Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I am not Stern, I would have been perma banned by now. It's just that
we have the facts to prove Rock was the better draw.
Rock was never really a draw on his own. He just inherited the house Austin built and had great booking on top.

Mount Rushmore should be Hogan, Austin, HBK and Seth.

Bryan should have been in contention but the company let him down.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
53,595 Posts
Anyway, I agree with that Mount Rushmore. Very solid.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Rock was never really a draw on his own. He just inherited the house Austin built and had great booking on top.

Mount Rushmore should be Hogan, Austin, HBK and Seth.

Bryan should have been in contention but the company let him down.
please give me the drugs u are taking

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The Rock took the WWF to heights never before seen, Smackdown was named after him.
The ratings in 2000 with Rock were MEGA POWERFUL without Austin there for most of the year. Ratings went down in 2001 when he went on vacation, upn threatened to cancel smackdown in 2002 when he left in the Summer. Rock had the highest buyrate for a WM ever 17 and 28.

And lets not get to his movie career that has nothing to do with Wrestling, but it still mops the floor with Stunning Steve Austin.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Why is this moron unhappy with the Rock? His return was beneficial for business and because of him WrestleMania did 1 million buyrate from 27-29 and the highest ever at 28. Whose spot was he even taking? Because they’re not even on the level of The Rock. He was de facto the face of the company and meant to lead the WWE into the 2010's decade, but he left for Hollywood when he hit 30 and WWE had to build a new face by going with Lesnar and then Cena.

Why don’t these morons complain about the Undertaker or Triple H who continually took a spot from every WrestleMania and always had the longest matches on the card. These fucking idiots always trying to underhand The Rock. WWE needs the Rock more than he needs them. He's the 3rd most followed person on Instagram with 227 million followers. The Rock is mainstream and always has been since his first run. WWE will always have a home for established legends like Rock, Austin, Hogan. They fucking built the company on their backs. Unlike garbage Rollins, one of the worst draws ever.
A lot of wrestlers hated The Rock when he returned. Cena, Orton, Punk, Hornswoggle, etc. Mark Henry said there was a lot of bitterness backstage. I guess from their perspective, The Rock was away for years and then came back and was pushed to the main event spot. Maybe they viewed it was unfair since they worked their asses off and someone was immediately pushed to the top without working for it.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
'My Mt. Rushmore is probably Hogan, Rock, Flair, and maybe Austin…Shawn Michaels is my favorite wrestler of all-time and I'd love to put him on that Mt. Rushmore and Triple H has contributed so much to the longevity of the business. But from a money-drawing perspective, those are still my top four." - Seth Rollins

lol, It seems that Seth had something he needed to get off his chest, the question wasn't even about who is better/bigger between Rock and Austin. I don't know whos he trying to impress.

...but ok, let's go there:

Austin main event run lasted from 1997 to 2003, that's 6yrs.
Rock main event run lasted from 1998 to 2004 and then 2011-2013, that's 8yrs.

As far as who is the bigger star during the AE, we can sit here and discuss this till the end of time, but at the end of the day, no rational wrestling fan would say " hey Austin/Rock was by far THE top guy of the AE", because those two were neck and neck if you strip away the booking.

I think the big difference is, Rock came back 7yrs after his first retirement, in an era when the wrestling industry wasn't doing that well when it comes to generating revenue, and he broke every WWE PPV record there is to break in his first singles match with John Cena, making WM 28 the biggest WM of all time. So saying that Austin was the one that was selling out the arenas...it seems to me that Mr. Rollins is clout chasing, and he's not even good at it. Rock wasn't just a supporting cast in the late 90s-early 00s, he played a major part.

Plus, Rollins was born in '86-'88, Sammartino's prime was in the 60s and 70s when it was still the territory era(which is very different than the era that Hogan, Cena, Austin, and Rock wrestled in), he wasn't even alive when Bruno was the top guy, and Ironically, Bruno wasn't even the biggest star in NA during that period.

I know, it's his opinion at the end of the day, but he should at least by consistent.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Rock was on top longer than Steve and came back and had big programs with Punk and Cena. Why does anyone care about Seth Rollins irrelevant opinion anyway? Was Shannon Moore not available or something? Seth Rollins is a nobody.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
A lot of wrestlers hated The Rock when he returned. Cena, Orton, Punk, Hornswoggle, etc. Mark Henry said there was a lot of bitterness backstage. I guess from their perspective, The Rock was away for years and then came back and was pushed to the main event spot. Maybe they viewed it was unfair since they worked their asses off and someone was immediately pushed to the top without working for it.
The Rock didn't take anything from anyone. He took the spot that was always his, much like Lesnar took the spot that was always his. They were the top dogs before Cena, but they don't say anything bad about Lesnar because they'll get their skulls crushed by him.

Think about it. If Rock returned full time, he would’ve gotten the top spot anyways and there's nothing they could do about it because it is Vince's company. Rock in his prime was making $15 million+ and that's without accounting for inflation. None of these guys can even come close to that.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Rollins is dead on about Austin over Rock in the AE. I think it is hilarious because I like both guys but without Austin taking off in 1997 WWF dies. Rock never even has a chance because WWF does not stay afloat.

Also Bret made Austin way more despite Austin taking 2 high profile losses to Bret than Austin did beating HBK in the ME of WM14.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
He wasn't some scrub they found on the street. He's The Rock. He earned his status regardless of whether you put him on a Mount Rushmore of WWE. If they felt like he needed to work his ass off to "prove" himself to them then they're idiots.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
'My Mt. Rushmore is probably Hogan, Rock, Flair, and maybe Austin…Shawn Michaels is my favorite wrestler of all-time and I'd love to put him on that Mt. Rushmore and Triple H has contributed so much to the longevity of the business. But from a money-drawing perspective, those are still my top four." - Seth Rollins

lol, It seems that Seth had something he needed to get off his chest, the question wasn't even about who is better/bigger between Rock and Austin. I don't know whos he trying to impress.

...but ok, let's go there:

Austin main event run lasted from 1997 to 2003, that's 6yrs.
Rock main event run lasted from 1998 to 2004 and then 2011-2013, that's 8yrs.

As far as who is the bigger star during the AE, we can sit here and discuss this till the end of time, but at the end of the day, no rational wrestling fan would say " hey Austin/Rock was by far THE top guy of the AE", because those two were neck and neck if you strip away the booking.

I think the big difference is, Rock came back 7yrs after his first retirement, in an era when the wrestling industry wasn't doing that well when it comes to generating revenue, and he broke every WWE PPV record there is to break in his first singles match with John Cena, making WM 28 the biggest WM of all time. So saying that Austin was the one that was selling out the arenas...it seems to me that Mr. Rollins is clout chasing, and he's not even good at it. Rock wasn't just a supporting cast in the late 90s-early 00s, he played a major part.

Plus, Rollins was born in '86-'88, Sammartino's prime was in the 60s and 70s when it was still the territory era(which is very different than the era that Hogan, Cena, Austin, and Rock wrestled in), he wasn't even alive when Bruno was the top guy, and Ironically, Bruno wasn't even the biggest star in NA during that period.

I know, it's his opinion at the end of the day, but he should at least by consistent.
That is a stretch with Rock. Giving him 6 years from 1998 to 2004. He won the WWF title at Survivor Series 1998 to be Vince's stooge for Austin to beat at Mania 15. Sure Rock got over in the Summer 1998 feuding with HHH over the IC title but he was not ME until he won at Survivor Series. He only became the top babyface after Austin went down with the neck injury at Survivor Series 1999. You can argue that but he was fumbling around with Mr. Ass at Summerslam 1999 while Austin was in the ME. Rock was top baby during 2000 and yes ppl always talk about the ratings in 2000 but you know why because it was 2000 WCW they were going against. After WM17 Austin turns heel but Rock begins his shift to Hollywood. After Summerslam 2002 he is done as a full timer and doesn't show back up until early 2003 and turns heel (even if it is some of my favorite Rock) definitely nowhere near a top baby. He then does one last hurrah as a "special feature" Rock N Sock vs Evolution at WM 20. I won't even touch the Cena and Punk stuff. Just a stretch to say 8 years on top when half (or more) of that he was "part time".

21 - 40 of 102 Posts