Wrestling Forum banner
1801 - 1820 of 1854 Posts

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
55,041 Posts
This is honestly one of my favorite matches of 2003 from Shawn. I feel like I have to say WM19 by default just because it is legendary and one of the best mania performances… however I always found myself watching this HBK/Orton Unforgiven 2003 match probably the most from that year
I always liked that match, too. It's such a well-worked match by both guys. One of Shawn's more underrated matches, for sure.

·
55,041 Posts

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
HBK ⚜️ SAINTS ⚜️ CSRO
2,736 Posts
I don't remember this one at all. Can't wait to watch it later tonight.
I remember watching it that night, but I’m with you… since then I don’t recall re-watching this one. I will check it out again later as well.

I’m thinking Michaels messes his knee up in this… it’s kinda coming back to me as I’m typing this…

Because taboo Tuesday which is the night after this HBK can barely walk and then goes through with the match against Hunter.

·
HBK ⚜️ SAINTS ⚜️ CSRO
2,736 Posts
@Showstopper man I just looked back at the match and I’m not exactly sure where his knee gets hurt… after the spot the three of them work from the corner around the 3:30 point… that’s when HBK is seen favoring the knee. I’m leaning towards that spot… although since Michaels was outside the ring for a minute or two before the spot, it leaves it open for debate

At the beginning of the match Michaels hits the most damn beautiful cross body from the ropes onto the outside I ever saw from him. That deserved to make those RAW intro montages back then… I was wondering if the knee could’ve even been aggravated there… but I’m not convinced of that…

·
55,041 Posts
@Showstopper man I just looked back at the match and I’m not exactly sure where his knee gets hurt… after the spot the three of them work from the corner around the 3:30 point… that’s when HBK is seen favoring the knee. I’m leaning towards that spot… although since Michaels was outside the ring for a minute or two before the spot, it leaves it open for debate

At the beginning of the match Michaels hits the most damn beautiful cross body from the ropes onto the outside I ever saw from him. That deserved to make those RAW intro montage back then… I was wondering if the knee could’ve even been aggravated there… but I’m not convinced of that…
I haven't watched the match yet, and I don't recall seeing back when it aired. I will definitely watch it tonight and see if I can spot it. But if it's not a super obvious spot, then I probably won't be able to tell, either.

·
55,041 Posts

At the beginning of the match Michaels hits the most damn beautiful cross body from the ropes onto the outside I ever saw from him. That deserved to make those RAW intro montages back then… I was wondering if the knee could’ve even been aggravated there… but I’m not convinced of that…
I just watched it and I am thoroughly confused. I didn't see where he hurt his knee, either.

But the odd part is, the rest of the match, it seems like he's selling his knee like it's a work and part of the match. Like, he tries to nip-up but can't do it, but it's like he couldn't do it on purpose and is just selling like it's not a real knee injury but just part of the match.

But you can also see multiple times during the match, Earl Hebner walks up to Shawn and says something to him multiple times, like Shawn is really injured and Vince is giving Earl direction in his ear-piece and telling Shawn what to do straight from Vince backstage.

But then if his knee is hurt for real, is he able to do his top rope elbow drop?? So, yeah, I'm confused and have no idea what I just watched. :LOL:

·
HBK ⚜️ SAINTS ⚜️ CSRO
2,736 Posts
I just watched it and I am thoroughly confused. I didn't see where he hurt his knee, either.

But the odd part is, the rest of the match, it seems like he's selling his knee like it's a work and part of the match. Like, he tries to nip-up but can't do it, but it's like he couldn't do it on purpose and is just selling like it's not a real knee injury but just part of the match.

But you can also see multiple times during the match, Earl Hebner walks up to Shawn and says something to him multiple times, like Shawn is really injured and Vince is giving Earl direction in his ear-piece and telling Shawn what to do straight from Vince backstage.

But then if his knee is hurt for real, is he able to do his top rope elbow drop?? So, yeah, I'm confused and have no idea what I just watched. :LOL:
Haha, It really does look like Michaels is trying to sell it like it’s a work. That knip up spot is definitely interesting, because that’s something Michaels would do to really work the fans when needed…

Either that cross body onto the outside or that 3 man sueplex spot did it I suppose… I dont think he even makes a large impact on the knee itself… I guess just something inside his knee could’ve gotten jolted just enough to move out of place or something.

Definitely not one of those obvious injuries we’ve seen before to a talent…

Taboo Tuesday is wild though. He cannot walk well, and he has the knee wrapped heavily I recall. I believe he has surgery after that point as well, leaving him out for a few months.

·
55,041 Posts
6 years ago tonight on Raw, Shawn and Seth had their promo segment with one another. I remember I went out this night to watch the Giants/Eagles game with my friends, but the game was such a blowout I came home early, and came home just in time for this segment. One of my favorite segments to this day:

·
HBK ⚜️ SAINTS ⚜️ CSRO
2,736 Posts
October has been a very fun month for Shawn, as I look back at all the amazing matches and segments he has been involved with…

Here’s another interesting night for HBK. Yesterday @Showstopper and I were looking back at that RAW triple threat match trying to notice where Michaels hurt his knee… nothing too obvious is seen right away, but nonetheless HBK favors the knee heavily.

The backstory to that is… it’s a shoot injury, and Michaels will step out of action after a look at this match I’m posting… I do recall WWE.com back in 2004 documented Shawn’s injury well… but not as a work… they were at the medical center and had taken before and after photos with Shawn waving and such things… I gotta go on a google deep dive and see if they’re still ‘out there’… anyhow…

Shawn wanted to gut this match out with Hunter. I want to say I heard an interview somewhere after this where Shawn mentioned WWE could’ve helped him stay off the card, but Michaels wanted to soldier through with the job and then have the knee fixed…

This is a shoot injury HBK works with, had to be very challenging…

Taboo Tuesday 2004: Shawn Michaels vs Triple H

·
55,041 Posts
October has been a very fun month for Shawn, as I look back at all the amazing matches and segments he has been involved with…

Here’s another interesting night for HBK. Yesterday @Showstopper and I were looking back at that RAW triple threat match trying to notice where Michaels hurt his knee… nothing too obvious is seen right away, but nonetheless HBK favors the knee heavily.

The backstory to that is… it’s a shoot injury, and Michaels will step out of action after a look at this match I’m posting… I do recall WWE.com back in 2004 documented Shawn’s injury well… but not as a work… they were at the medical center and had taken before and after photos with Shawn waving and such things… I gotta go on a google deep dive and see if they’re still ‘out there’… anyhow…

Shawn wanted to gut this match out with Hunter. I want to say I heard an interview somewhere after this where Shawn mentioned WWE could’ve helped him stay off the card, but Michaels wanted to soldier through with the job and then have the knee fixed…

This is a shoot injury HBK works with, had to be very challenging…

Taboo Tuesday 2004: Shawn Michaels vs Triple H
Yep. Unfortunately, I can't say I remember any of this because I was not watching in this time period. I still find it to be a very strange situation considering we couldn't find when he injured himself in the match. And I find it kinda crazy they'd let him work a match the very next night on PPV. I don't think that would be allowed to happen today. It's just a strange situation looking back on it.

·
HBK ⚜️ SAINTS ⚜️ CSRO
2,736 Posts
6 years ago tonight on Raw, Shawn and Seth had their promo segment with one another. I remember I went out this night to watch the Giants/Eagles game with my friends, but the game was such a blowout I came home early, and came home just in time for this segment. One of my favorite segments to this day:

This promo is so fun! Both of these guys nail this deal. Rollins plays the ‘heater’ sooo well for HBK, asking for them to ‘hit my music’… he drew the crowd in perfectly throwing the perfect pitch back to shawn, and he hits the home run. These two could have an amazing set of promos…

·
HBK ⚜️ SAINTS ⚜️ CSRO
2,736 Posts
Yep. Unfortunately, I can't say I remember any of this because I was not watching in this time period. I still find it to be a very strange situation considering we couldn't find when he injured himself in the match. And I find it kinda crazy they'd let him work a match the very next night on PPV. I don't think that would be allowed to happen today. It's just a strange situation looking back on it.
you are right they’d never let this happen today.

I remember shawn saying later that he had a big brace on under his pants, and it was wrapped pretty well… they obviously have to make the story of the match about him being hurt… but it’s all on Shawn to be willing to gut it out, which shows why he is the GOAT! 😎

·
55,041 Posts
you are right they’d never let this happen today.

I remember shawn saying later that he had a big brace on under his pants, and it was wrapped pretty well… they obviously have to make the story of the match about him being hurt… but it’s all on Shawn to be willing to gut it out, which shows why he is the GOAT! 😎
Yep. This is why just 5 or 6 months later at WM 21 in April 2005; he switched to the baggier pants to wear during his matches. He was now forced to wear Steve Austin type knee braces which were HUGE as you can see them on Steve's knees. But Steve wore trunks, not tights which cover the knee. So, the HBK 90's style tights were too tight for him to fit in the knee braces, so that's why he changed to the baggier pants in 2005 so his knee braces could fit. I always found that interesting.

·
HBK ⚜️ SAINTS ⚜️ CSRO
2,736 Posts
Yep. This is why just 5 or 6 months later at WM 21 in April 2005; he switched to the baggier pants to wear during his matches. He was now forced to wear Steve Austin type knee braces which were HUGE as you can see them on Steve's knees. But Steve wore trunks, not tights which cover the knee. So, the HBK 90's style tights were too tight for him to fit in the knee braces, so that's why he changed to the baggier pants in 2005 so his knee braces could fit. I always found that interesting.
I’m blown away. I never officially knew that he had to start wearing the brace full time. It does make perfect sense but I never knew that. I guess I somehow just suspected he changed his look just because he wanted to repackage the HBK character or something.

Hell, I’m glad you mentioned that…I want to say there were times I thought I noticed that large brace under the pants in the mid and late 2000’s. I just never connected all that haha 🤦🏼‍

I must say. I’ve really started to like the chaps/pants look. I’m starting to rank the styles I like best from all those lately haha

Ive always been such a fan of the 90s stuff, but I really like the chaps stuff quite a bit today.

·
55,041 Posts
I’m blown away. I never officially knew that he had to start wearing the brace full time. It does make perfect sense but I never knew that. I guess I somehow just suspected he changed his look just because he wanted to repackage the HBK character or something.

Hell, I’m glad you mentioned that…I want to say there were times I thought I noticed that large brace under the pants in the mid and late 2000’s. I just never connected all that haha 🤦🏼‍

I must say. I’ve really started to like the chaps/pants look. I’m starting to rank the styles I like best from all those lately haha

Ive always been such a fan of the 90s stuff, but I really like the chaps stuff quite a bit today.
Yeah, a very long time ago I saw him do an interview about it. He probably was also looking to change his look up alittle bit, too. So, it was alittle bit of a happy accident in that way. But yeah, this is what started to turn the wheels towards changing his gear.

·
HBK ⚜️ SAINTS ⚜️ CSRO
2,736 Posts
Continuing the busy month of October for The HeartBreak Kid… this match took place this day, 18 years ago…

Monday Night RAW: Shawn Michaels Vs. Goldberg

Michaels doesn’t hit his pyro on this entrance because they attempted to start this match earlier in the show, and Mark Henry attacked Goldberg… so it’s now the main event of the evening.

·
HBK ⚜️ SAINTS ⚜️ CSRO
2,736 Posts
24 years ago tonight on Raw, Shawn faced Owen Hart in a match Meltzer gave 3 stars:

Such a fun match! I always got a kick out of Michaels giving a shout out to some fans around the front row before the match starts… I think he may see the three guys who had ‘HBK’ painted on their chest at the 5:10 mark haha

·
55,041 Posts
Such a fun match! I always got a kick out of Michaels giving a shout out to some fans around the front row before the match starts… I think he may see the three guys who had ‘HBK’ painted on their chest at the 5:10 mark haha
That's awesome! Don't think I've ever seen that before. This is my favorite era of Shawn's career, so yeah, I enjoy this match. Shawn and Owen always had good chemistry with eachother, too.

1801 - 1820 of 1854 Posts