Wrestling Forum banner

121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
SNOWBLIND
7,529 Posts
Go back to that poison pool arena...
Yeah, that was great. When the second ape showed up I thought for sure I was fucked but it wasn't that bad. I've gone back a second time and now wizard bro is there but I only.have two Divine Confettis so I'll go back to that later.

Ashina Castle part 2 is pretty great and maaaaan is it fun dragging those purple bastards all over the place with the finger whistle. The fight against two of them in the dojo wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be initially (when the one hiding in the corner jumped me). You can sneak up on that one so I wonder if you can't use the puppeteer ninjitsu on him before aggroing the main one. Owl was a super fun fight. I've gone back to the Hirata Estate and it looks like I'll need to fight him again but naturally I'm assuming he'll be harder/beefier than before.

·
SNOWBLIND
7,529 Posts
First fight against Owl was overall pretty okay but the second one can get fucked. I knew it was going to suck. Can barely lay a glove on him and that bullshit firecracker bullshit is bullshit. Get to fuck.

I'll go a bit further into Fountainhead Palace before going back to that. Those new ninja folks are badass. The nobles are fine if you get to them quick enough/sneak attack them/use the finger whistle and cause a pack of angry lightning wolves to attack them, but I imagine they'll cause me great annoyance at some point.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
beat the glutton, water lady, 2nd headless ape + his friendo, corrupted monk, other snake eyes, mist guy who sucked a lot, folding screen monkeys - plus I found a random prayer bead laying in a house's attic. Productive Sunday. I hear there's a vendor later in the game who never runs out of divine confetti so when I get there I'll get to these two headless + purple guy I've committed to memory.

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
Starting a new playthrough last night on this game was fun to see how much I've grown as a player at this game.

When the Shinobi Hunter becomes the easiest mini boss after using Miriki Counter so many times against the final boss :eek:.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
The fight against two of them in the dojo wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be initially (when the one hiding in the corner jumped me). You can sneak up on that one so I wonder if you can't use the puppeteer ninjitsu on him before aggroing the main one.
You can, I made him do most of the 1st health bar for me, it was awesome.

I had massive trouble with the Owl fight until I switched to the ichimonji attack art, he's got a big allergy to it after he does his Two Shuriken Then Flip Jump Swing attack. The second health bar I just got his health down to zero instead of worrying about posture too much considering he loved healing it. On the 3 health bar Corrupted Monk now, I found it really tough at first but I almost beat it on my third try and only died to stupid fucking terror. I hate that shit. I have FOUR headless and two Shichimen Warriors I've not done so doing all of those in a row will be FUN! There's a position in a tree in the Corrupted Monk fight where the ghosties (of the 2nd phase) can't get you so I go there every single time they spawn. Fuck them RAW.

I'm wondering about these mask fragments and whether they're worth it. I remember the location of two of them but I assume there are one or two more I either forgot about or haven't found. Maybe I'll grind for money end-game and see what it's about.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
Beat SUPER MONK or whatever he is. Didn't think he was brutal given you can hide in a tree to avoid the shadows (depends on your timing, one can spawn behind you if you get there too early) and his general attacks don't really change through each of the three phases. I checked the vendors after getting that item and welp it's finally infinite divine confetti time. Killed three headless. Not a fight I'd call fun by any stretch but I guess it's some variety. The underwater one absolutely sucks, though. Just swim in a circle around it and dash in behind it for a cut or two when it does it's danger move. I went exploring a little because I still hadn't reactivated some of the Ashina idols, and I found that purple miniboss at the great serpent idol. I think I cheesed him because I ran too far away (to heal) and even though he followed me at first; he started backing off and stopped blocking my attacks. Oh well, too bad for him. Cunt. I also managed to find the old graveyard idol which I'd actually never seen before now. Weird thing to miss. I've actually sort of forgotten where the other headless I found is so I'll just look it up if I go searching too long. Then I just got the two purple smoky warriors and I can move on to fountainhead.

·
SNOWBLIND
7,529 Posts
The Shichimen Warriors are super easy if you upgrade the fan shield to its purple version so it can totally block all of his attacks. Just pop a Divine Confetti, run in and hack away for a bunch of damage, then when he vanishes and hurls that big stream of terror shit upon reappearance just bring out the fan and block all of it. Sometimes he'll jump in the air and you can just mid-air deathblow him to tear through him even quicker. The Headless are much more annoying, but once you kill one of them the rest are just a C&P job, essentially (although I haven't actually fought the underwater ones yet, even though I know where they are).

The puppeteer ninjitsu is great for Fountainhead. Those Nobles that try to obliterate your vitality bar are the worst.

·
I wonder what Aeris felt...When she was up on that
31,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Divine Confetti + Ako's Sugar = easy Headless kill.

If you have the skill that doubles the length of a sugar you just need to pop 1.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
I have FOUR headless and two Shichimen Warriors I've not done so doing all of those in a row will be FUN!
This was wrong, turns out one of the headless I found was just the same one near the beginning of the game and it was a big shortcut between the two. I killed the other three + the two Shichimen Warriors though. Also just happened to stumble upon a couple bodies of water I hadn't dived down yet. Found a prayer bead! Also went by the practice guy for the first time in HOURS and the anti-air deathblow text was there in the box for sale. Off to properly go through Fountainhead today.

·
\m/
24,147 Posts
Finally was able to pick the game up again and make quite a bit of progress...

Picking up after beating Ashina Elite - Jinsuke Saze at Ashina Castle, I went out through a window and headed up only to find another boss fight who was none other than Genichiro Ashina, who very much decimated the Wolf in the prologue of the game. After a few unsuccessful rounds I decided to put him on hold and explore some more. I made my way to the Ashina Depths and felled the Snake Eyes mini-boss. This area was surprisingly short. I was expecting to find myself in a Valley of Defilement/Blightown/Farron Keep type area as it is typical in the Soulsborne games going by the poison pool at the start but it really wasn't and after a while I found myself enveloped in mist in the Hidden Forest. A bit of a tricky area at first since you can barely see the enemies but after progressing a bit I came to face the Mist-Noble who might well be this game's very own Pinwheel (easiest boss in Dark Souls, to the point where getting killed by him should be cause to revoke your Soulsborne license :p). with the Mist-Noble dead the Hidden Forest as well as the path forward clears. I left the Headless in this area for later and moved forward to Mibu Village.

The mobs in this area were a nice change of pace for the game. I also found this was a nice and easy spot to quickly farm some skill points. After clearing the area I came across the Corrupted Monk which was a rather nice fight where Fistful of Ash proved to be very valuable. I knew I had seen this boss before and indeed it was the boss FROM had been showing in the promotional videos leading up to the game's release. It was a different form tho so I am expecting to see it again. Moving on I came to what looks like a dead end, a certain Wedding Cave with an altar that had a stone in it.

After leaving Mibu Village and doing some more exploring I made my way to the Sunken Valley which as I soon would find out would lead me to another dead end. But not before exploring plenty of the area, killing Snake Eyes (again) and also killing a...

Long arm...centipede...giraffe....?

:beckywhat

Whatever it was it seemed to have a death wish because it basically just became a matter of deflecting it's non-stop relentless combos until it's posture meter filled up to get a deathblow. Nothing fancy. But right after it I came across a locked door and so another dead end.

That being the case and after increasing attack power and physical attributes and acquiring some more skills I decided to pay our friend Genichiro a visit to see how things would go now. Going in looking at the two health bars I was set for the fight to be two phases. This boss took me several tries but with each new attempt I finally found the game's combat system 'clicking' and becoming second nature as it were for me. This game definitely punishes the muscle memory of Soulsborne veterans and you really have to condition yourself to not think or play about it in a "Soulslike" manner.

After a few tries I was able to knock down his two life bars and not entirely unexpected he had a third phase...now adding lighting attacks to his arsenal. Thankfully the third phase is easier to break its posture for the deathblow so switching from a more defensive to am ore offensive/aggressive approach for this phase was quite effective. This was a really fun fight over all and in typical FROM fashion it really gives you that sense of achievement when you finally land the finishing blow.

Genichiro is the sort of boss that you always see in the other games (DS1 had Ornstein & Smough, DS3 had Pontiff Sulyvahn and BB had Father Gascoigne) that forces you to come to grips with the game's mechanics and as the phrase goes 'git gud'. Previous bosses you could find your way around and sort of "cheat" the system to beat them but bosses like Genichiro don't grant you any of that and you really have to "do it right".

After that we finally meet the Divine Heir Kuro and Emma and after some talking I made my way to Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo where after some more exploring I came across the Screen Folding Monkeys which is a "boss fight" but more like the puzzle boss that FROM likes to include in their games (like Bed of Chaos and Micolash). Rather easy/straightforward, just find the four monkeys in the arena and kill them. After that I was granted by another Divine "Child" the Mortal Blade which has the power to kill those that are undying. Now I could finally truly kill those centipede monks that just kept reviving no matter how many times I killed them.

That done and after meeting again with Kuro, I got the key to the Gun Fort that was locked down in the Sunken Valley. Which now put me in the Sunken Valley Passage. Making my way towards the bridge right after opening the door a snake attacks and the bridge with myself falls down into the lake below. After swimming a bit I found some ground and started finding my way up while fighting some monkeys along the way. After advancing some more I came across an idol from which I could see a giant ape which I assumed was a boss and sure enough...quite a boss it is.

Guardian Ape is very much a reverse of Genichiro. His movements are very erratic and he flails all over the place and there is also the size difference. He also farts and sticks his hand in the ass and throws shit at you...

Only tried him a couple of times but I was already close to downing him at one point which leads me to believe that this Ape literally has more shit up his sleeve :lol

We'll see what it is tomorrow.

A bit of a long post. That's very much where I am at now. I'll give that boss another shot tomorrow and also explore that other area that's before it.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
I'm at the tail end of the game atm. Haven't played in a few days but last time I found the final boss, died to it once, then went around reactivating he idols and dying once to Demon of Hatred. He seems....pleasant.

·
\m/
24,147 Posts
Demon of Hatred? Sounds like fun :p

Haven't faced that one yet. Did make quite a bit of progress today tho...

As expected, the Guardian Ape had something up its sleeve and it was quite a surprise to see him stand up again after a Shinobi Execution animation. The boss overall wasn't too bad and the second phase was much more manageable than the first. It kind of reminded me of Ludwig from Bloodborne who had his blade on him and after a more "animalistic" first phase he grabs his sword and fights more like a "human". Guardian Ape has a bit fo a similar pattern.

After that and getting the flower, I find out that I can't use all but one of the Ashina Castle Idols so it was not possible to travel directly to Kuro to give him the flower. Something was up and that was an occupying force at Ashina Castle fighting and killing the soldiers I had to fight and kill before when I went through the area. This was an interesting setup as it provided plenty of opportunities to pit both grounds against each other and taking advantage of that. There were also several new mini-bosses scattered throughout the castle which provided a few Prayer Beads.

Back on the top floor I had to face another one of those Lone Shadow mini-boss only this time he had an add that proved useful with the Puppeteer ability. It made the fight rather trivial. Moving up I came face to face with the father Great Shinobi Owl who after not liking my decision to stay loyal to Kuro of course proceeded to dispose of me in short order. Wanting to explore some more I put this fight on hold and went back to the Abandoned Dungeon to continue the "experiment" side quest. Who knows what the mad surgeon/doctor is doing with that poor guy I sent him. I wonder if I'll end up fighting him. After some more exploration I found myself in the Ashina Depths facing a cave below and as I drop it is another fight with our friend the Guardian Ape who began the fight in phase two straight away. Very much the same deal as the original fight only thing now is that he brings another ape once you land the first death blow. That was unexpected. But thankfully the other ape could be staggered easily and so he was killed quickly and then the Headless Guardian Ape fell as well. That fight rewarded two prayer beads which was quite nice.

After very much exploring nearly everything and only leaving alive the Headless and that warrior in the Depths that inflicts terror I decided to give Owl another go. He is an interesting fight in that he is a shinobi like you and so he uses many of the same tactics that you have been using during the game (like the Firecracker and Shirukens). It took a couple of tries but he turned out rather easy when I used the same approach that I used for the Guardian Ape and just circled him trying to bait his shirked and jump attack in order to then punish him with a few blows.

With Owl down it was time to go to the Wedding Cave that had been a dead end early on. After a cutscene we retaken to the Fountainhead Palace and right out of the gate we are surprised by the Corrupted Monk in what appears to be it's "true" form. A fun fight that despite having 3 phases is not overbearing. The final phase was susceptible to the same tactics I used to beat it's ghost form.

After the fight we actually enter the palace. This area is really large and has a lot of room to explore. The first part of the are was quite fun to sneak around, the second part was even more open than the first and it was proving a bit confusing on where exactly I had to go until I finally found my way on top of the big three and killed the bloody lighting guy that was making it impossible for me to swim around the area. With him down and after talking to a woman near a flooded house it became clear that I to find an entrance underwater.

After dodging the large fish that first destroyed the bridge one I entered the area I made it inside the temple and after going up a little bit and after another cutscene I found myself facing a mob of small dragons who inflict poison. A battle reminiscent of the Deacons of the Deep from DK3 where the enemies keep re-spawning and you have to hit/kill the right ones in order to lower the boss health. Nothing fancy, after killing them and another cutscene the Divine Dragon shows up and the proper boss fight begins. It has a different and interesting setup. You don't attack the Dragon "directly" but must rather harness the lighting to throw it at him.

He killed me when I had him at about half health and it being so late I decided to leave it for tomorrow.

Well that's very much whereI am at now. I suspect, going by what has happened that I am currently not too far from the end of the game. We'll see what happens next after this boss.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
I tried facing both bosses just now for some time and I've never felt this discouraged in a FromSoft game. I'm not even having fun and that's obviously making me suck more. I kind of just want to move on to another game.

121 - 140 of 166 Posts