Wrestling Forum banner

Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart

4825 Views 49 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  truk83
Will there ever be a better matchup specifically the 60 minute Iron Man match @ WMXII?

I know there has been some great matches over the years but can this be beaten in terms of technical wrestling ability on the biggest stage of them all? There are some that come to mind but for a gruelling 60 monutes was this the best matchup ever?
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
A lot of people consider that to be the greatest match of all time, and I can definitely see why. In many ways, I agree. In MY opinion, HBK/Angle at WM 21, though not 60 minutes, is just as good if not better. Even though there was no title on the line, the story those 2 told in the ring was so intense. My only regret is that we never got to see an Angle/Bret match. That would've been perfection.

· Banned
266 Posts
Most overrated match ever, in my humble opinion.
says the guy with Wade Barrah as his avatar,but its true,the match is nothing special,not even one of the better iron man matches.

· Registered
2,169 Posts
bret vs hbk iron man match isnt even the best iron man match ever let alone best match of all time!infact its not even a particularly good iron man match.

· Registered
7,589 Posts
Most overrated match ever, in my humble opinion.
Seeing how i am a HUGE Shawn Michaels mark it could be seen as blind markism but the match between Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart IS one of the greatest matches of all time and was also an innovative and groundbreaking match which set the scene for many other matches of the same kind. I wouldn't say it was THE greatest match of all time but it is certainly in the top 10 of all time and at the time was a HUGE match between the two standout stars of their respective era and one that set the scene for the most real feud in wrestling history.

My preference would be for Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker at WrestleMania 25 as the greatest match of all time and certainly the best at WrestleMania as that match had everything and had no slower spots like Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart but in all fairness that had to pace themselves because they were booked to go over an hour. It is probably the match that saw me mark out the most as Shawn Michaels is alongside Sting as my favorite wrestler of all time so seeing him finally win the WWE title after probably being the best all round in ring performer around for a year was a great moment for me personally.

· Registered
4,882 Posts
Its without doubt one of the greatest matches of all time and a match that helped to make the world championship look like a million bucks in the process. Two ultra talented athletes sweating it out for the top prize in an exhausting, admirable bout. A real shame that these two never had a Mania rematch....

The backstory for the match is also interesting with WWE showing HBK training like a lunatic and Bret jogging in the snow and being caught in a headlock by an old man. Okay that old man is wrestling legend Stu Hart but still it was very obvious the message that Vince was trying to send out - HBK is young, hip and the future and Bret is old, fatigued and the past.

· Banned
1,853 Posts
Seeing how i am a HUGE Shawn Michaels mark it could be seen as blind markism but the match between Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart IS one of the greatest matches of all time and was also an innovative and groundbreaking match which set the scene for many other matches of the same kind. I wouldn't say it was THE greatest match of all time but it is certainly in the top 10 of all time and at the time was a HUGE match between the two standout stars of their respective era and one that set the scene for the most real feud in wrestling history.
I guess you havent seen the hour matches people like Flair, Steamboat, Windham etc had in the 80s.

Lets not even start on Japan.

How was it in anyway innovative and groundbreaking in any meaningful way?

· Banned
1,853 Posts
Its without doubt one of the greatest matches of all time and a match that helped to make the world championship look like a million bucks in the process. Two ultra talented athletes sweating it out for the top prize in an exhausting, admirable bout. A real shame that these two never had a Mania rematch....
You realise thousands of people walked out during that match, right?

· Registered
4,882 Posts
Your post wasnt relating your own personal experience you were more definitive than that. It doesnt come remotely close to the long form matches Misawa/Kobashi had or 80s NWA.

The London HBK/Cena was much better too if you are talking about Shawn Michaels.
I wasn't being more definitive, I was explaining why I thought it was a great match. It made the title seem important, the two athletes had great chemistry, I enjoyed the patient pacing of the encounter and some of the maneuvers were sublime.

Cena/HBK is a horribly overrated match. Their Mania bout was a lot more effective.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.