Wrestling Forum banner

Seeking Advice from fellow WF'ers

1087 Views 14 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Isaias4u2nv
My situation is complicated currently, well, at least I interpret it that way. I am a college student who is at the end of the alotted time for a two year, Associates degree in Criminal Justice & English.

Here's my options:

#1:
-Transfer back to Cincinatti, the nation's leading Graduate and Undergrad programs in CRJ. Receive my B.S. and go from there. This route would probably provivde prestige to my degree and I am inclined to believe the best scenario in terms of academics.

However, with everyone receiving degrees from various institutions that nobody has heard of, I'm afraid the legitimacy of a hard-earned, prestigious degree is devalued. Seems as if there isn't much of an emphasis on succeeding at a high quality institution anymore.

#2:
-Transfer to UNLV, enjoy being independent. Love the environment, the atmosphere, the weather, the city of Vegas. Attain B.S. in CRJ and English, proceed accordingly after.

OR (this is where it gets confusing to me)

#3:
-Finish Associate's, apply as a correctional cfficer for the county (I'll get in as I have ties; my uncle is a Judge and what not). Receive job, make $41K a year + benefits. Part of the benefits include the Sheriff's office paying for your continued college education. So either full time C/O + full time student, or full time C/O + part time student.

--------------------
My heart isn't leaning in any direction, quite honestly. I know option 3 is the most economical route, even though I don't aspire to be a correctional officer. I want to be a lawyer and pursue law school after my undergrad, if anyone was wondering.

Advice and/or opinions?

I usually wouldn't ask for advice from anyone as this decision is 100% mine to make, but my mind is in such shambles right now.

Thanks.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,446 Posts
My heart isn't leaning in any direction, quite honestly. I know option 3 is the most economical route, even though I don't aspire to be a correctional officer. I want to be a lawyer and pursue law school after my undergrad, if anyone was wondering.

Advice and/or opinions?

I usually wouldn't ask for advice from anyone as this decision is 100% mine to make, but my mind is in such shambles right now.

Thanks.
If you don't want to spend your life as a correction officer then DO NOT take that route, even if it seems like the safest choice. You'll only regret it later on in life. What is it that you want to do with your life? Make that decision first and then choose any path that will get you there. If you want to be a lawyer, then make it happen.

· Administrator
80,768 Posts
Father Flex said:
However, with everyone receiving degrees from various institutions that nobody has heard of, I'm afraid the legitimacy of a hard-earned, prestigious degree is devalued. Seems as if there isn't much of an emphasis on succeeding at a high quality institution anymore.
Pretty much. As long as you have the education, you're fine.

I'd go with number 2. Live it up in Vegas and enjoy the rest of the college experience. Unless you're in financial depression, I wouldn't consider 3 too much.

· Minority share owner of the Green Bay Packers
5,313 Posts
If you don't want to spend your life as a correction officer then DO NOT take that route, even if it seems like the safest choice. You'll only regret it later on in life. What is it that you want to do with your life? Make that decision first and then choose any path that will get you there. If you want to be a lawyer, then make it happen.
THIS. If you are ok with the prospect of being a corrections officer for the rest of your life, then do that. But whatever you do, don't think that you will go just back to school in a few years. So many people do that, including myself. They say that they will just take a job for a while then go back to school. Next thing you know, you get in a routine, it's 10 yrs later and you have a wife and kid(s). So, if you DO want to finish your schooling, DO IT NOW.

As for which school, I don't know. It comes down to what you want now AND LATER. If you want to chill, have fun, but still get a decent education go to Vegas. It isn't like UNLV is a 2nd rate 2yr college. If you want what is the absolute best for the future, and you think that is Cinncinati, then that is it.

So basically, figure out what YOU WANT, and do it.

· Veni, vidi, vici
16,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey man are you from Cincinnati? I don't really have any advice to give, because saying Option 1 would be bias. I'm from the area, and have always been a fan of the Bearcats. I know I'm not much help, I was just wondering if you are from that area.
Originally from IL and currently residing in IL at the moment. A year back I moved to Cincinnati, ended up enrolling at UC. Failed miserably out there my first semester. Crumbled due to various reasons (dad was in bad shape back home, was unsure what I wanted to do career wise, thought the Gen. Ed courses were pointless, etc,.) in Cincinnati. I LOVED it out there, however. Apart from the high crime rate in the heart of Cinci, it's an ideal place to live but, as you can tell, I was forced to return back home. I went to a local four year and will be looking to leave again shortly.

I loved that area.

· Boats & Hoes!
1,872 Posts
#3:
-Finish Associate's, apply as a correctional cfficer for the county (I'll get in as I have ties; my uncle is a Judge and what not). Receive job, make $41K a year + benefits. Part of the benefits include the Sheriff's office paying for your continued college education. So either full time C/O + full time student, or full time C/O + part time student.
To be real with this would be the option I would take and I will explain to you why...

1-You are already putting one foot in the door in a field that has alot of competition and hard to get into

2-Also from 'MY' personal life experience is more valuable than Degrees.

3-Now in days many employeers prefer the persone with expirience noboby wants to train somebody from ZERO.

So that is my opinion on the subject best thing I can tell you is to try to make a well thought out decision and think with your brain not with your heart.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.