Wrestling Forum banner
1841 - 1854 of 1854 Posts

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
55,041 Posts
November 11, 1996:

Overview: We are at the go-home Raw to Survivor Series 1996! Tonight, Shawn and Sid will team up and take on the British Bulldog and Owen Hart for the WWF Tag titles. In just 6 days at Survivor Series, Shawn will defend his WWF Championship against Sid. Can Shawn and Sid keep their cool and win the tag titles tonight from Bulldog and Owen just a mere 6 days away from their big title match at MSG? Let's find out!

Review: Owen attacks Sid from behind, but Sid isn't having it! Sid irish whips Owen chest first hard into the corner! Sid's power advantage on full display here before tags in Shawn who does a double axe handle from the top on Owen. Shawn clotheslines Owen over the top. Back from commercial, Shawn hiptosses Bulldog and tags in Sid who boots Bulldog in the mid-section. Bulldog hits a big suplex on Sid and misses a legdrop. Sid tags Shawn back in. Bulldog headbutts Shawn down, and Owen is tagged in. Owen hits an inverted atomic-drop on Shawn and kicks him in the chest. Owen and Bulldog work over Shawn in the corner as the ref is distracted.

Owen locks in a chin-lock on Shawn as the crowd begins to chant HBK. Shawn works out of it, but then gets clotheslined by Owen, as he tags in Davey. Bulldog peppers Shawn with some right hands before he tags Owen back in. Ref is distracted again by Sid as Owen and Davey work over Shawn by putting the boots to him. Owen hits a neck-breaker on Shawn. Owen goes to the top and hits a crossbody, but Shawn reverses it into a pin and gets a 2 count. Bulldog back in and they continue to double-team Shawn as the ref is once again distracted as they go to commercial.

Back from commercial, Davey is putting the boots to Shawn. Owen hits a spinning heel kick on Shawn for a 2 count. Shawn counters a suplex into a rollup for a 2 count. Bulldog back in and gets a 2 count on Shawn. Shawn has been getting his ass kicked this entire match for the most part. Shawn fights back with some punches, but Davey kicks Shawn in the nuts as the ref didn't see it. They double team Shawn some more, and Owen is back in. Owen hits Bulldog with a missile drop kick as Shawn moves out of the way and he finally tags in Sid!

Sid is cleaning house on Owen and Davey and chokeslams Davey! Shawn accidentally hits Sid with the superkick and Davey pins Sid for the win. After the match, Shawn gets hit with an enziguri by Owen and both Shawn and Sid are laidout in the ring as they go to commercial.

Analysis: Good match between the two teams. This was used as nothing mor to build more distrust and heat between Shawn and Sid and they did that very effectively as they go into Survivor Series just 6 days away. Very effective booking on display here.

·
55,041 Posts
18 years ago tonight; Team Austin vs. Team Bischoff at Survivor Series 2003 with Shawn being the last one left on Team Austin and putting on ALL TIME babyface performance. Every babyface in the world should watch Shawn's performance in this match. Unmatched selling, complete sympathy, and the crowd 1000% behind him. Meltzer gave the match 4.25 stars:

That insane blade-job:

·
55,041 Posts
November 17, 1996:

Overview: We are finally at Survivor Series where Shawn Michaels will defend his WWF Championship against Sid! Will Shawn get out of NYC with his coveted WWF Championship? Or, will Sid be able to steal it away? Let's find out!

Review: Sid definitely has the crowd behind him for the most part tonight. Sid knocks Shawn down and peppers him with punches. Shawn peppers Sid with punches and hits him with a crossbody for a 2 count and brings Sid down with a side-headlock. Shawn nips up out of a head scissors and slaps Sid twice, before Sid takes Shawn down and then slaps him in the face. Both guys trade right hands. Sid picks Shawn up before Shawn wiggles out:

Sid then goes for the powerbomb, but Shawn gets out of it and leaves the ring and regroups. Shawn chopblocks Sid and takes him down. Shawn starts to work the leg of Sid. Shawn locks in the figure-four on Sid to continue to weaken the legs of Sid. Sid reverses it before both guys unlock it. Shawn continues to work the legs of Sid. Sid kicks Shawn into the ringpost as he takes control and kicks Shawn hard repeatedly. Shawn moves out of the way and dropkicks Sid in the knee and then works the knee some more on Sid. Sid clotheslines Shawn over the rope and to the outside. Sid throws Shawn into the apron and slams him down face first onto the guardrail.

Back into the ring, Sid pins Shawn but gets a 2 count. Sid back body drops Shawn high into the sky and follows it up with a kick in the head. Shawn stunners Sid against the top rope. Shawn goes to the top, but Sid catches him gives him a backbreaker for a 2 count. Sid irishwhips Shawn hard into the corner twice as Shawn motions to Sid to give him more. Sid has Shawn leaning against him as he punches him over and over:

Shawn fights back with some punches of his own, before Shawn bodyslams Sid! Shawn goes to the second turnbuckle but Sid gets his boot up and this happens:

Sid then applies a million dollar dream on Shawn and Shawn goes down to his knees as he is getting worn down and Sid gets a 2 count. Shawn fights his way out of it, and goes for the superkick, but Sid reverses it into a chokeslam:

Sid then goes for the powerbomb and Shawn reverses it into a small-package for a 2 count. Sid then hits a powerslam and gets a 2 count. Shawn hits his flying forearm, nips up and gets clotheslined by Sid!

Sid gets a 2 count after that clothesline. Sid then grabs a camera from a cameraman and hits Jose with it as Jose falls down to the floor. Shawn then hits a superkick on Sid, but he sees that Jose is down on the floor and goes to check on him instead of trying to pin Sid! Shawn motions for the paramedics to come down and check on Jose. Sid then comes out and throws Shawn back into the ring. Back in the ring, they bump the ref with crossbody by Shawn. So, the ref is out, and Shawn goes back outside to check on Jose. Sid comes out and hits Shawn in the back with a camera now.

Sid then throws Shawn back in the ring again.

The ref is getting back to his feet and Sid powerbombs Shawn and pins him for the win and the title!

Analysis: This was a wild one. The crowd was firmly behind Sid here and it was a fantastic, fun match with lots of ups and downs for both guys. Best match of Sid's career bar-none. Shawn made Sid look like a million bucks here. This was the perfect time for Shawn to drop the title for a couple months and take a break, as he would then win it back at the Royal Rumble in San Antonio. This wasn't some big, bad thing for Shawn that had future consequences. This was the only crowd that booed Shawn all year, and he would go right back to being cheered after this.​

·
55,041 Posts
At a show that I attended, 19 years ago tonight at MSG, the first Elimination Chamber match ever, as Shawn would triumphantly win the World Title to an absolutely raucous ovation! Meltzer gave the match 4.25 stars:

·
55,041 Posts
14 years ago tonight, Shawn took on Randy Orton at Survivor Series 2007 in a match where Shawn wasn't allowed to use Sweet Chin Music. Meltzer gave the match 3.5 stars:

·
55,041 Posts
26 years ago tonight 1995 Survivor Series; Shawn Michaels, Ahmed Johnson, The British Bulldog and Sycho Sid (with Jim Cornette and Ted DiBiase) defeated Yokozuna, Owen Hart, Razor Ramon, and Shane Douglas (with Mr. Fuji).

Meltzer gave the match 3.5 stars. For some reason, only a short 3:25 clip of the match is available:

·
55,041 Posts
26 years ago tonight on RAW, Shawn vs. Owen. Owen knocks Shawn out with an enziguri as Raw goes off the air with Shawn knocked out in the ring and having to go to the hospital. Thought it was real when I was a kid, as did alot of people. Good match, too. Meltzer gave it 3.75 stars:

·
55,041 Posts
November 25, 1996:

Overview: 8 days after Shawn lost the title to Sid at Survivor Series, and we are in San Antionio to get Shawns' thoughts on Sid attacking him and Jose with a camera to win the WWF Championship.

Review: Jose says he wants to apologize to Shawn for losing him the title. Jose says his heart was damaged by Sid and he's going to hold off being on TV until he is sure he is healthy.

Shawn says that he's still the same Shawn Michaels and as passionate as ever and that he lost his edge, but what's done is done at Survivor Series. Lawler says that Jose cost Shawn the title. Shawn says that Jose has been in the game for 30 years and he can stick his nose where ever he pleases and Sid stepped over the line. Shawn says that Sid hit an older man with a camera and that was uncalled for and he wants Sid, and doesn't care about Bret. He is looking forward to Royal Rumble in San Antonio where he will tear Sid apart. Shawn says he doesn't care that the fans cheered Sid at MSG. Shawn says his agenda right now is to become Champion again but he will not beg for fans and if people aren't on his side, that's fine. Shawn says you will see him take more risks and be more flamboyant and he will do whatever he wants and that's what got him here and he's gonna do what he wants, when he wants.

Analysis: This was Shawn's first TV appearance since the losing the title at Survivor Series to Sid. This continued to the storyline with Sid since they were gonna have a match at the upcoming Royal Rumble in Shawn's hometown of San Antonio, TX. In this promo, you definitely see Shawn's old attitude that he had before Vince turned him into a white-meat babyface in early 1996. This was definitely more of Shawn's vision of his character in 1996 than Vince's. Shawn, was, of course, proven correct that being a white-meat babyface wasn't the correct move for his first world title run and that Vince was, in fact, incorrect. Big surprise there. Anyway, loved this promo and old attitude from Shawn that had been missing in this year of 1996.

·
55,041 Posts
32 years ago tonight at an MSG House Show; my favorite Rockers match took place as The Rockers took on the Hart Foundation. It's not the best Rockers match ever, but it is my favorite. Love the hard-hitting match these two put on. Shawn and Bret in particular towards the end really unloaded on one another. Also, love the mood and atmosphere that a darkly lit MSG exudes here just a couple days after Thanksgiving here in 1989:

29 years ago tonight at Survivor Series 1992; Shawn Michaels; as the Intercontinental Champion, took on WWF World Champion, Bret Hart, in a VERY GOOD and quite underrated match, in the main event of 1992 Survivor Series. Meltzer gave the match 4.5 stars:

·
55,041 Posts
30 years ago tonight at Survivor Series 1991, they teased The Rockers breakup as they were one month away from breaking up. Meltzer gave the match 3.5 stars:

16 years ago tonight at Survivor Series 2005; Team Raw vs. Team Smackdown, in a match Meltzer also gave 3.5 stars:

·
55,041 Posts
14 years ago today, my favorite WWE documentary (and one of the very best they ever made) "Heartbreak & Triumph: The Shawn Michaels Story" was released on November 27, 2007. Can't wait to watch this later tonight with a nice, cold beer and some Thanksgiving leftovers! Here is my autographed copy I got signed by Shawn when I met him back in 2011. :) :

1841 - 1854 of 1854 Posts