Wrestling Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 1427 Posts

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
53,267 Posts
January 21, 1996:

25 years ago tonight, Shawn's march to winning his first World Title began TONIGHT as he won the 1996 Royal Rumble, marking his second consecutive Royal Rumble in a row. Here's a little review I did of it after watching earlier today. I am starting the review at where Shawn came out, which is #18. Enjoy!

Shawn comes out to a massive pop and goes around the ring attacking almost everyone. Yokozuna and Vader are going at it against the ropes and Shawns goes for their legs and eliminates both of them simultaneously which the crowd loved. Shawn them eliminates his Kliq buddy, the 1-2-3 Kid. Crowd goes insane again. Vader would storm back to the ring and press slam Shawn outside of the ring:

Shawn eliminates Lawler. Hakushi and HHH almost eliminate Shawn, but he manages to sneak in under the bottom rope and stay in. Diesel and Shawn go at it as Diesel hits the ring. Owen almost suplex's Shawn out, but Shawn manages to hang on. Owen hits an enziguri on Shawn and Shawn sells it like he's really hurt (callback to the 11/20/05 RAW). Right after that, Diesel and Shawn team-up to eliminate Owen, as the camera almost misses it completely. Austin gets a cheapshot on Shawn and then celebrates by doing the HBK pose. :LOL: Owen comes back to attack Shawn, which would setup a PPV match between the two the very next month, in which the winner would face Bret at WM 12 for the title. I will review that match next month. Diesel saves Shawn from press slam from the Bulldog as Shawn then eliminates Issac Yankem (Kane) with a dropkick. The last four in the ring are Shawn, Diesel, Kama and Bulldog:

Shawn clothleslines Bulldog out of the ring to eliminate him. Kama gets Shawn over the top:

, but Shawn would skin the cat back in, and Diesel would eliminate Kama. What I like most about this Rumble match are the near-eliminations of Shawn and him finding a way to survive and keep himself in the ring. It highlights Shawn's determination, motivation, and toughness. It shows that he will not be denied after winning the previous year's Rumble, but then losing the title match to Diesel at WM. Shawn would be there waiting for Diesel to turn around Shawn would super-kick his ass over the top giving Shawn his second consecutive Royal Rumble win as the crowd goes nuts and Shawn slaps the mats with both hands multiple times in celebration!:

Referee Jack Down would raise Shawn's arm as Shawn stares down the hard-camera:

Shawn would then continue the celebration with his patented pose:

Hope you guys enjoyed that. Gonna try to write a little review for every Shawn PPV match (and maybe Raw matches, too) of 1996 since this is the 25 year anniversary of his legendary first World Title run in 1996.

Here is the video of the entire 1996 Rumble match. Shawn comes out at the 35:57 mark:

@Commissioner Michaels @DammitChrist Hope you guys enjoy this!

·
53,267 Posts
I've decided I'm going to try to do a short writeup/review for each televised Shawn match from the year 1996, including promos. Hope no one minds. It's not going to be extremely long or anything like that. Just semi short writeups like the one a couple of posts above this one about Shawn's 1996 Royal Rumble win that I did earlier today. Hope you guys enjoyed and it wasn't too long or anything. Let me know if you have any feedback on it one way or the other. Thanks.

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
2,569 Posts
January 21, 1996:

25 years ago tonight, Shawn's march to winning his first World Title began TONIGHT as he won the 1996 Royal Rumble, marking his second consecutive Royal Rumble in a row. Here's a little review I did of it after watching earlier today. I am starting the review at where Shawn came out, which is #18. Enjoy!

Shawn comes out to a massive pop and goes around the ring attacking almost everyone. Yokozuna and Vader are going at it against the ropes and Shawns goes for their legs and eliminates both of them simultaneously which the crowd loved. Shawn them eliminates his Kliq buddy, the 1-2-3 Kid. Crowd goes insane again. Vader would storm back to the ring and press slam Shawn outside of the ring:

Shawn eliminates Lawler. Hakushi and HHH almost eliminate Shawn, but he manages to sneak in under the bottom rope and stay in. Diesel and Shawn go at it as Diesel hits the ring. Owen almost suplex's Shawn out, but Shawn manages to hang on. Owen hits an enziguri on Shawn and Shawn sells it like he's really hurt (callback to the 11/20/05 RAW). Right after that, Diesel and Shawn team-up to eliminate Owen, as the camera almost misses it completely. Austin gets a cheapshot on Shawn and then celebrates by doing the HBK pose. :LOL: Owen comes back to attack Shawn, which would setup a PPV match between the two the very next month, in which the winner would face Bret at WM 12 for the title. I will review that match next month. Diesel saves Shawn from press slam from the Bulldog as Shawn then eliminates Issac Yankem (Kane) with a dropkick. The last four in the ring are Shawn, Diesel, Kama and Bulldog:

Shawn clothleslines Bulldog out of the ring to eliminate him. Kama gets Shawn over the top:

, but Shawn would skin the cat back in, and Diesel would eliminate Kama. What I like most about this Rumble match are the near-eliminations of Shawn and him finding a way to survive and keep himself in the ring. It highlights Shawn's determination, motivation, and toughness. It shows that he will not be denied after winning the previous year's Rumble, but then losing the title match to Diesel at WM. Shawn would be there waiting for Diesel to turn around Shawn would super-kick his ass over the top giving Shawn his second consecutive Royal Rumble win as the crowd goes nuts and Shawn slaps the mats with both hands multiple times in celebration!:

Referee Jack Down would raise Shawn's arm as Shawn stares down the hard-camera:

Shawn would then continue the celebration with his patented pose:

Hope you guys enjoyed that. Gonna try to write a little review for every Shawn PPV match (and maybe Raw matches, too) of 1996 since this is the 25 year anniversary of his legendary first World Title run in 1996.

Here is the video of the entire 1996 Rumble match. Shawn comes out at the 35:57 mark:

@Commissioner Michaels @DammitChrist Hope you guys enjoy this!
Just now stopping in here today haha

Awesome review! I love it! That would be amazing if you get around to doing anymore of these man. We would love to see anything you’re able to put together!

The Royal Rumble PPV itself is a very strong event for Shawn in his career. Especially back in the 90s. Seems like there were several years in a row where he came out the winner either of the Rumble match itself, or won/kept the WWF Championship. 95-98 would all be good for him actually!

love that gear Michaels uses here at Rumble 96!

The hell in a cell gear kinda replaces it and rightfully so later when it shows up.

But I gotta say this gear of his in 96 moves further up my favorites list all the time!

·
53,267 Posts
Just now stopping in here today haha

Awesome review! I love it! That would be amazing if you get around to doing anymore of these man. We would love to see anything you’re able to put together!

The Royal Rumble PPV itself is a very strong event for Shawn in his career. Especially back in the 90s. Seems like there were several years in a row where he came out the winner either of the Rumble match itself, or won/kept the WWF Championship. 95-98 would all be good for him actually!

love that gear Michaels uses here at Rumble 96!

The hell in a cell gear kinda replaces it and rightfully so later when it shows up.

But I gotta say this gear of his moves further up my favorites list all the time!
Yeah, the gear he wore on this night is very similar to his HIAC gear; black, gray, and silver. The only difference that I can see is the part of the heart that is gray in his Rumble gear here is kinda sparkly. Whereas the gray on his HIAC gear is just straight up gray with no sparkle shit on it. But the same color scheme for sure!

This was a weird Rumble that Shawn definitely breathed alot of life into when he entered it at #18. Love the finish with Diesel turning around after eliminating Kama and getting super-kicked.

I also read that Austin was supposed to be in the Final Four here and not Kama, but Austin accidentally got eliminated so they had to go with it and Kama wound up taking his spot in the Final Four. I wonder how many Rumbles something like that has happened. It really isn't all that hard to accidentally go over the top rope when someone is trying to push you over the top. And thanks for the kind words!

·
2,569 Posts
Yeah, the gear he wore on this night is very similar to his HIAC gear; black, gray, and silver. The only difference that I can see is the part of the heart that is gray in his Rumble gear here is kinda sparkly. Whereas the gray on his HIAC gear is just straight up gray with no sparkle shit on it. But the same color scheme for sure!

This was a weird Rumble that Shawn definitely breathed alot of life into when he entered it at #18. Love the finish with Diesel turning around after eliminating Kama and getting super-kicked.

I also read that Austin was supposed to be in the Final Four here and not Kama, but Austin accidentally got eliminated so they had to go with it and Kama wound up taking his spot in the Final Four. I wonder how many Rumbles something like that has happened. It really isn't all that hard to accidentally go over the top rope when someone is trying to push you over the top. And thanks for the kind words!
That is very interesting to think of, when it comes to ‘accidental’ eliminations. Man there’s gotta be a way someone could kinda put together a segment on a podcast or something with some spots that they remember getting messed up... that would probably be fun for a lot of people to hear that.

Austin being in the final four in this would have made PERFECT sense too. I never thought for a second that it was intended to be that way.

Austin would go on to obviously work with most of the top guys including Shawn. Hell that house show match they did in Texas in 96 has an anniversary soon I believe!...

That match instantly went with my top favorites the first time WWE released it onto the network.

But mainly that just proves that WWF thought very highly of Steve right away at the start of 96.

·
53,267 Posts
January 22, 1996:

Shawn Michaels Promo with Vince McMahon; One Night Removed from Winning the 1996 Royal Rumble:

Shawn comes out all pumped up just 24 hours removed from winning his second consecutive Royal Rumble. A fan is holding a sign up in the crowd that reads: "SHAWN MICHAELS THE LEADER OF THE NEW GENERATION:

Vince congratulates Shawn on his victory as Shawn says the last thing he wants to do is say, "I told you so", but he told you so. :) Shawn says he has a 3 step plan. Win the Royal Rumble, go to WrestleMania, but between now and then he and the Kliq have something to handle, and that would be Owen Hart for putting him out.

Shawn says no one talks trash in the WWF, but him because he and his Kliq are going to their dream, the WWF Championship. Jim Cornette comes out to the ring and interrupts:

Jim says if Shawn wants Owen, he has to talk to him because he signs Owen's contracts. Jim says Owen deserves all of the credit for putting Shawn out. Vince asks Jim how did it feel to watch Shawn eliminate Owen. Vince sticking up for Shawn :LOL: . Jim gets pissed off and says Owen has proved his point and there is no reason for Owen to give Shawn a match because from now on Owen will be remembered as the guy who knocked Shawn out. Jim says Shawn has nothing to offer Owen in order to give him another match. Shawn says he'd do anything to get his hands on Owen. Jim says if Shawn puts his title shot at WM on the line to Owen, they can then talk about another match. Shawn says he's waited 11 long years for this shot, Jim says he doesn't care. Shawn then asks the fans 'how bad do we want Owen Hart?' Shawn grants Owen the match, and says he is going to do to Owen what he is about do to Jim, and throws him over the top rope:

Shawn's music hits., he celebrates and the promo segment is over.

__

Good promo segment between two good mic workers in Shawn and Jim. They did a good job explaining why Owen is getting this shot at the next month's PPV for the title shot at WM 12. It's also a February IYH show one month before WM, they have to have SOMETHING on the show to sell and get fans interested. :LOL:

Anyway, I'll be back next week on the 1996 review train as Shawn takes on Yokozuna on the 1/29/96 Raw.

·
2,569 Posts
January 22, 1996:

Shawn Michaels Promo with Vince McMahon; One Night Removed from Winning the 1996 Royal Rumble:

Shawn comes out all pumped up just 24 hours removed from winning his second consecutive Royal Rumble. A fan is holding a sign up in the crowd that reads: "SHAWN MICHAELS THE LEADER OF THE NEW GENERATION:

Vince congratulates Shawn on his victory as Shawn says the last thing he wants to do is say, "I told you so", but he told you so. :) Shawn says he has a 3 step plan. Win the Royal Rumble, go to WrestleMania, but between now and then he and the Kliq have something to handle, and that would be Owen Hart for putting him out.

Shawn says no one talks trash in the WWF, but him because he and his Kliq are going to their dream, the WWF Championship. Jim Cornette comes out to the ring and interrupts:

Jim says if Shawn wants Owen, he has to talk to him because he signs Owen's contracts. Jim says Owen deserves all of the credit for putting Shawn out. Vince asks Jim how did it feel to watch Shawn eliminate Owen. Vince sticking up for Shawn :LOL: . Jim gets pissed off and says Owen has proved his point and there is no reason for Owen to give Shawn a match because from now on Owen will be remembered as the guy who knocked Shawn out. Jim says Shawn has nothing to offer Owen in order to give him another match. Shawn says he'd do anything to get his hands on Owen. Jim says if Shawn puts his title shot at WM on the line to Owen, they can then talk about another match. Shawn says he's waited 11 long years for this shot, Jim says he doesn't care. Shawn then asks the fans 'how bad do we want Owen Hart?' Shawn grants Owen the match, and says he is going to do to Owen what he is about do to Jim, and throws him over the top rope:

Shawn's music hits., he celebrates and the promo segment is over.

__

Good promo segment between two good mic workers in Shawn and Jim. They did a good job explaining why Owen is getting this shot at the next month's PPV for the title shot at WM 12. It's also a February IYH show one month before WM, they have to have SOMETHING on the show to sell and get fans interested. :LOL:

Anyway, I'll be back next week on the 1996 review train as Shawn takes on Yokozuna on the 1/29/96 Raw.
Great review! Love that new generation sign thats in the crowd there.

It’s so interesting watching Michaels and Corny have a segment together like this haha. I don’t think friction was between them just yet at that point. I get the feeling that would reach its peak starting later in 1996, but I’m just guessing of course...

And I think the WWF was definitely trying to sell the IYH PPV by putting Shawn’s title shot ‘up for grabs’ haha. I guess it was a pretty solid idea at the time

·
53,267 Posts
Great review! Love that new generation sign thats in the crowd there.

It’s so interesting watching Michaels and Corny have a segment together like this haha. I don’t think friction was between them just yet at that point. I get the feeling that would reach its peak starting later in 1996, but I’m just guessing of course...

And I think the WWF was definitely trying to sell the IYH PPV by putting Shawn’s title shot ‘up for grabs’ haha. I guess it was a pretty solid idea at the time
Yeah, I agree. I don't think Shawn and Jim had heat until 1997 when Shawn kinda went nuts, haha. They had a really good back and forth segment here with Vince hosting. Three good talkers in the ring at the same time there.

And yeah, I have no problem with them putting Shawn's title shot on the line for that match. They needed some kind of selling point for that show other than just Bret/Diesel when it was pretty obvious who would win that match.

·
53,267 Posts
32 years ago tonight at MSG, The Rockers took on the Arn & Tully; the Brainbusters. I've said it before, but these guys had my favorite series of tag matches ever. This is another great match-up between the two teams:

·
2,569 Posts
Using a gif from February of 97 in my sig for a few minutes going forward...

Never wanna forget how close we were to not seeing Michaels continue competing in the year of 1997. Just think... we could have never known of the companies best heel run(HBK 97-98) IMO, if his knee wasn’t able to make a recovery. So many matches including his return to the ring later in 97, when he tagged with Austin to win the tag titles off of Owen and Davey Boy... which has gone onto being my all time personal favorite match.

Michaels when he had to forfeit the WWF Championship. A bummer it is, but just think how cool it was he was able to return later in the year.:)

·
53,267 Posts
Using a gif from February of 97 in my sig for a few minutes going forward...

Never wanna forget how close we were to not seeing Michaels continue competing in the year of 1997. Just think... we could have never known of the companies best heel run(HBK 97-98) IMO, if his knee wasn’t able to make a recovery. So many matches including his return to the ring later in 97, when he tagged with Austin to win the tag titles off of Owen and Davey Boy... which has gone onto being my all time personal favorite match.

Michaels when he had to forfeit the WWF Championship. A bummer it is, but just think how cool it was he was able to return later in the year.:)

View attachment 96348
His look and charisma was at it's best in this era, IMO. Just looked like an absolute rock-star in this era. Thank goodness they got it right and turned him heel later in the year. Better late than never.

·
2,569 Posts
24 years ago today, Shawn Michaels and Mankind work a house show match inside Madison Square Garden! Love Michaels gear!

This would go on to be one of the few times Shawn works in the ring as WWF Champion during his second title reign...

1321 - 1340 of 1427 Posts