Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never really got what Shane Douglas' character or gimmick was. I didn't watch ECW but have seen snippets from it. I'm not talking about dean douglas, I'm talking about the franchise character. What was that character supposed to be? I remember him from his time in TNA and couldn't figure out what his character was supposed to be. He also used to say " I will franchise your ass" which I always thought never made sense. I know various meaning of the word, but I could never make sense of that sentence. Could someone explain? I mean his character must have had more depth than the usual cocky, arrogant heel.

·
Registered
744 Posts
"The Franchise" was the guy who could carry the promotion on his back, have the best match of the night, be the best talker, get the women, be the MVP of the company basically. That's how I always interpreted the character.

·
Registered
161 Posts
His was basically what CM Punk is with the shoot interview gimmick. During that time ECW was known for doing these types of promos but Douglas’ character was known for doing this every chance he spoke. He just shot on anyone he didn’t like or didn’t have respect for in the business. Some of those being Ric Flair, The Kilq, Vince Mcmahon and countless others. The " I will franchise your ass" is just another way of saying I’ll kick your ass.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His was basically what CM Punk is with the shoot interview gimmick. During that time ECW was known for doing these types of promos but Douglas’ character was known for doing this every chance he spoke. He just shot on anyone he didn’t like or didn’t have respect for in the business. Some of those being Ric Flair, The Kilq, Vince Mcmahon and countless others. The " I will franchise your ass" is just another way of saying I’ll kick your ass.
So he shot on things not related to ECW while in ECW

And his finisher was called the franchiser
I forgot about this. This would make a lot of sense. Was this the belly to belly suplex?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The Franchise character was basically HHH's "The Game" character back when HHH was still a Connecticut Blueblood. Douglas' character was of a guy who thought he was "the best in the world," had the wins to back it up, and enjoyed bragging about how great he was. Only Douglas was more vulgar and not nearly as good as Trips. I'm a HHH guy/Douglas hater but even I'll admit HHH's "Game" character is a pretty blatant ripoff of Douglas' ECW character.

So he shot on things not related to ECW while in ECW
Constantly. It was probably his most defining trait. I hated it. It's like he's feuding with Sandman or whoever, and every single promo is about Flair, Michaels, other guys who have absolutely nothing to do with ECW. Then he might namedrop Sandman at the very end as an afterthought. Douglas was one of my least favorite classic ECW guys. I couldn't stand the blowhard.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The Franchise character was basically HHH's "The Game" character back when HHH was still a Connecticut Blueblood. Douglas' character was of a guy who thought he was "the best in the world," had the wins to back it up, and enjoyed bragging about how great he was. Only Douglas was more vulgar and not nearly as good as Trips. I'm a HHH guy/Douglas hater but even I'll admit HHH's "Game" character is a pretty blatant ripoff of Douglas' ECW character.
Didn't HHH wear the backwards leather cap just like Douglas too? "The Game" character was definitely influenced by "The Franchise."

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
He was ECW's mouthpiece, just like Sabu was ECW's in-ring prototype.

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Douglas was one of my least favorite classic ECW guys.
Same here. I did really enjoy his promos, but it never translated into finding his character interesting.

Most classic ECW guys gave you something special in the ring. RVD and Sabu were awesome, innovative high flyers. Dreamer could take a huge ass kicking. Taz was a good technical/power wrestler. But Shane's matches were usually boring.

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
I don't think Douglas really had a character. For the most part, ECW guys were loosely based on real life personas (except in the case of Taz). And Douglas was a pretty angry individual, especially from '96 onward. That leads to pretty great TV via promos. It was like he was saying what the rest of the guys in the lockerroom were thinking and from day 1, all the way back in 1993, Douglas was always touted as the future and the guy that would take ECW to the next level.

But in the ring, he was boring as fuck. I absolutely hated those matches with Pitbull 2. The 4 way at Heatwave '96 wasn't that bad until both Scorpio got eliminated. Without him and Jericho, that match sucked. I hated that gay ass belly to belly suplex. I can't think of 1 match from Douglas I actually liked. Probably the one the night Lawler invaded and Taz fought Sabu and immediately after beat Douglas for the TV Title. And that's only because the match lasted 3 minutes and the pop when Douglas tapped out was epic.

But, I still wish the 3 match series with Ric Flair happened. I'm sure those would have been some great matches, especially with Douglas being young and healthy at the time. On the other hand, I totally understand why Flair never wanted to do it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'd say the most similar somewhat recent character is MVP. The Franchise was supposed to be that cocky jock you knew in high school or college that dated the head cheerleader(Francine) etc.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I thought his whole ECW character was talking crap about others who held him down and that it was everyone else's fault except his own because he's a wrestling god.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Hate him. Really hate him.

He was decent at WCW but a horrible guy. No wonder the Kliq buried him- He was a big mouthed jerk who thought he is the best, that he's better then "Dick Flair" and Shawn Michaels. As Shawn stated, he was the hero of the apter mags, but he was overrated.

This guy whines that he can't find a job- I wouldn't blame the companies for that. He talks and talks but forgets to wrestle. And has a big mouth.

Basically, he thinks he's HHH but not nearly as good as HHH. A decent wrestler who thinks he is the GOAT. But he's clearly not.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think Douglas really had a character. For the most part, ECW guys were loosely based on real life personas (except in the case of Taz). And Douglas was a pretty angry individual, especially from '96 onward. That leads to pretty great TV via promos. It was like he was saying what the rest of the guys in the lockerroom were thinking and from day 1, all the way back in 1993, Douglas was always touted as the future and the guy that would take ECW to the next level.

But in the ring, he was boring as fuck. I absolutely hated those matches with Pitbull 2. The 4 way at Heatwave '96 wasn't that bad until both Scorpio got eliminated. Without him and Jericho, that match sucked. I hated that gay ass belly to belly suplex. I can't think of 1 match from Douglas I actually liked. Probably the one the night Lawler invaded and Taz fought Sabu and immediately after beat Douglas for the TV Title. And that's only because the match lasted 3 minutes and the pop when Douglas tapped out was epic.

But, I still wish the 3 match series with Ric Flair happened. I'm sure those would have been some great matches, especially with Douglas being young and healthy at the time. On the other hand, I totally understand why Flair never wanted to do it.

I thought Sabu also had a character.
I think that Shane thought he was the man at ECW, but towards the end I think everyone agrees that it was Taz.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts