Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Re: Serious thread but dont you think Samoa Joe would be taken more seriously if he t

I always wondered what fatter wrestlers like Joe and Rikishi would look like on steroids, they's still be fat but they would be absolutely huge

·
Registered
562 Posts
Re: Serious thread but dont you think Samoa Joe would be taken more seriously if he t

He would be taken more seriously if he worked for a competent company with a booking team that didn't make him look like a joke.

·
8,232 Posts

No, Joe needs to cut down about 20 or 30 lbs to look like how he used to, A COMPLETE BADASS. Part of his extremely over character is being the samoan guy who will kick your ass. This look fit him the best.

He's really not far off from being back into that shape. He just needs motivation. In my honest opinion, TNA should be built around him.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts

No, Joe needs to cut down about 20 or 30 lbs to look like how he used to, A COMPLETE BADASS. Part of his extremely over character is being the samoan guy who will kick your ass. This look fit him the best.

He's really not far off from being back into that shape. He just needs motivation. In my honest opinion, TNA should be built around him.
Would you have motivation in a company that completely shat over your first title run and decided that putting a penis on your face made you look more intimidating?

·
8,232 Posts

Would you have motivation in a company that completely shat over your first title run and decided that putting a penis on your face made you look more intimidating?
TRUST ME. I'm not over here defending Joe's treatment over the last couple of years. It's fucking ludicrous.

But there's no doubt in my mind he's an awesome wrestler with a gimmick people can really get behind. I'm not saying I expect it to happen, but somebody in TNA needs to get push this guy the proper way.

·
Banned
1,242 Posts

ZERO-1? Because that's where "the penis"/that gimmick made its debut.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts

The Sheikuation™;9008755 said:
TRUST ME. I'm not over here defending Joe's treatment over the last couple of years. It's fucking ludicrous.

But there's no doubt in my mind he's an awesome wrestler with a gimmick people can really get behind. I'm not saying I expect it to happen, but somebody in TNA needs to get push this guy the proper way.
I agree but I don't think it has ANYTHING to do with Joe and EVERYTHING to do with the idiots running TNA. It boggles my mind why any wrestler would trust their career in the hands of a company like TNA whose BARLEY made ONE main eventer in the 8 years of existence. And that one main eventer is currently the champion of a division thats completely non-existent...

·
Registered
166 Posts

All the power to the people who blame TNA for Joe not getting a decent run but it's totally his fault. If he lost about 30 pounds and gained some muscle they would shoot him to the top but they can't do that until he looks the part.

Joe needs to stop worrying about what people in management are doing to him and he needs to start controlling his own destiny.

·
Banned
1,242 Posts

I agree but I don't think it has ANYTHING to do with Joe and EVERYTHING to do with the idiots running TNA. It boggles my mind why any wrestler would trust their career in a company like TNA whose BARLEY made only ONE star in the 8 years of existence. And that one star is currently the champion of a division thats completely non-existent...
The reason you even talk/worry about Joe is TNA.

·
Banned
4,479 Posts

I like the big/slightly fat Samoan thing , but yea ... he needs to lose AT LEAST 15lbs. He's getting a little too big/slightly fat Samoan

He doesn't need to bulk up or have a 6pack or anything .... just keep it to wear he doesn't look like a slob
If he can get back to his ROH/early TNA shape .... he'll be good

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts

TNA's highest buyrates all included Joe in the main event (2006 and 2008). He was massively over but then TNA killed the momentum.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts

His size adds to his badass samoan character,but he could benifet from dropping a few pounds.
He's a lot slower in the ring now then when he was when he first debuted and to me just seems unmoviated.
I wouldn't take him more serious if he was thin too ,actually I wouldn't take him serious at all really.When thin wrestlers work the shooting/stiff style it just doesn't look as believable .There's only a handfull of them that can pull it off .

·
Registered
967 Posts

No I like the fact that he has no got a perfect build to him, its makes him stand out for me as quite unique. The one thing that would make Joe Badass is if TNA booked him properly

·
Registered
21,621 Posts

I don't think he'd be taken seriously at all if he was thin but if he lost some of the flab then he'd be held in a lot higher regard.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

He should drop a few pounds, but ofcourse you're not motivated when you're company has no idea what to do with you. If anyone deserves a year long title reign with the belt, it's Joe. Within less than a year, he put on high quality matches with almost everyone he wrestled. He can wrestle any style, is great on the mic, and the only thing possibly holding him back is his weight, which could easily be lost.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts

I don't get this obsession with Joe's weight, look at Dusty Rhodes; he was fat and a huge star and drew big money then again he was a much better promo than Joe.

I don't think Joe's weight has anything to do with his credibility with a mainsteam audience; Fat guys can get over if they're booked the right way look at Umaga.

He was booked as a monster and got over, Joe at one time was booked as a bad ass and he got over.

The thing holding back Joe is a lack of charisma, that's the problem with guys like Joe and AJ. A guy like Dusty Rhodes or Jerry Lawler could get over with limited in ring ability and a non superstar look because they oozed charisma and could talk people into buying tickets with almost no effort.

Joe or AJ are great in the ring but on the microphone they couldn't sell antibiotics to a person with an infection.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Yeah, no one ever took Vader or Yokozuna or Andre the Giant or King Kong Bundy or (fill in the blank with a killer, big heel) because they were fat.

Are you seriously that vapid? It's booking that makes anyone a killer and TNA has no one that cares to book. Anyone can look like a monster if the booking is appropriate, except Abyss.

·
Registered
557 Posts

I don't get this obsession with Joe's weight, look at Dusty Rhodes; he was fat and a huge star and drew big money then again he was a much better promo than Joe.

I don't think Joe's weight has anything to do with his credibility with a mainsteam audience; Fat guys can get over if they're booked the right way look at Umaga.

He was booked as a monster and got over, Joe at one time was booked as a bad ass and he got over.

The thing holding back Joe is a lack of charisma, that's the problem with guys like Joe and AJ. A guy like Dusty Rhodes or Jerry Lawler could get over with limited in ring ability and a non superstar look because they oozed charisma and could talk people into buying tickets with almost no effort.

Joe or AJ are great in the ring but on the microphone they couldn't sell antibiotics to a person with an infection.
We think pretty much the same things. Except for one thing. Joe much better than AJ on mic.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Joe's promo's are actually pretty good. Formulaic, yes. But Joe is way more convincingon the mic than AJ. Also his promos during his brief feud with Steiner were really good.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts