Wrestling Forum banner

Seinfeld vs. Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both shows were created by the same man: Larry David. He was only the co-creator of Seinfeld, but still, if you watched CYE it's rather obvious that Larry David was the real genius behind Seinfeld, and not Jerry Seinfeld himself.

Both are great, but I'd say Seinfeld is a better crafted show overall and more memorable. Seinfeld just had a better cast and had more memorable episodes. Curb Your Enthusiasm is basically an R-rated version of Seinfeld starring George Costanza, the character based on Larry David. That being said, I think Curb has a lot of great moments and scenes and it's more of a show about nothing than Seinfeld claims to be. Curb is basically the life of a rich man over-analysing and turning seemingly normal/mundane situations into nasty arguments. Plus, it has more coarse language and it's not as filtered by censors as Seinfeld was, so the writers can let loose a bit more and go more in detail about certain subjects.

I give my vote to Seinfeld for being more iconic and having a better cast of characters and more memorable jokes and scenes. But Curb Your Enthusiasm is also great, of course.

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts
I haven't seen nearly the amount of Seinfeld that I've seen of Curb, I've seen seasons and seasons worth of Curb. Almost the shows entire run, I've seen maybe a season and a half, maybe two of Seinfeld ages ago, I have to give it to Curb, and very easily. It's just more raw, and to my mind, funnier. I'd have to watch more Seinfeld, but I just saw it as another sitcom. Curb is genius humor, it's reduced me to tears countless times.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't seen nearly the amount of Seinfeld that I've seen of Curb, I've seen seasons and seasons worth of Curb. Almost the shows entire run, I've seen maybe a season and a half, maybe two of Seinfeld ages ago, I have to give it to Curb, and very easily. It's just more raw, and to my mind, funnier. I'd have to watch more Seinfeld, but I just saw it as another sitcom. Curb is genius humor, it's reduced me to tears countless times.
I think Seinfeld overall has better episodes. Curb has a lot of a great moments, but the episodes overall aren't as strong as Seinfeld's best episodes. Probably because Seinfeld has a cast of 4 different main characters with their own quirks while Curb pretty much only has Larry David as a main character. Ok, Cheryl, Jeff and Susie are also important characters for a large part of the show, but most of the funny situations have Larry at the centre of it. While in Seinfeld it always seemed like all of the main characters had something going for them in each episode. Plus, George and Kramer are timeless sitcom characters, while Jeff, Susie and certainly not Cheryl are as much. Seinfeld just had a stronger cast overall, from the main characters to one-shot and secondary and tertiary characters, imo.

Curb is better at the "nothingness" aspect, though. And it focuses more on the boring and annoying mundane day-to-day life things and pokes fun at them in a very relatable way for me. Like that time Larry refused to stop and chat with the restaurant manager he ran into on the street. Or Larry not thanking that soldier for his service and wondering why he had to do it when the 3 other people before had already done it.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Prefer Seinfeld by a little bit but when I first started watching CYE I did not anticipate the gap in quality between the two to be that small.

·
8,616 Posts
seinfeld was very good, but curb is my favorite tv show of all time , it's not even close. i do think larry has slipped a bit, mostly it was noticeable last season. the expression on his face a lot of the time made it seem like he was in on the jokes, which makes it less funny.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Both are pretty... pretty... pretty good.

I look at Larry David the way others may look at LeBron James or Mike Trout. The guy is the best. He is some one I admire.

Seinfeld... my favorite show of all time. Extremely well written. Multiple, seemingly completely different stories, all come together at the end. Adult content crafted in a way that it is able to be shown on network tv. We love characters who in real life would not be that likeable, which we see in the finale. Every episode is re-watchable. Every single episode is good. Just an amazing show. I'm a fan of re-occurring staples of a show. Kramer's entrances, Newman and Jerry's greetings, Jerry's stage comedy, Jerry's silly reasons to break up with his girlfriends. Once, I thought of making a list of Jerry's girlfriends. My favorites on down. When I started to research, I saw there are multiple websites ranking Jerry's girlfriends.... that shows how big this show is to Seinfeld fans, how much we connected to it.

Curb Your Enthusiasm... shows how much of a genius Larry David is. Plot, outline, ...... improvise. Retroscripting. One of the things that grabbed me about this show is how authentic the scenes felt. Laughter was actual laughter. A reaction was an actual reaction. Two or three takes, use the best one. Great concept. Less time consuming, allowing the show to keep great stars on as regulars. Allow people to be exaggerations of themselves. Wrestling should take notes! Many see main differences in the protagonist, main character's side kicks. Also, being able to curse. Much of this is true with language because I'll watch Seinfeld with any one, a few episodes may be uncomfortable. I can't say the same about Curb Your Enthusiasm. I prefer to watch it alone anyway. I often have to pause the tv so I can finish laughing and processing what I've seen so I don't miss out on what happens next. I laugh harder at CYE than Seinfeld. I love Larry David's character of himself much more than Jerry. I relate to Larry much more than Jerry.

Two stories that happened to me....
Seinfeld story... Two people and myself are looking to rent a place. First house, terrible. Doors missing, terrible neighborhood, house not finished. We're upset he is wasting our time. Second house, better but we decide not to rent from him. Second house has a tenant not home. As we are leaving, the guy showing us the house opens the front door and the dog takes off outside. Runs off. He is looking at us like maybe we will help. We weren't near the front door when he opened it. It was 100% his fault. We're not going to rent. We leave. When we got in the car, we are laughing at him running around after the dog and we say, "Seinfeld moment." I can see this happening to Jerry, George, and Elaine.

Curb Your Enthusiasm story.... I used to rent at a nice place with two pools at the club house. The two separate pools are next to each other, but separate. (Think of the Maryland state flag. Imagine the black gold as pool, the red white as concrete sitting areas). I lived by myself and this day I'm talking about I went to the pool alone. I just chilled out, mind my own business. Not a lot of people were there at first. Different people came to the pool, different people left. I was hanging on the side of the wall. Back to the wall, then face the wall with my head resting on it. Sun on my chest, sun on my back. No big deal. While I was facing the wall, I kind of dozed off. I wake up when I hear the last people leaving the pool area, except for one couple in the pool with me. I close my eyes again. Shortly after, I hear some smacking sounds. This couple in the pool are lightly kissing, but easily heard because it's the only sound in a quiet place. I was in that pool way before they were. A good hour before them. There is another pool they could get in if they want privacy. He looks 50, she looks 30. I shouldn't be embarrassed, they should be embarrassed. I stay, continue to rotate from facing the wall to back to the wall. Not staring at them, but they are right there so there is some eye contact. I tell this story to my friends, expecting every one to be on my side. Every one I've ever told this story to says I should have moved to the other pool. I think everybody is wrong. I know who would agree with me... Larry David from Curb Your Ethusiasm! After hearing me tell the story, one of my friends actually said, "You're just like Larry David." I took it as a complement.

Study "Seinfeld" to learn how to write sitcom. Study "Curb Your Enthusiasm" to see how to do a retroscript.

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
Seinfeld had Julia Louis-Dreyfus in her prime and more varied and vivid characters

The answer is the show about nothing

·
Baby Yoda
29,829 Posts
I like both but prefer Curb your enthusiasm. Larry is brilliant and the set ups and writing is better IMO, not that Seinfeld's aren't. Seinfeld was funny but the way the story seems to play out and come together towards the end of the episode for CYE is hilarious.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I've always said that Seinfeld gave you 4 very unique characters, with 4 different points of view, that gave you 4 different reactions and interpretations of everything around them

Curb just gives you the one point of view and the one character to be the center. As someone else said Curb is like if Seinfeld was focused entirely on George Costanza and the rest of the other characters revolved around him. Still ridiculously funny, but not nearly as diverse as Seinfeld

I don't necessarily care about swearing to make a comedy better. Seinfeld proved that you can be just as suggestive, but give a wink to the camera, without coming out and directly saying what they're "really" talking about.

I can get bored with Curb after 4 episodes in a row. Seinfeld I can plow through 8 to 10 and still be laughing my fucking ass off at every one of them

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seinfeld had Julia Louis-Dreyfus in her prime and more varied and vivid characters

The answer is the show about nothing
Really? Elaine was actually my least favourite of the main Seinfeld characters. Sure she had her moments, but my favourites were George and Kramer, with Jerry in a close third. Also, Jerry was Jerry, George was based on Larry David and Kramer was based on Larry David's neighbour. Elaine was basically fictional and a demand from NBC to get a main female character in order to not make the show too male-centric. She doesn't even appear in the pilot episode, remember.

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
Really? Elaine was actually my least favourite of the main Seinfeld characters. Sure she had her moments, but my favourites were George and Kramer, with Jerry in a close third. Also, Jerry was Jerry, George was based on Larry David and Kramer was based on Larry David's neighbour. Elaine was basically fictional and a demand from NBC to get a main female character in order to not make the show too male-centric. She doesn't even appear in the pilot episode, remember.
I meant her physical prime :cena5

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I meant her physical prime :cena5
Oh THAT. Well, sure, but tbh Julia dressed quite poorly in the early Seinfeld seasons and her hairstyle didn't suit her very well. I actually prefer the way she's looked on the show she starred after Seinfeld, Adventures of Christine or whatever.

But yes, she's a pretty woman.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like both but prefer Curb your enthusiasm. Larry is brilliant and the set ups and writing is better IMO, not that Seinfeld's aren't. Seinfeld was funny but the way the story seems to play out and come together towards the end of the episode for CYE is hilarious.
As someone who enjoys writing as a hobby, both Seinfeld and CYE are big inspirations for me. Especially when it comes to situations where two people are stuck in a waiting room and need something to talk/argue about or something haha . It's no wonder Seinfeld aged so well and CYE probably will as well. A lot of their humour is timeless.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I love both but they are totally different shows. I really couldn't pick one or the other.

Curb creates those tense cringy moments with LD that are like a car crash you can't look away from
The Sein has great characters that play off of each other and perfectly written story lines

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
I just couldn't stand Larry after season 5 or 6 or somewhere around there, and not in the good way. Sure it was a hilarious show but it just became too much of him after a while being just an awful human being.

Seinfeld is head and shoulders above. Kramer is one of my all time favourite characters, and all the 4 just work so well together. Add to that the great regular peripheral characters, as well as people like The High Talker, The Close Talker, Bubble Boy, Soup Nazi etc etc.

There's just so much more to Seinfeld.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love both but they are totally different shows. I really couldn't pick one or the other.

Curb creates those tense cringy moments with LD that are like a car crash you can't look away from
The Sein has great characters that play off of each other and perfectly written story lines
I just couldn't stand Larry after season 5 or 6 or somewhere around there, and not in the good way. Sure it was a hilarious show but it just became too much of him after a while being just an awful human being.

Seinfeld is head and shoulders above. Kramer is one of my all time favourite characters, and all the 4 just work so well together. Add to that the great regular peripheral characters, as well as people like The High Talker, The Close Talker, Bubble Boy, Soup Nazi etc etc.

There's just so much more to Seinfeld.
Yes, Curb can be a bit cringey at times and makes you feel some sort of second-hand embarrassment when watching Larry David throwing his tantrums, but I think that's the point. You're supposed to think he's a weird autistic billionaire who doesn't understand certain social conventions and rules and is out of touch with the world.

It's scary, but the older I get the more I relate to Larry David and George Costanza... differences aside, that is :lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts