Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week on WWE Friday Night SmackDown, we saw Gran Metalik have a great match with AJ Styles for the Intercontinental Championship. This marks the second straight week that Metalik has been featured on TV and he’s being portrayed as being more than just an undercard wrestler.

Vince McMahon has never seen much in Gran Metalik or any of the members of Lucha House Party but we will be seeing more of them on TV because of Daniel Bryan.

Bryan is said to be the person who pushed for the Gran Metalik vs. Lince Dorado vs. Shorty G vs. Drew Gulak number 1 contenders match that led to this week’s Metalik vs. AJ Styles match for the Intercontinental Championship.

Bryan is said to be a big fan of the work of all of the names mentioned above and, as previously noted here on WrestlingNews.co, Gulak’s storyline with Bryan that kicked off earlier this year was done at Bryan’s request and he has gained much more influence behind the scenes. This is also why Gulak was booked to wrestle Styles on SmackDown a few weeks ago.

Here is what a WWE source told us back in February about Daniel Bryan: “Bryan pitches a lot of his own ideas,” a WWE source said. “Sometimes Vince [McMahon] and Bruce [Prichard] will turn down an idea but a lot of the things he has pitched have been used on TV.”

Another WWE source told WrestlingNews.co that fans should expect to see more underused talent on shows in the coming weeks. There has also been talk of having Chad Gable drop the “Shorty G” gimmick. The same source says that McMahon has been more open to out-of-the-box ideas as of late as he looks for fresh ideas that could help boost the TV ratings.

Metalik and Dorado will be featured in the coming weeks in a feud with Cesaro and Shinsuke Nakamura over the SmackDown Tag Team Championship.
Source: Several underused WWE stars are getting pushed because of Daniel Bryan | Wrestling News

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
My dream for SmackDown is oddly becoming a reality, although it is much more of a soft takeover than I idealised.

Lucha House Party have been amazing in the ring when I’ve seen them. There’s no harm in giving them a crack at the Tag Team Titles. Chad Gable is a phenomenal talent.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Gable should definitely drop that stupid Shorty G gimmick. He should be a more serious wrestler, he's a former olympian.
He should beat Corbin in a big match to re-emerge at himself. Perhaps put him and Riddle together as a loose alliance with Kurt Angle “coaching” both. A Smackers Tag Title reign wouldn’t be awful. You can probably begin to put together a SmackDown Six kind of dynamic with Riddle/Gable vs. Nakamura & Cesaro vs. LHP. Throw Bryan and Gulak into the mix and drip-feed in the likes of Zayn and Thatcher/Lorcan/Burch. The permutations there are pretty long-lasting. Riddle & Gable vs. Zayn/Nakamura/Cesaro itself has nine permutations. Throw in a babyface to team with them in six-man tags. You haven’t even done any gimmick matches yet. Introduce Thatcher as a mate to Riddle & Gable, then have him turn. There’s an angle. You can do a trio tournament, a tag tournament, a round robin. And once you’ve got those teams locked down, that frees up your star teams to go to Raw — New Day and The Usos. Turn The Usos with Roman and have Big E get his big singles push there. That’s a splash of life on both shows. Or just keep them there with a main event focus.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,530 Posts
Just what WWE needs; another guy in charge who values ring work above everything else. Haven't we already seen far enough down this road that all it produces is boring TV. When is ANYONE in WWE going to remember that compelling TV requires strong characters, strong storylines, things the fans can invest in.

Game Of Thrones would have flopped if it was just an hour of battles every week with no reason given to care about why the battles are going on.

·
Angry at refs
3,235 Posts
Just what WWE needs; another guy in charge who values ring work above everything else. Haven't we already seen far enough down this road that all it produces is boring TV. When is ANYONE in WWE going to remember that compelling TV requires strong characters, strong storylines, things the fans can invest in.

Game Of Thrones would have flopped if it was just an hour of battles every week with no reason given to care about why the battles are going on.
That's the silliest comment I've seen on this site for a long time.
Nothing bad comes out of pushing unused/unutilized talent, either things stay the same or you get more interest in the product. Gable has already started a storyline with his heel turn, so that seems to outright make your claims of 'only ring work' to be bullshit.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

It isn’t like Lucha House Party and Gable are indy darlings or internet favourites though. They don’t have a hope of having stronger character development in the future if they aren’t featured on the shows. So all they have to showcase for now are their wrestling skills.

I would imagine that developing strong characters and strong storylines for them will come after they get featured enough on tv.

·
15,530 Posts
That's the silliest comment I've seen on this site for a long time.
Nothing bad comes out of pushing unused/unutilized talent, either things stay the same or you get more interest in the product. Gable has already started a storyline with his heel turn, so that seems to outright make your claims of 'only ring work' to be bullshit.
How does Gable having a storyline disprove my point?

Seth Rollins and co always have storylines but that doesn't change the fact they have zero promo skills and are devoid of any and all personality. A push doesn't magically make someone interesting, the talent has to be interesting and bring talent to the table.

·
Registered
11,820 Posts

Your criticism is misplaced. SD is already 75% storyline/sports entertainment. We have Fiend/Strowman and Alexa stuff, Sheamus/Jeff Hardy, Mandy/Sonya/Otis. Looks like we are getting Gable as Corbin's hitman storyline. Previous to that we had that weird stuff with Miz/Morrison and Strowman

No issue with people getting tv time. Gable got a push this week and had zero match time.

·
Angry at refs
3,235 Posts
How does Gable having a storyline disprove my point?

Seth Rollins and co always have storylines but that doesn't change the fact they have zero promo skills and are devoid of any and all personality. A push doesn't magically make someone interesting, the talent has to be interesting and bring talent to the table.
Your quarrel is with Bryan booking 'ring work' storylines. He's already proving you wrong with one of his first (known) stories, which is the whole point of your first post.

Bryan doesn't book on RAW, Edge does, so when there's a thread about Edge's booking, you can bring up Seth being featured.
I'm not surprised that you took this opportunity to trash on Rollins when he has no correlation with Bryan's creative. Stay classy, Eva.

·
15,530 Posts
Your quarrel is with Bryan booking 'ring work' storylines. He's already proving you wrong with one of his first (known) stories, which is the whole point of your first post.

Bryan doesn't book on RAW, Edge does, so when there's a thread about Edge's booking, you can bring up Seth being featured.
I'm not surprised that you took this opportunity to trash on Rollins when he has no correlation with Bryan's creative. Stay classy, Eva.
Errr no. Nice try Mr. pretend psychiatrist/mind reader.

My quarrel with Bryan isn't booking ring work storylines its that he's backing ringwork wrestlers. Thats the problem with WWE thesedays everyone in charge doesn't care about promo skills, or character ability, or any of that. Just ring work, and shitty, spotfest, no sell everything ring work at that.

There's always storylines, even thesedays theres an endless series of shitty storylines involving people with the personality of a shoe and the mic skills of a dog turd. My issue is people who bring talents to the table that isnt just the ability to put on a spotfest go nowhere. Bryan is just another guy who is going to get behind underused ring work guys, but not underused promo/character guys.

And I'll take any opportunity to trash on Rollins. He is without doubt the least talented Main Eventer of all time, and complete and utter garbage as a Pro Wrestler. The untalented doofus has no upside and no business being above the midcard.

·
I know I'm dope, but don't wet that.
11,707 Posts
Edge could be the reason for Ali getting tv time. Edge should push for Ricky (Riccochet), and Bianca for tv time.

·
Angry at refs
3,235 Posts
Errr no. Nice try Mr. pretend psychiatrist/mind reader.

My quarrel with Bryan isn't booking ring work storylines its that he's backing ringwork wrestlers. Thats the problem with WWE thesedays everyone in charge doesn't care about promo skills, or character ability, or any of that. Just ring work, and shitty, spotfest, no sell everything ring work at that.

There's always storylines, even thesedays theres an endless series of shitty storylines involving people with the personality of a shoe and the mic skills of a dog turd. My issue is people who bring talents to the table that isnt just the ability to put on a spotfest go nowhere. Bryan is just another guy who is going to get behind underused ring work guys, but not underused promo/character guys.

And I'll take any opportunity to trash on Rollins. He is without doubt the least talented Main Eventer of all time, and complete and utter garbage as a Pro Wrestler. The untalented doofus has no upside and no business being above the midcard.
You said "Just what WWE needs; another guy in charge who values ring work above everything else". You said ring work booking, not wrestlers. So, yes, you said he's going to push ring work, not ring work wrestlers. Moving your goalpost doesn't make you correct.

Bryan clearly cares about character work and promos, since he's booking a new character for Gable and giving promo time to Gran Metalik. If he was only interested in ring work, he would've just booked matches for them without caring about the rest.
Gable has proven time and time again in NXT that he has charisma, Bryan is giving him that chance again now. I don't know about Metalik cause I've never given a shit about him.

You say that, but Rollins is easily objectively superior to those like Luger, Roman, Del Rio, The Great Khali, Mark Henry, Umaga, Mr. Kennedy (if you can count his run) and JBL just to name a small few. If Seth has no business being above the midcard then neither do 99% of the current roster. By default, Seth is one of their top guys because everyone else either sucks so badly or they've missed their shot (Dolph for example) due to Vince blindly ignoring them, injuries, or whatever else.

·
Premium Member
10,975 Posts
Daniel Bryan's deal runs out in less than a year if I am not mistaken.

You bet your fucking ass WWE will bend over backwards for him and do what he wants so he wouldn't go to AEW at any cost.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts