Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That Raw promo I just saw was not only one of the best promos by Seth, but of ALL time. I'm not going to say it will go down historically as even half as big of a deal as Punk's Pipebomb. But it was real, raw, impassioned, fervid, and delivered excellently, and literally touched on how awful/fickle we as fans/IWC have become in 2019. As he stated, "what does it take in 2019, what do I have to do, what is good enough for you people?!!!"
Seth Rollins the wrestler/performer is awesome, one of the very best in the world today. That amazing promo and many of his matches are enough for me to believe that. Now, the Universal Title reign definitely sucked but is that really his fault, or the writers/booking who book their bsbyfaces in such situations, give them those lines/script, and have them do stupid stuff like the Lynch/Lacey/Corbin feud?

And I certainly am not saying Colby Lopez the man is flawless or perfect, no human being or wrestler is. No top guy ever was. Austin, Angle, Sting had way worse of demons and flaws than Rollins and that only shows they're human. A bunch of tweets that seem stupid or unbecoming don't negate the talent of Seth Rollins the performer.

These same fickle IWC fans gladly accept Bray Wyatt as some sort of a big star or "most entertaining" part of SD. But look at his flaws. His matches are an utter snorefest regardless of those red lights, and that is particularly glaring in Windham Rotunda's Fiend.

That being said, Seth Rollins is awesome. That promo was awesome. And most of the other IWC favourites, fiend included are no better than him in the ring and ON the mic, worse, actually. It's just that a few months of horrible booking and a few tweets seems enough to turn an entire group of people against a man, who is only too human, with many more positives than negatives.

And don't even get started with "he sucks in the ring/spot monkey". Women's matches suck, the fiend's matches suck, Cringy Lynch's matches must be a cure for insomnia. I don't see why Rollins should be hated for the style of matches/wrestling he exhibits as a performer.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rollins promo was just as good as punks pipebomb in terms of quality - in the top 5 promos of this century - but it will never get the credit it deserves - people are too caught up in the past and the overrated legends of past eras - and everyone is so jaded these days -

had rollins cut this promo in 2000 - it would be seen as the best promo ever -
  • You could even say it was the Pipebomb of 2019 and had a lot of truth in it. Hence, Pipebomb. Just that instead of Punk pointing at "doofus son in law and stupid daughter" it was Rollins pointing out how awful, fickle and disrespectful the fans have become in 2019 and how nothing he ever did would be enough for them, good enough. And he was right. This promo had it all, both Kayfabe heel hate and Real feelings/anger from Lopez. In that way, it definitely was right up there with the 2011 Pipebomb as one of the most awesome promos ever. And it won't be given nearly as much credit as it deserves.

·
Banned
495 Posts
I got Tyler Black/Seth Rollins boo'd out of the building because he was boring as fuck in ROH by starting a "this is boring" chant in the middle of a 60 minute draw with Austin Aries. He changed his style alot after that

·
The Babyface of WF
10,826 Posts
Okay on a positive note it was very good on it's delivery and didn't lack any passion which is commendable for an Average Mic worker like Seth, Cutting a Heel promo brings out the more natural qualities of a performer because you get to loosen up a bit more.

Now on an obvious negative note I'm baffled some lunatics actually believe Seth can hold CM Punk's jock when it comes to Promos lmao, Your either delusional or really shit at trolling.

@gronk7 if Seth cut a promo in 2000 opposite of guys like Rock and Jericho he'd get clowned seriously, He would fare even worse to garner crowd control the way he cuts promos today.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The promo was terrible. It was about on par with Batistas "GIVE ME WHAT I WANT!". Because all Seth keep saying is "What DO I HAVE TO DO?" It wasn't memorable in the least.

You guys are some garbage tier trolls. Better than CM punks pipebomb?

Did all the mods quit too when the board switched software? Get these morons outta here.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
The promo was terrible. It was about on par with Batistas "GIVE ME WHAT I WANT!". Because all Seth keep saying is "What DO I HAVE TO DO?" It wasn't memorable in the least.

Did all the mods quit too when the board switched software? Get these morons outta here.
At least the Batista spitting into the mic was so bad it was good. Rollins is ass on the mic and these people have lost their minds.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

Well considering the mediocrity all around, I am not surprised, a normal promo is labelled as excellent. Coming from one of Seth or Roman, you may call it excellent though considering the bar for a good promo is pretty low for these two...

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
2,859 Posts
not really. he's just slightly better now than he was in his extremely awful face run.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,049 Posts
I honestly cant deal with the fact that people still pretend this untalented, lazy, overpushed spot monkey is somehow a great talent.

People wern't fickle with Seth. People turned on him because Colby Lopez himself is an entitled douchnozzle, and his run as FOTC undeniably exposed his massive, gaping, endless list of flaws.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Why is liking Rollins when he performs well as a heel but disliking when he performs terribly as a face "fickle"?

·
Southern Pride
2,900 Posts
The promo by Rollins on RAW was good mostly because it was believable. It played off of what Rollins has been experiencing this year with the fans. It felt like he was actually venting. There was some emotion and care in to it, from him AND those that love or hate him. For sure not "Pipe Bomb" level but CM Punk was known for being good on the mic. anyway.

I'm not going to say that Rollins is great at promos in general though. He isn't. He has improved a lot since his days as Tyler Black in ROH, but he still isn't amazing at it. His promo on RAW was the exception because he probably felt like there was some truth to what he was saying and it played off of real events.

Just like when Punk "vented" on stage. Just like when Joey Styles "vented" and "quit" WWE. We wanted to believe that he was being real. The promo by Rollins wasn't on their levels of being fully in to the moment but it was good. It was much better than what his promos are usually like.

The strength of Rollins is in the ring. Wouldn't say that he is amazing but he is much better at that than when he does promos.

·
The Fresh Prince Is Back On His Throne!
11,554 Posts
And here we go...

All the fickle imbeciles of WF who loved Colby Lopez up until WM35, who then hated him immediately after are now starting to love him again because he’s about to show he’s arguably the greatest heel the business has ever seen. As a Colby Lopez diehard, if you didn’t like him as a face, you don’t get to enjoy him as a heel.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Suddenly I'm having flashbacks of the dark days of eva marie... I feel bad for the actual fans of Rollins who are going to get lumped in with these poor attempts to troll

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I wasn’t watch during Punk’s reign, but even I can tell that Punk on a bad day is a better promo than Rollins on a good day.

It felt like Vince was venting his truth through Seth and that’s the only thing that made it a good promo.

The real life impression I got was “this heel turn is your fault. It was not part of our plans, but because of fickle crowd reactions in 2019 we’re just going to run with it”. The situation genuinely seemed organic and real, and that’s the only comparison to Punk... you can’t compare them on promo ability, charisma, or wit.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts