys think it's a little unethical (seeing as he's a re-born Christian now) to blatantly and try to exploit his fans (who at this stage will be mostly around the teenage mark) by making a video like this. Especially assuming that he's in a stable place financially and the amount he'll be making by promoting this equipment isn't likely to change his life. Or alternatively do you think he's got every right to continue to earn as much as he can, even if it means trying to flog this gym equipment to teenagers.

To me it seems a little like exploitation, what do y'all think?

·
GOAT
4,523 Posts
HBK is Mr Mackey, the amount of times he says Mkay is odd

Back to the question, I apologise.

I think he's pretty much within his rights to do it to be honest, it's a matter of opinion but I don't see anything wrong with it, he might not have even been paid much if anything at all, instead getting a free Total Gym station (or whatever it's called)

·
Registered
802 Posts
i dont think hes doing anything wrong just doing something at least go for it i say.

hahaha for thous of you who are stronger than me :lmao
haha its funny as

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
How is it unethical?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Not unethical. Dude's still entitled to make some form of living. "Exploit fans" is just an ugly way of saying "business".

The way you worded this sentence: "Do you think it's unethical (seeing as he's a reborn Christian now)...?" makes it sound like it would be ethical if he wasn't a Christian. No beef, I just didn't like that. I see where you're coming from though, but I don't see how being a Christian means you're not allowed to enjoy success or shitloads of money.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not unethical. Dude's still entitled to make some form of living. "Exploit fans" is just an ugly way of saying "business".

The way you worded this sentence: "Do you think it's unethical (seeing as he's a reborn Christian now)...?" makes it sound like it would be ethical if he wasn't a Christian. No beef, I just didn't like that. I see where you're coming from though, but I don't see how being a Christian means you're not allowed to enjoy success or shitloads of money.
I dunno, it just leaves a bad taste for me. The way he does the video seems like he's talking to kids and then the way he talks about it being available on the cheap and being able to get a deal when buying just sticks out to me as a way to get kids asking their parents for this. Especially seeing as it's Xmas time and kids are gunna be asking for expensive gifts off their parents, it feels like he's tryna capitalize on it.

He also mentions in the video that he's been working out since he was 15 which would plant seed in kids minds "Hey I'm 15/older than that...I should be working out, I need this machine!"

Like I said though, I don't begrudge him tryna make a few $$$ but this just feels dirty.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Now, my question is...Do you guys think it's a little unethical (seeing as he's a re-born Christian now) to blatantly and try to exploit his fans (who at this stage will be mostly around the teenage mark) by making a video like this. Especially assuming that he's in a stable place financially and the amount he'll be making by promoting this equipment isn't likely to change his life. Or alternatively do you think he's got every right to continue to earn as much as he can, even if it means trying to flog this gym equipment to teenagers.

To me it seems a little like exploitation, what do y'all think?
Strongly disagree. The guy is doing an advertisement for a piece of gym equipment. Since when is that unethical? He's not forcing anyone to buy it, just doing a plug for it. It seems like this whole argument comes down to you thinking it's exploitative for a famous person to make a video promoting something for which he's getting paid, which is a rather absurd assertion in this day and age. As far as the kids part is concerned, the "kids" who are young enough to want to get something just because someone famous has it don't have any money! And no parent is buying their child a total gym because HBK uses it.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I dunno, it just leaves a bad taste for me. The way he does the video seems like he's talking to kids and then the way he talks about it being available on the cheap and being able to get a deal when buying just sticks out to me as a way to get kids asking their parents for this. Especially seeing as it's Xmas time and kids are gunna be asking for expensive gifts off their parents, it feels like he's tryna capitalize on it.

He also mentions in the video that he's been working out since he was 15 which would plant seed in kids minds "Hey I'm 15/older than that...I should be working out, I need this machine!"

Like I said though, I don't begrudge him tryna make a few $$$ but this just feels dirty.
Fair enough but I don't see how it's any different to Cena wearing the full on Cenation gear not to mention bringing out a new colour every six months.

Is this a paid advertising job or just Shawn's advice? Either way, it's fine IMO.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Didn't even seem like an advertisement to me, and if it is, I would imagine the pay would have to be nothing to him. Maybe his fans ask how he works out, and so he's telling them, and this is what he actually does? I bet there are a ton of videos exactly like this that people do on their own without being asked by Total Gym.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts