Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I'm gonna have to excuse myself, I'm pretty new to the forums and haven't watched any wrestling show for more than like a year and now I'm sitting in my room and I'm starting to wonder: Jesus, what has ever happened to the revived ECW introduced by McMahon? I'm guessing the "old ECW" would be the wrong term in this case. Has this brand completely shut down and got replaced with NXT? I'm lost.

Oh, might have to clear up that the last ECW show I watched was when Big Show was still ECW Champion, seems like that was ages ago. So, is there any chance you guys could possibly post a summary of what happened in ECW/(NXT?) since last year? Muchas gracias for anyone who's willing to do so. :)

Yeah I know, pretty embarassing, but please don't shoot me down. Shame on me. :eek:

·
Asuka
96,241 Posts
NXT replaced ECW.

Basically, what happened was, Christian was ECW champion for nearly the entire duration of the show's last year. Right before WrestleMania, Vince McMahon came out and said ECW was getting replaced by a show called NXT. Ezekiel Jackson won the ECW title on the last show, for some reason and hasn't been seen since apart from like 1 SmackDown! episode where he tore apart some jobber.

NXT started up and they explained that the concept was 8 guys fighting for a WWE contract and assigned a WWE roster member to coach them. Bryan Danielson was in season 1 and was given the most attention and got the most over, and had the #1 ranking, even though he never won a single match during the show's duration, other than 1 tag match against Santino on Raw right before it ended. He got voted the first guy off the show because he humbly accepted that he should be eliminated for losing all the time. He also beat Miz on 1 Raw after, but yeah. Wade Barrett, the guy being mentored by Jericho won the season. He got the contract. Then, all of these guys came out of nowhere and jumped John Cena on Raw and laid him out, like an old school nWo beatdown. Daniel Bryan (the WWE'ized name they gave him) got fired though because during the beatdown, he choked out Justin Roberts, the announcer with his tie and this is apparantly against some PG protocol that you can't due that because of the whole Chris Benoit choking murders. Stupid. They want him back because they were supposed to have no choice. So then, the rest of the remaining 7 have been attacking everyone on Raw, and since then, ALL of them have been given contracts, so basically the only thing Barrett got out of winning was a world title shot, rather than a contract itself.

Now we're in season 2 and they're repeating the same process that they went through in season 1. 8 guys competing, although they're essentially only competing for a title shot, because like season 1, all of them will be signed regardless.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
NXT is far better than WWECW ever was, I reccomend you give it a go, it's...different.

·
Shocking the Shockmaster
4,558 Posts
NXT replaced ECW.

Basically, what happened was, Christian was ECW champion for nearly the entire duration of the show's last year. Right before WrestleMania, Vince McMahon came out and said ECW was getting replaced by a show called NXT. Ezekiel Jackson won the ECW title on the last show, for some reason and hasn't been seen since apart from like 1 SmackDown! episode where he tore apart some jobber.
He's injured, tore his quad or something, McMahon is pretty high on him apparently.

·
Offto Club?
1,275 Posts
NXT is all about getting new stars into the company becuase many of the current main eventers havn't got much left. And IMO it's a brilliant plan thats working perfectly.

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
WWECW was not too bad when it first came back in with the Cena/RVD/Edge triangle fued for the ECW and WWE title but since that it went majorly downhill and deserved to be cancelled.

As far as NxT goes, its good. Its a fantastic concept and something fresh to the WWE, personally, I thought the first seasons rookies are better than this seasons rookies, obviously excluding Riley and Kaval. I suggest you give it a watch you never know, you might enjoy it. :p

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
NXT is almost a televised version of FCW but instead of having titles, the best of the roster gets to be in the WWE.

NXT just like superstars aren't mandatory WWE shows, if you don't want to watch it, you don't have to as it doesn't affect what goes on for Raw or SD(with exception of Nexus, but that was after NXT was done for them). NXT and Superstars are optional shows for WWE fans who just want to watch more WWE or see some unique things they won't really see that much of on Raw or SD.

Like said awhile ago, only 1/3 of WWEs audience watches all the programs WWE has so not everyone watches NXT anyways

1 - 15 of 15 Posts