Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
You know who I am, but you don't know why I'm here
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shane was one of the best spot-monkeys in the biz. The guy sold it like no other, and the fact that he wasn't 'one of the guys' made his work even more remarkable.

His mic work was awesome too. He could work the stick and sell any feud.

Add to that his ability to tell a story in the ring or ringside, or just during a feud from anywhere, and you've got a pretty impressive package.

So here's the question: most consider Shane great at 'what he did', but how good do you think he could have been if he committed himself as an actual wrestler? What style would suit him? Brawler, mat technician, etc.?

Personally, I think he could've been a Jeff Jarrett-like talent (so, upper middle carder) based purely on talent if he would've spent time with basic holds and in-ring work. Add to that his willingness to put it all on the line in high spots, and now you've got a pretty unique talent who can tell a story and work the mic. He'd never be a top-tier technician, but if he could be an average in-ring worker, combined with his other skills, I think Shane could've had a nice career as a high mid-carder to semi-main eventer.

I'm not talking a MAIN main eventer, so calm down... just a guy who could occasionally step into some big feuds. He worked great with the Rock, Austin, and Big Show. I think he could've held his own if he went in that direction.

Completely hypothetical, but I'm just wondering if people feel he had the inherent talent to actually make a go of it, aside from his spot-fests, etc. that he became famous for.

(Currently watching him vs. Blackman at Summerslam 2000... bless Shane-O Mac)

·
Know Your Worth
10,729 Posts
If Shane dedicated himself to being a full time wrestler he would have been a main event player based on his last name alone.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
With the right training I believe he would make a excellant wrestler.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I remember reading from a few sources years ago that the reason Shane did so many crazy stunts and crazy moves was because he felt like he needed to prove himself to the guys in the back that he didn't just get there because of his dad.

Shane didn't wrestle much but he was always a favorite of mine to watch because you knew you were going to see some cool shit.

·
ѪѺѪ
1,234 Posts
Always enjoyed seeing Shane-O Mac back in the day not so much the stuff with Kane/DX/Orton later on he was just fun to watch and the stuff he did was insane. The main match I love of his was his KOTR Street Fight against Kurt Angle and of course his match with Blackman from SummerSlam was awesome.

I figured he would return sooner or later with that talk of him stepping down from his CEO spot from that Broadband business in China he has been doing the last few years it would of been a good time to come back into the fold with Stephanie/Triple H taking over WWE there could be something there for them to cook up a feud that HHH stepped in the role Shane should of gotten or something.

Either way, fun character and always went out of his way to do crazy spots in his matches I think he would of been an awesome midcard talent at best I dunno if he would of wanted to go any higher I dunno I just never got that vibe that he put himself over higher then actual wrestlers if that makes sense. I hope he returns one day again cause who doesn't love hearing that theme song of his and pop for it...

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I remember reading from a few sources years ago that the reason Shane did so many crazy stunts and crazy moves was because he felt like he needed to prove himself to the guys in the back that he didn't just get there because of his dad.

Shane didn't wrestle much but he was always a favorite of mine to watch because you knew you were going to see some cool shit.
I read that too, & I think that's also one of the reasons so many fans like him, he succeeded in proving that he would have been successful even without his last name.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
Considering the limited in ring experience he had when he first started working in 1999 he was quite good. He enjoyed them high spots and considering who he was and the position he was in the company at the time didn't need to do them. I think he was the only one out of the McMahon family who really loved the business I guess aside from Hunter though he married into the family so I don't really count him. If Shane had taken 1997 and 1998 training and goes onto wrestle on and off again from 1999 to 2009 he would actually be pretty darn good.

·
The Loose Cannon
5,833 Posts
I loved Shane O'mac, his range as a performer was off the scale. He could be all corporate, wreckless and some of those SPOTS... :mark:

When he showed up on Nitro though :eek:

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Considering the limited in ring experience he had when he first started working in 1999 he was quite good. He enjoyed them high spots and considering who he was and the position he was in the company at the time didn't need to do them. I think he was the only one out of the McMahon family who really loved the business I guess aside from Hunter though he married into the family so I don't really count him. If Shane had taken 1997 and 1998 training and goes onto wrestle on and off again from 1999 to 2009 he would actually be pretty darn good.
I have always respected Shane so much for this. I am sure he got a lot a freedom with writing his own stories and he chose to show the world that he is willing to go out and earn the respect of the crowd. I consider him one of the best spot monkey's ever and if he went to school and learned wrestling I wonder how far he could have went. Stephanie won't even allow herself to be humiliated anymore and Shane was falling 50 feet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts