Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I started lurking here, it became clear that this particular board loves Sanada.

Why?

He's not particularly good in the ring (I mean he's alright tbh but not special), he's already the failed "Future Ace" of 2 Japanese promotions and he failed out of the NJ Dojo. The 2017 G1 was pegged by many to be Sanada's big coming out party and he was gonna show he was a star. Not only did that not happen, he regressed and put in a worse collective performance than the prior year.

Is it just his aesthetic that you guys love?

What am I missing? Please help me understand, wrestling forum.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,620 Posts
Good wrestler (His pacing is off but other then that good), looks cool as fuck, he is stoic but not so stoic that he comes across as bland as Nakajima does in NOAH. He does have great potential and a few years with some development and some tag team or open weight title runs, he will be one of the top guys in the company.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hmmm so it is literally just the look? Do people just like the abs + emo look?

If it is all just ahout body/emo look, then maybe people would like Endo Tetsuya at least he can actually wrestle

I mean look at the cum gutters he has wew

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
He does have great potential and a few years with some development and some tag team or open weight title runs, he will be one of the top guys in the company.
IMO there is a more realistic chance Sanada leaves NJPW in a few years than there is he stays and mysteriously turns into a top guy. This guy gets around more than Paige. AJPW, W1, BJW, TNA, NJPW I'd bet he goes back to AJPW in a couple of years and continues to be a journeyman

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,620 Posts
IMO there is a more realistic chance Sanada leaves NJPW in a few years than there is he stays and mysteriously turns into a top guy.

Mysteriously? I said after some development.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mysteriously? I said after some development.
Oh I'm not meaning that as a personal dig, I just don't see the untapped potential others do I guess just because of "the look" (which is funny because "the look" is a WWE meme)

Just Sanada is gonna be 30 and has already failed to be a top player at every stop he's been

30 is usually not old especially in Japan, but it's old when you've been around the major Japanese promotions for 10-years. I just don't see that there is much room for Sanada to develop. It kind of is what he is.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
He has never really been put in a position to be successful.

Dude hasn't exactly been given the Okada booking. He loses more than he wins. And he has basically lost to every top guy that he ever faced, and wasn't even given more than 15 minutes in the ring to establish himself.

NJPW just doesn't see him as one of their own. Japanese pro wrestling is in many ways a very backwards business. If you haven't been groomed in a promotion's dojo, the chances that you'll be booked on top as a native talent, are very, very low. You're just seen as a utility player, like Sanada. A guy that can be used to put over NJPW's own.

Foreigners are treated differently.

·
HEADBANGA
22,474 Posts
He has never really been put in a position to be successful.

Dude hasn't exactly been given the Okada booking. He loses more than he wins. And he has basically lost to every top guy that he ever faced, and wasn't even given more than 15 minutes in the ring to establish himself.

NJPW just doesn't see him as one of their own. Japanese pro wrestling is in many ways a very backwards business. If you haven't been groomed in a promotion's dojo, the chances that you'll be booked on top as a native talent, are very, very low. You're just seen as a utility player, like Sanada. A guy that can be used to put over NJPW's own.

Foreigners are treated differently.
Ibushi gets treated the same way but he delivers in the ring and is seem as a top guy. Sanada rarely does.ll

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Ibushi gets treated the same way but he delivers in the ring and is seem as a top guy. Sanada rarely does.ll
Ibushi is a top guy? How?

He's a frequent loser to NJPW's own talent. He has never had a single run with a title belt (as a heavyweight). And probably never will.

Guy was doing jobs to old ass Makabe during his last run. Just look at who he is facing at Wrestle Kingdom. Probably going to be doing the job to Cody, too.

Utility player, that's all he is. Like Sanada.

·
HEADBANGA
22,474 Posts
Ibushi is a top guy? How?

He's a frequent loser to NJPW's own talent. He has never had a single run with a title belt (as a heavyweight). And probably never will.

Guy was doing jobs to old ass Makabe during his last run. Just look at who he is facing at Wrestle Kingdom. Probably going to be doing the job to Cody, too.

Utility player, that's all he is. Like Sanada.
I know that but I'm saying is that the company has enough faith in him to have him headline shows for any title because he's a top notch talent who can put on a great performance on any given night. The same cannot be said for Sanada.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I think you are both right, Ibushi is valued more than Sanada, but at the same time he isn't top guy either. If he was their guy or had signed full time contract then we'd see him in one of the "main events" of the WK12 and not somewhere in the middle of the card with Cody.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
I both like and dislike SANADA. He's a great athlete and does many things in the ring well. But he's also as relevant and entertaining out of the ring as Tanga Loa. No problems of EVIL being pushed above him.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you are both right, Ibushi is valued more than Sanada, but at the same time he isn't top guy either. If he was their guy or had signed full time contract then we'd see him in one of the "main events" of the WK12 and not somewhere in the middle of the card with Cody.
tbf Ibushi Kota has gone from literally opening the show to now competing for a World Championship at the Tokyo Dome in the span of a year

Not too shabby for a freelancer

Reactions: The Masked One

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I don't see how thats relevant. In WK9 he was facing Nakamura in semi-main, way better spot than facing Cody in a midcard.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well you're talking about his position when he was under contract to NJPW (the match against Nakamura Shinsuke), and I'm talking about freelance. Ibushi Kota will never again sign a written with NJPW, so his match with Nakamura Shinsuke is an anomaly because they are never going to give him that spot again unless 2 things: 1 he signs a written or 2 Omega basically demands he wants Ibushi Kota or else.

As a freelance, Ibushi Kota did well getting booked on the Dome show in a World's Championship match. It's a first time ever dream match for a World Championship what's not to like?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I am not saying that there is something inherently wrong with Cody/Ibushi match. In fact, if you are Cody fan then it is probably best match he could realistically get this year for the dome. Point is that Ibushi doesn't really have a permanent place in NJPW's booking and as such he is bound to eat pins and will never really be a top guy till he signs a contract. So in that regard it doesn't really matter if he is opening the show or fighting for a title in the midcard, end result is fundamentally the same.

·
The Man Comes Around
8,486 Posts
Before the G1 everyone was saying SANADA will do great during the tournament...

Dude took L by Kojima and Suzuki and the two stars of his block and that's EVIL who got a really nice push

SANADA needs to prove he can a team player ( he failed to pass introductory test to the Dojo and i think even if he only works for NJPW he have a freelancer contract )

1 - 20 of 27 Posts