Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still think there's enough of an ECW-nostalgia fanbase for a promotion like this to work, they just need to realize that's all they'll pretty much ever be.

"The Franchise" Shane Douglas's Extreme Rising promotion has announced that they are scheduled to return in December. They released the following statement and video:

It's been a very busy day here at Extreme Central. It is true that Extreme Rising Extreme Reunion will be back in action and debut at the "ARENA" at the corners of Swanson & Ritner in South Philly 12/28/13. Tixs on sale next Friday at 12 noon eastern on the website www.extremerising.com. It is also true Extreme Rising will premiere its TV show Jan 1st 2014. This stuff has been a long time coming. Thanks to all those you have BELIEVED and had/have FAITH! We know it was not easy --but nothing good is EVER easy! The official release will be posted shortly here. Like and Share the the video to everyone you know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,507 Posts
Is Shane still involved?

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
The problem with a promotion entirely based on nostalgia is you can't really ever offer anything new.

Let's be honest about it. Stevie is there champion and top guy, he's 42 years old. Sabu will be 49 by the time this show rolls around. Raven is almost 50. Sandman IS 50. Shane Douglas is almost 50.

Even the new guys they've brought in that weren't in (Or huge names) the original ECW are old. Matt Hardy is almost 40. Crowbar is almost 40. Who wants to see a roster of mostly 40 and 50 year old guys? 5-6 of these guys would of been great but when your roster is 12 ex ECW guys and a few WWE cast offs in their 40's you can't expect to consistently draw.

I do like Luke Hawx but not enough to follow this promotion regularly. I'm sad it's coming back because to be honest a lot of these old ECW guys need to just rest their bodies and get away from the bad influences that an "ECW" style show can have.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
Shane Douglas is now what he used to attack Ric Flair for being...

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Dreamer's indy seems to have the same concept and be 100% better run.

i will say things have been going downhill for TNA since Shane put Dixie and Vince on notice last year. :ti

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
I like the idea of this brand more than the actual execution and that's a major issue. It's probably a fun night out but watching the DVD's is a bit of a bore :/

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a promotion that uses nostalgia at all. I don't think you fall into a trap of "not offering anything new" or that being "all you will ever be" unless your booking is bad.

At the end of the day, this promotion will succeed or fail by the same metrics that EVERY other promotions succeeds or fails by. That's it. If it's good it will go on. If it's not it won't.

Now, for the fun stuff, what kind of TV deal do they have? Is it like ECW in the old days? Do they have to pay to be on TV? Because I don't think that's gonna work. It might make more people come out to the show on a consistent basis. But do they need that? Because they weren't running on a consistant basis before. Wasn't there a large gap between shows? And didn't they only do a handful of shows?

If they have a handful of affiliates, great. That's a great place to start. Cable? Even better.

What about the taping schedule? Is it gonna be like Ring of Honor where they can only tape once a month or every six weeks?

Or will it be like Portland Wrestling where they can go ahead and get into the studio every week?

I don't know if this will work out or not but I'm really hoping it does. Can't wait.

·
#BAYBAY
20,306 Posts
Don't think Shane's involved with the promotion anymore. As it says in the press release, Steve O’Neill will now officially head all aspects of the promotion.

Got no interest in Extreme Rising whatsoever, but like Emperor DC said, the only interesting news is that the ECW Arena is going to be back open again.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
The tv deal definitely something that interest me. I remember the preview video they did and it was awesome. If the tv show look like the preview video from a year ago, they have something great to offer.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Too bad about Shane, with all his knowledge and experience you'd think the guy would be an asset. Turns out no so much.

I have no problem with this promotion if it were done right. You need to capitalize on the ecw nostalgia vibe while creating new stars to take the place of these old guys. Make it more about capturing the idea and spirit of ecw rather thn it's aging, beaten down roster.

If I was booking this thing the first show would have been matches between ecw vets and top Indy talent that would be considered the new wave of extreme... You know guys like necro butcher, Sami Callahan, ect.

For the love of god, just bring in Steve coriono and his boy rob diminution and le them book it.

Here's the great thing about corino, he has no interest to cash in on any wave of ecw nostalgia which makes him the perfect guy to book this thing. He will create something new, and fresh plus he's from Philly and he has booking experience with one pw, puerto Rico, and his own promotion the Pwf.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts