Great gimmick
Great enterance

One of my favs at mo

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Reactions: LadyPhenom

·
Banned
8,180 Posts
Best character today. Bray's scope is incredible. He CARES. He does research on his character. He pools from different sources of entertainment like novels, and video games and old movies to bring his character to life and make it nuanced, make it specific, make it like a glove for him. No, even more than that, he LIVES his character. I don't see Windham Rotunda playing a character. I see Bray Wyatt.

Not even guys who apparently LOVE wrestling like Punk, Bryan and Cena put that much effort into their characters. Quite frankly, when it comes to acting Bray makes pretty much everyone else look like hacks. He set a whole new standard for the stars of today. You hear the term "raising the bar" thrown around frequently. Yet he's the real deal. I had to look at all of my favorites differently and reevaluate after hearing Bray speak.

Furthermore, his character has a grander scope than any today in the company. He takes it above and beyond the usual wrestling tropes of "I'm the best and you can suck it" or "I'm an egomaniac" or "I'm just here to be the champion". All of this has been done to death and is so very boring. Bray challenges the audience. Bray tells them that the world they live in is terrible and that they need to reevaluate who they follow. Bray's mission is bigger than the business. It's the world at stake. It's hearts and minds at stake every time he opens his mouth. Bray is more than just a "wrestling heel". He's a villain fit for the silver screen. And people absolutely eat that kind of stuff up today.

And when you look at his character you shades of the great villains of American entertainment and culture: bits of Zachary Hale Comstock, Charles Manson, Vader...whether he pulls from all these guys on purpose or whether or not there's a common idea connecting them is what's so fascinating. He did say that he's what every culture has worshipped since the dawn of ages. A charismatic speaker? Something with power over death? Up to you. No doubt that he had a specific idea in mind though.

Coolest aestethic today. This goes along with his character. Bray is meticulous with his look. Just on it's own, he looks cool. The tattoos, the master's beard, the Hawaiian shirts are awesome, even besides being an homage to Cady/Mercy. The hat. The half-gauntlet (like a horror movie villain would wear). It's all different and interesting and the kind of stuff we haven't seen in awhile. In a world where consumers are jaded and we get the same shit, over and over, especially in wrestling, no fucking wonder people react positively towards that. They are starved of it. But another thing about his look: he makes it all mean something. Like, read the text on some of his shirts. He's telling you things about himself. Maybe dropping hints..

But "look" isn't down to just what a guy wears. His entrances: "we're here". What a fresh and cool way to enter the ring; again, Bray is being innovative and interesting. The music works. The lamp, the chair. No one else is doing this. And it all works within the context of an already awesome character. He could just walk down the ramp and shout something stupid along the way like 1000 before him. But he cares enough to try something new and cool. What it adds up to is something that is, all at once, majestic, creepy, atmospheric and dark. I also love how he's always out there. Watching his opponents from that chair. He takes an old idea, like being at ringside to intimidate someone, and retrofits it for his specific character. What better way for a cult leader to mess with people's minds than to guard the entrance to the ring, in a simple rocking chair, flanked by a psycho in a lamb mask? And it's not even that much of a leap. It's a nice little touch that he makes seem totally necessary. The guy is a genius..

And ever notice how careful he is? With his mannerisms? Ever notice how the way he sits in his chair matches the circumstances and context of the next match? Ever notice how he hardly forgets to pick up the hat and Hawaiian shirt on his way out (which always looks boss after a fight)?

Already one of the best performing, most consistent and most memorable speakers ever. Period. Today? Best. Better than Punk. Cena. Triple H. Paul "repetitive ramble" Heyman. Even though all of these guys are usually as good as people say, they simply don't match Bray. He is more studied. He's more nuanced in his speech. It's seamless. No matter how good they can get they rarely pull off the peaks and valleys of speech that Bray crafts in most of his promos. Furthermore, he ALWAYS has something fresh to say and a fresh idea for presenting it. But I can't stress the point of "nuance" enough. If you don't understand that idea, think of it as the "mannerisms" of the way someone talks. And no one has that like Bray. Triple H talks like his character. Punk always speaks like his characters should speak. As does Cena. But Bray speaks, not just idealistically like how his character should speak, but as Bray Wyatt would speak. Not the idea of Wyatt. Not the idea of an elitist asshole/authoritarian dick/franchise face. He speaks as Bray. And, often, the names I listed above can be nuanced speakers who transcend the simple ideas behind their characters. That's why people call them so great. I'm not saying they can't do it. I'm saying that none of them are as consistent as Bray with it. Or consistently fresh. No one is. Mostly because they don't invest as much time in becoming their characters as he does.

He comes off a professional actor who happens to be a wrestler, instead of a wrestler who is good at acting, basically.

-The matches: this doesn't get a spoiler because even the most stalwart and obnoxious Wyatt mark should be able to realize that he's not the in-ring performer that Bryan is, or Cena or Rollins. But what he lacks in knowledge of moves and ability to perform them, he makes up for by doing what a wrestler should do and that's bringing their gimmick to life with his actions in between the ropes. And either way, his match with Bryan is a near-classic. Elimination Chamber match WAS a classic. So at the young age and low level of experience that he is, Bray still manages to be one of the better, more interesting and fun to watch wrestlers on the roster. All on the strength of the character that he's built..

And all of this at age 28. What a fucking beast.

·
Locker Room Leader
12,128 Posts
Can we ban the OP already? He's single handedly bringing down the collective IQ of the entire forum.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Giving Wyatt credit for just existing and throwing a few punches and a single chokeslam in the EC 6 man tag is like giving Khali credit for a good Royal Rumble, because he just was there. Wyatt did the least of everyone in that match, and he did the least by far. Also everything he shouted in the match (is cringeworthy as fuck) is just rehashed and repeated from previous matches.

IS THIS NOT WHAT YOU WANTED?

FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS.

TAG ME TAG ME TAG ME!

So deep. Such incredible character work.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
He's the best mic worker on the roster today, and having a character and charisma surpasses just having in ring skills for me.. and he's proved he can go in the ring as well, so win-win.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Beacause he has charisma, is one of the few interesting charachters, has awesome promo skills and good in ring abilities.

4,547 Posts
Why?

- because he is a decent wrestler with some very solid moves that he manages to execute without dropping his character; if anything, he enhances it at times in ring, which is rare these days.
- because he’s taken what he was given in NXT and made it into the most defining character of the current crop.

·
Crowley's Minion
1,117 Posts
Already one of the best performing, most consistent and most memorable speakers ever. Period. Today? Best. Better than Punk. Cena. Triple H. Paul "repetitive ramble" Heyman.
Highlighted part, definitely not Heyman. The others yes, but Heyman is the best on the mic and always will be, not taking anything away from Wyatt however.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
He's not the greatest in the ring no but he isn't awful. He is easily above average, he has a brutal looking move set. All he has to do is improve his ring phychology.

He is for me without a doubt, the best guy in WWE with a mic in his hand and he has completely bought into the gimmick he's been given. He's taken it to an extra level. He's the sort of guy you think would remain in character at all times even when he's not "working".

I see Bray as the next big thing but in terms of sheer wrestling entertainment then Harper is head and shoulders the above anyone else in the Wyatts. Much like the Shield they all compliment each other well although i do feel Rowan is clearly the weak link.

If you don't think Harper looks creepy then that's upto you but it's the first time i've heard that said and tbh i know you would sh*t your pants if you were confronted by a guy that looked like him. Imagine being caught in an alley late at night with those piercing cold dark eyes staring back at you..... You would lose your sh*t so don't lie.

I would say that Bray has lost a bit of weight since his debut and who cares anyway? When you see a guy with his bulk flying around the ring at such speed it's refreshing to see plus why would you want all muscle toned wrestlers? Variety keeps things fresh.

·
Banned
14,424 Posts
His promos and character are outstanding. He's not meant to look physically intimidating, he's getting a character over. WWE is actually booking him smart, and letting him play the character smart. They're not putting him out there and spandex and saying "Get over with your appearance" they're letting him play to his STRENGTH, which is the microphone. And they're booking him smart, in smart matches.

The only misfire was letting him and Reigns main event RAW, when it was obvious neither were ready. He should be working matches booked to his strengths against good workers, not guys who are still coming up and not really established as singles wrestlers yet. Working with Cena/Bryan is perfect for him.

·
Banned
8,180 Posts
Highlighted part, definitely not Heyman. The others yes, but Heyman is the best on the mic and always will be, not taking anything away from Wyatt however.
I would agree if Heyman could keep his promos as fresh and interesting as Wyatt does. He can't. Looking back a few years through the DVD collection I've amassed, Heyman has been doing the same type of promo forever. And the content is repetitive too.

His major deviations were with Punk. And people took that and called him the best ever. Not even close. Still has to trump Wyatt when it comes to fresh delivery AND content, let alone a Jericho or Foley.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Because he has presence, charisma and a character that feels like it has more than one layer to it. Thats a rarity in modern WWE.
That's what seperates him from alot of the roster imo.

Yes his mic skills are unrivalled and his in ring ability is improving all the time but he has an aura about him. Even my friends and gf who dont appreciate wrestling always have a few questions if they seen Bray on TV.

He's a guy who just demands your attention.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts