Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of the storylines that confused the hell out of me as a kid. Maybe I missed part of an episode, so I was always unsure what was going on with Shawn Michaels. Talking of course about his involvement with both DeGeneration X and the Corporation, in late 1998-early 1999.

So, Shawn is named WWF Commissioner and gives X-Pac a Title shot with The Rock. As we know, Shawn hits X-Pac with a chair, screwing him over, and joining the Corporation.

Fast forward a bit, Shawn is full Corporation, owning X-Pac and Triple H in a promo, before eventually being "fired" by Vince McMahon.

This is where I got lost as a kid. Shawn Michaels is back with DeGeneration X. Wait, you just fucked them over, X-Pac especially, so why are they fine with you again? Or are they...

In the video above, we see an interesting meeting between DX and Shawn, where Shawn says "I'll be right back." Triple H replies, after Shawn leaves, "Maybe, maybe not." That's where the Corporation beats down Shawn and leaves him in a pool of blood.

So, was this just a situation where DX and Corporation both want Shawn taken down for his bullshit, with just great timing? Or was there something deeper involved, DX and Corporation helping each other out, with a common foe? Seems a bit coincidental that when Triple H locks Shawn out of the building, the Corporation is already waiting for him outside... Hmmm...

And to my knowledge, when Shawn returned before Mania XV, non of this was mentioned or talked about. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, he says "I brought the cavalry with me." But that's it. Doesn't really explain why though.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
I think it was the first teaser for the Chyna/HHH turn on DX, in reality, Shawn went to do a back surgery around that time and there were strong rumors about a HBK/HHH match for WM15. They just needed to write him off TV and that was one way to do it. I miss the Russo style skits, all the backstage/parking lot segments, nobody was better than him in telling a story like that.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ I agree, it was a good way to write him off. And if it was a teaser of Triple H / Chyna turning, what about X-Pac? After Triple H says "Maybe, maybe not", you can hear X-Pac say, "What goes around comes around", I guess referring to the revenge Shawn's going to get for the chairshot.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
It wasn't really a storyline but more of a side thing as Shawn Michaels had come in as a commissioner and then turned heel to join The Corporation but his heel turn happened against D-Generation X who were feuding with The Corporation at the time if i remember right. Then Shawn Michaels turned face again and because of that he tried to side with D-Generation X who made out they were cool with him but really were not and i think it was later made out to be seen as Triple H had set Shawn Michaels up because he was secretly joining The Corporation soon afterwards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts