Wrestling Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 1330 Posts

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
53,079 Posts
23 years ago tonight, I was at MSG for a WWF House Show. This was 8 days before Shawn would injure his back at the Royal Rumble, so I got to see one of his last matches before the back injury. This was the time period in which HHH was injured and was going to the ring with Shawn on crutches. So, the match was Shawn and the New Age Outlaws vs. Undertaker and LOD in a steel cage match. Shawn was about to climb over the top of the cage when Owen Hart came out of the crowd and knocked Shawn of off the top of the cage and into the Undertaker's arms for a tombstone which won the match. After the match, when Taker and LOD left the ring, Shawn walked the entire length of the ring on the top rope while holding onto the top of the cage and with the Title in his other hand as the DX music played. It was awesome. Little did I know just 8 days later his career and life would never be the same again.

Also, earlier in this day, in my hometown, since it's only like 15-20 mins from MSG, The Rock and D-Lo Brown came to a pizzeria for a meet and greet and I got to meet both guys. It was a really fun day. I have the polaroid of me, Rock, and D-Lo somewhere in this house, but I have no idea where.

Unfortunately, there is no video of this match online anywhere. I've been looking for it for years, and it's nowhere, sadly.

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
2,528 Posts
23 years ago tonight, I was at MSG for a WWF House Show. This was 8 days before Shawn would injure his back at the Royal Rumble, so I got to see one of his last matches before the back injury. This was the time period in which HHH was injured and was going to the ring with Shawn on crutches. So, the match was Shawn and the New Age Outlaws vs. Undertaker and LOD in a steel cage match. Shawn was about to climb over the top of the cage when Owen Hart came out of the crowd and knocked Shawn of off the top of the cage and into the Undertaker's arms for a tombstone which won the match. After the match, when Taker and LOD left the ring, Shawn walked the entire length of the ring on the top rope while holding onto the top of the cage and with the Title in his other hand as the DX music played. It was awesome. Little did I know just 8 days later his career and life would never be the same again.

Also, earlier in this day, in my hometown, since it's only like 15-20 mins from MSG, The Rock and D-Lo Brown came to a pizzeria for a meet and greet and I got to meet both guys. It was a really fun day. I have the polaroid of me, Rock, and D-Lo somewhere in this house, but I have no idea where.

Unfortunately, there is no video of this match online anywhere. I've been looking for it for years, and it's nowhere, sadly.
so cool you got to see prime HBK work during what would be the last week THAT dudes in ring career. Man he had to adjust so much his style after Royal Rumble 98... it’s such a damn bummer to look back and see what happens in that event. Crazier that Shawn tried to work and bump like normal at WM14... man that match is grueling to watch. Just watching Shawn’s reactions and things and he’s toughing through that night in the ring...yikes.

I miss ‘in ring’ 90s HBK... that dude was one of a kind... others have come along and been inspired by his work and they try to emulate his style... but no one can touch 90s Michaels...

@Showstopper U said once before, Michaels wore the Montreal gear this night at MSG?

·
2,528 Posts
Sucks even more... Rumble 98 was the first PPV i ordered live. I had been watching for years but finally got on board ordering the live shows... and shawns career forever is changed that evening 🤦‍♂️

·
53,079 Posts
so cool you got to see prime HBK work during what would be the last week THAT dudes in ring career. Man he had to adjust so much his style after Royal Rumble 98... it’s such a damn bummer to look back and see what happens in that event. Crazier that Shawn tried to work and bump like normal at WM14... man that match is grueling to watch. Just watching Shawn’s reactions and things and he’s toughing through that night in the ring...yikes.

I miss ‘in ring’ 90s HBK... that dude was one of a kind... others have come along and been inspired by his work and they try to emulate his style... but no one can touch 90s Michaels...

@Showstopper U said once before, Michaels wore the Montreal gear this night at MSG?
Yeah, he was wearing the Montreal tights from what I can remember. I just wish I could find the match somewhere. :LOL:

·
2,528 Posts
History for Shawn Michaels and WWF takes place today!!!

The first ever WWF Monday Night RAW took place on this day 28 years ago!

Shawn Michaels in his first ever RAW match goes up against Max Moon! Love this era of Shawn Michaels so much!

·
53,079 Posts
11 years ago tonight on Raw, Mike Tyson comes back to Raw and teams with Chris Jericho to take on Shawn and Triple H. Tyson turns on Jericho and makes up with Shawn after turning on him at WM 14. Good long-term story-telling there. Glad they didn't just have Tyson show up and be on good terms with DX and act like WM 14 never happened. Can't believe it's been 10 years! This is a pretty good day (January 11) in HBK History because you have this with Tyson and Shawn having a match on the first RAW ever on this date in 1993 as @Commissioner Michaels posted above. Anyway, here's the Tyson match:

·
2,528 Posts
11 years ago tonight on Raw, Mike Tyson comes back to Raw and teams with Chris Jericho to take on Shawn and Triple H. Tyson turns on Jericho and makes up with Shawn after turning on him at WM 14. Good long-term story-telling there. Glad they didn't just have Tyson show up and be on good terms with DX and act like WM 14 never happened. Can't believe it's been 10 years! This is a pretty good day (January 11) in HBK History because you have this with Tyson and Shawn having a match on the first RAW ever on this date in 1993 as @Commissioner Michaels posted above. Anyway, here's the Tyson match:

man truthfully... I’ve never seen that tag match right there. There’s a few things in Shawn’s last couple years where I missed live. Due to odd work schedules around that time some stuff got by my radar.

I caught the thing where Tyson inducts DX... I think it was the HOF several years back... I wasn’t even aware he had a tag match with DX 11 years ago :LOL: 🤦‍♂️

·
53,079 Posts
man truthfully... I’ve never seen that tag match right there. There’s a few things in Shawn’s last couple years where I missed live. Due to odd work schedules around that time some stuff got by my radar.

I caught the thing where Tyson inducts DX... I think it was the HOF several years back... I wasn’t even aware he had a tag match with DX 11 years ago :LOL: 🤦‍♂️
Yeah, this match isn't at the forefront of my mind when it comes to his matches, either. I just go to WWE Network, and go to the Raw section, and go by the year and look for that day's date and see if Shawn has a match on that date. This one popped up, and I was surprised. Forgot about it. But it is cool to see everything with Tyson from WM 14 come full circle just a few months before Shawn retires. Especially considering how bad of shape he was in at WM 14 with is body and drug issues.

·
Registered
158 Posts

I don't have the WWE network, but are they starting to put more house show and dark matches on there? Maybe this one ends up on there someday.

·
53,079 Posts
32 years ago tonight, The Rockers took on the Brainbusters at Boston Garden. Rockers/Brainbusters are my favorite series of tag matches ever. Shawn going up against his first favorite wrestler ever in Tully Blanchard and seeing the chemistry these guys have with eachother is amazing. Pretty sure this is the first match they had with eachother:

·
2,528 Posts
I cannot believe I let this one slide by... This match would have had it’s anniversary last week... this match took place 01-04-1997 at a House Show.

Shawn Michaels Vs Stone Cold Steve Austin

What’s really great about Shawn and Steve is that every match that is uploaded/released on video is entirely different... whether it be from a house show, TV, PPV... I find that to be the touch of greatness by two total pros.

They could have EASILY worked the same match for house shows... they could have at least run the same types of sequences and spots to make it easier on themselves and just kinda ‘phone it in’... but NOPE!

I recall talking with @Showstopper at one point in the past about this particular match. It’s very well done, but has a different flow than any other bout between the two...

At the end its very eye opening to see how Shawn and Bret interact with each other after Bret makes an appearance...

you could tell only four days into 1997 and these two are CLEARLY not on the same page here... they each No Sell each others finish, which is very interesting as I’ve not seen either go to that measure before especially in that era...

Fun Video either way. Glad the owner done what they done to let it be out there for us to have seen...

I cannot imagine how all the house matchea between Shawn and Steve would look if we were able to check them out. I strongly feel they would each be something a little different which is incredible!

·
2,528 Posts
dude Michaels works this match like a LEGIT PPV match. I mean he’s full throttle as if this was a fan video recording from an actual PPV lol

The GOAT didn’t just work the domes brother! The GOAT worked your battle creek Michigan’s as well... and he worked them as hard as he could haha

·
2,528 Posts
32 years ago tonight, The Rockers took on the Brainbusters at Boston Garden. Rockers/Brainbusters are my favorite series of tag matches ever. Shawn going up against his first favorite wrestler ever in Tully Blanchard and seeing the chemistry these guys have with eachother is amazing. Pretty sure this is the first match they had with eachother:

Arn Anderson and Tully are bad ass truckers!!!

I always liked Arn Anderson and I recall him always having good things to say about Michaels which is really nice. I think Arn talks on one of Shawn’s DVDs...

Is it the one they released in 2003 with some of his ‘best of’ matches up to that date? Its the DVD with his Royal Rumble 2003 entrance pyro photographed on the cover...

I always felt like Arn respected Michaels a lot ever since those early days. I really need to get more familiar with the whole series between The Rockers and Arn/Tully

·
53,079 Posts
I cannot believe I let this one slide by... This match would have had it’s anniversary last week... this match took place 01-04-1997 at a House Show.

Shawn Michaels Vs Stone Cold Steve Austin

What’s really great about Shawn and Steve is that every match that is uploaded/released on video is entirely different... whether it be from a house show, TV, PPV... I find that to be the touch of greatness by two total pros.

They could have EASILY worked the same match for house shows... they could have at least run the same types of sequences and spots to make it easier on themselves and just kinda ‘phone it in’... but NOPE!

I recall talking with @Showstopper at one point in the past about this particular match. It’s very well done, but has a different flow than any other bout between the two...

At the end its very eye opening to see how Shawn and Bret interact with each other after Bret makes an appearance...

you could tell only four days into 1997 and these two are CLEARLY not on the same page here... they each No Sell each others finish, which is very interesting as I’ve not seen either go to that measure before especially in that era...

Fun Video either way. Glad the owner done what they done to let it be out there for us to have seen...

I cannot imagine how all the house matchea between Shawn and Steve would look if we were able to check them out. I strongly feel they would each be something a little different which is incredible!

Shawn had chemistry with everybody. It's insane. He's the GOAT for a reason. Eat your heart out, Okadaaaaaa. :LOL:

1281 - 1300 of 1330 Posts