Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Benson, Charisma and Camila Mendes Fan. King Of Th
16,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an interview with the San Antonio Express News, Seth Rollins spoke about criticism from fans online, stating that WWE’s audience tends to look for things to complain about. Here are highlights:

On his 2019: “This last year for me, 2019, was the craziest year I could have ever imagined. Things happened that I never even thought were going to happen.”

On the Royal Rumble: “The Royal Rumble is a really cool thing to be a part of, and when you win, that’s the company’s stamp of approval. They send you to WrestleMania, and you know that you’re going to be in some sort of marquee matchup. It never ceases to amaze me that I’ve got an opportunity to perform in multiple Royal Rumbles and even win one.”

On his heel turn due to fan backlash: “It is a different era than it was back in the day. Now, it’s easier to be an antagonist because … anybody who consumes entertainment has a voice to be heard. They can get online and say whatever they want, and even if one or two people respond to it, that’s one or two people more than 20 years ago when they were just sitting in their living room talking crap to their friends. … Our audience looks for things to complain about, to dislike and to pick apart. It’s such a short, short lifespan. If you can maintain being in that hero role for a lengthy period of time, you are doing something incredible.”
Source: 411MANIA | Seth Rollins Says WWE’s Audience Looks For Things To Complain About

Seth my boy, you were just gaining your haters back to being your fan.

·
Registered
295 Posts
While I hated Rollins' booking and also felt he wasn't suited for his babyface role, I somewhat agree with him. I have seen one too many times people online whining and crying to push this guy, push that guy, and once they get some sort of success, the very same fans start berating them with stuff like overrated, overhyped. The fact that so many people have turned even on Becky for example is just ridicoulous. The fanbase is very fickle.

·
Registered
203 Posts
While I hated Rollins' booking and also felt he wasn't suited for his babyface role, I somewhat agree with him. I have seen one too many times people online whining and crying to push this guy, push that guy, and once they get some sort of success, the very same fans start berating them with stuff like overrated, overhyped. The fact that so many people have turned even on Becky for example is just ridicoulous. The fanbase is very fickle.
It doesn't matter who is pushed and who isn't. Everyone is misused and everyone becomes stale after a short time period.

Don't get me wrong I don't think very highly of the modern wrestling fan, but the majority of the blame has to lie with the company.

·
Registered
481 Posts
He is right. Just look at this forum, for example. We're meant to be wrestling fans, most people that come on here do nothing but moan, moan, and moan about wrestling, and how bad it is. Wrestling fans are like nothing else, if you don't enjoy it, stop watching it rather than coming here to tell everyone how much you hate it every fucking day. Most people who don't enjoy watching things, stop watching and talking about it. Wrestling fans are fuckin' weird.

·
IM THE TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS!
926 Posts
He is 100% correct. You can count on one hand the amount of positive posts on this forum a week. The Fiend is a perfect example of how they can do nothing right In peoples eyes. Everyone is like....the fiends the hottest thing in the industry....should be world champ etc. As soon as they do that it’s all....he’s champ to soon and he’s stale. people Should just try to enjoy things for what they are.....not complain about every little thing.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
That´s generalizing way too much. Sure, some people overanalyze everything, and just look for something to complain about.
But the majority either like most of what they see, or silently hope it will be better. Unfortunately for Seth, his real-life behavior gets in the way for his ability to be a face, he´s simply not likeable.

·
\m/
22,628 Posts
"If you can maintain being in that hero role for a lengthy period of time, you are doing something incredible.”

Indeed, Becky for her part is doing something incredible.

·
Fearless University Graduate
14,971 Posts
The McMahons and their obedient little pet are such morons. Insulting your audience, that'll win you more fans...right?

Its not like we have to look hard for things to complain about, WWE just books a crap product. Same tiny group of people on top always, with no one fresh or exciting ever really getting a look in. Roster full of spot monkeys instead of Pro Wrestlers. Shitty storylines. The way WWE ignores everything outside the Main Event scene, and treats everyone outside of their group of lazy, untalented chosen ones like complete jobbers.

These are all massive issues that Rollins himself embodies with his lack of talent, laziness, and the way hes forced down our throats continuously because he's a McMahon pet.

He is 100% correct. You can count on one hand the amount of positive posts on this forum a week. The Fiend is a perfect example of how they can do nothing right In peoples eyes. Everyone is like....the fiends the hottest thing in the industry....should be world champ etc. As soon as they do that it’s all....he’s champ to soon and he’s stale. people Should just try to enjoy things for what they are.....not complain about every little thing.
I dont think anyone wanted Fiend to be Champion as soon as he did. It was near universal agreement that they needed to wait and have him win a few other high profile feuds first. But once they had him start feuding with Seth he had to win. A loss of the feud there would have killed the character outright, as it is his lose to Seth in HIAC did so much damage.

Then on top of this do you not think The Fiends booking has impacted peoples enjoyment. I was all for The Fiend being Champ over Rollins (though to be fair I'd take 99% of the roster as World Champ instead of that lazy, untalented sack of crap) but what the Fiend has become once Vince and co. got involved sucks. The red lighting, the complete no selling of everything, the copy and paste booking where he just does the same thing every week. WWE made people turn o The Fiend by booking him so badly.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
He's not wrong, like Cornette said a while back, fans these days are worse than people that hated wrestling in the 80s and 90s, at least non fans can appreciate the athleticism.

·
Since Day One
9,820 Posts
This is not a black and white issue, really. WWE is far from a perfect product, but that’s just it. The company is the way that it is, whether we like it or not. Overall, I can’t say that I like more than half of what they do, but I know that my individual complaining and boycotting will solve nothing. So what do I do? I don’t watch RAW. I don’t watch Smackdown. I keep up with NXT when I can. I watch PPVs and Takeovers. And that has a significantly positive effect on my enjoyment of the product. Sure, someone like Sami Zayn deserves better and Charlotte’s booking could improve, but I see prospects like Keith Lee getting a run and watch clips and videos of Drew McIntyre coming into his own as a babyface and suddenly, everything isn’t “the worst ever” anymore. To an extent, I get where Rollins is coming from. We have these so-called smart fans who know (or think they know, in some cases) what they hate and think that they have the booking patterns of the company down to a science, yet they keep sticking their heads in the parts of the show that smell the shittiest and act like they didn’t do it to themselves. It constantly surprises me how some of the biggest complainers of the product are the same ones that are willing to watch three hours of a product that they don’t like. From that perspective, isn’t it easy to say why Rollins isn’t exactly wrong. And this is coming from a guy who’s never been a big fan of his and has hated every significant world title reign he’s had.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
51,515 Posts
He's 1000% correct right. It's definitely not ALL fans, though.

For example, there are some folks on Twitter/social media in general where you can tell it's not just that they don't enjoy wrestling, but you can tell they have absolutely terrible lives and project their anger, frustration, and everything else onto other things as their way of venting instead of looking in the mirror and truly trying to fix the real problem.

I post on another forum now that is much more active and nowhere near as angry as other folks have been for YEARS who post the same old, boring shit for years on end and are actually more boring and predictable than the WWE product that they hate and claim to not watch anymore (yeah, sure you don't, as if you have anything else better to do with your awful life).

So, yeah, he's right. AND he's the best/most interesting character in the company these days as much as that absolutely ANGERS the shit out of some folks while their favorites are stale, boring, lazy, talentless trashbags that have been doing the same thing for years on end and don't even have an actual character still to this day and are too lazy to even change up their look/gear for the first time in years. Talk about lazy, holy fuck.

A Seth Rollins powered Raw outdrawing Lakers/Celtics this week. Enjoy that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
He is right . People who are fans of wrestler A but see wrestler B being pushed instead focus all their attention in finding flaws in wrestler B no matter what he or she does and then use those flaws to overblow them on social media like this forum in order to get other people to hate wrestler B so he can get depushed and then wrestler A have a better chance to get a push.

People on here always bash wrestlers like HHH or Hogan who used politics to get and sustain their pushes but the same people are just as manipulative as the people they bash.

They see a wrestler they like and make countless of threads and comments about how he or she is misused and held back in favor of other wrestlers and then spend most of their other time pointing out flaws including irrelevant flaws like someone’s personal life in order to make them look bad so their favs gets the push instead .

And when those wrestlers gets a Push then the other people who are fans of other wrestlers starts looking for flaws so they can get their guy cheered and the current guy depushed .

As a result the crowds sucks , no one gets a consistent positive reaction for longer than a couple months and the whole programming looks terrible on TV as crowds at either apathetic or chant random shit or cheer the bad guys etc.

So yea I’m with Seth on this one

1 - 20 of 64 Posts