Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...

This is a legit thread so would appreciate some legit advice.

I'm currently in the process of saving a bunch of money to go travelling with two of my friends. They both have their heart set on Australia and I'm interested too but there's still a niggling feeling that it's not the place for me.

I've always felt I'm more of an America-girl. I absolutely loved New York when I visited a couple of years ago and ideally I want to work in the US at some point.

Question is if you had enough money, out of the two places, where would you go?

Australians/Americans can you help a sister out here? Negatives/positives etc...

Actually, anyone help me out.

Just looking for a little clarity. It's a big decision to leave a job and just pack up and go somewhere for 6 months and not gonna lie totally crapping my pants so any advice or opinions would be wonderful and v. much appreciated

Thanks guys and gals :)

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
America for me. Australia sounds more exotic. It also has a better international reputation. But what is there to really do in Australia?

Australia is just like a hot England. From what I know from friends who have been there, it's a really great place, and you'll have a great time, but beyond the beaches, the Great Barrier reef and a few city based landmarks I can't see a terrible appeal, unless you really fucking love shit lager and beach culture (which would get old fast?). Maybe an Aussie can correct me.

America on the other hand is such a unique and varied place, if I had the money I'd definitely be investing in a trip across as many American states as possible, the variation in the beautiful landscapes and the types of people, there just seems too much variety to turn down. Especially if you have 6 months.

P.S. Why not 3 months in each place?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Would really help out if you told us about yourself, i.e. your interests, hobbies, whether or not you want that good american D, etc.

·
Locker Room Leader
12,168 Posts
Depends on what you like to do in your travels I guess.

I'm more of a nature guy, exploring, trekking, adventure sports and the like so I'd skip both America and Australia and go to New Zealand lol. My #1 dream destination.

From your two choices, I'd pick America. A little bit of everything. Though my knowledge of Australian tourism is very limited outside of the wildlife and the Barrier reef so ask some Aussie posters.

Reactions: tylermoxreigns
60,006 Posts
America has everything, deserts, oceans, mountains, skiing surfing, canyons. Hell, my home state of California has everything I mentioned,by itself. I'm sure Australia is cool too,as long as you avoid the mutants in the wasteland. ;)

·
tombstone blues
14,292 Posts
it's a hard decision america and australia both offer about a million cool choices whether you want beautiful scenery and weather, lots of entertainment and cultural places to visit, impressive architecture, great food, whatever.

·
The Man
15,344 Posts
Well, I'd probably choose Australia if only because I'm from America. I do love the outdoors though so would love to go snorkeling and whatnot. Even in that case though I'm having a hard time thinking of stuff to keep me occupied for 6 months... I'm sure that wouldn't be too difficult but in America you could spend 6 months just taking a road trip and could pass through all sorts of different cultures, environments, biomes, etc. Of course if you were just going to hunker down in one area of America for 6 months that would change things again too.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Both countries vary a lot depending on the regions you're considering. It's not like some European countries where everything tends to be a little less diverse. What sort things would you and your friends be interested in doing on your vacation? That may factor into my decision as well.

Personally I'd go with Australia but thats probably more because it would be new and exciting for me.

·
Likes wrestling....
11,387 Posts
Always wanted to go to Australia although I admit I know little outside of Sydney.

I travel allot within America and have really enjoyed the diversity.

How long do you intend on staying, that would make a difference in where I would go.

Sounds like you are into the city lights though, and if you are interested in a couple of alternatives to New York I would consider both Chicago and Nashville. Chicago for that big city feel and plenty of nightlife, Nashville for the music scene and a cool downtown to explore. Then it goes without saying that Orlando has lots of entertainment options. However I am not sure those are more than a week travel destinations.

West Coast of America offers a great variety of experiences too. Just depends on what you want. You could easily rent a car and see Las Vegas and make the drive at some point to California.

·
Running From Work, Jumping To Conclusions
1,840 Posts
Depends where you would want to go in Australia. Western Australia is dull and nobody goes to WA. Northern Territory is REALLY hot and full of red dirt and sand. South Australia... I cannot think of anything exciting about SA. People forget about Tasmania and probably for a good reason. Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland are the only states in this country worth visiting. Queensland has the theme parks all in one area so people like that and the Gold Coast is pretty awesome. Don't visit Australia, just visit Queensland.

Plus we elected Tony Abbot as our leader. In fact, go to New Zealand instead of Australia and America. Everybody loves New Zealand.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Im from Scotland. Upped and left for Australia on a 1 year visa. 7 month in and I hope to never return back to the UK. Its incredible over here. You will get a job easily, the wages are brilliant (I work in a call centre and im on $25.00 ph - compare that to UK wage..).

If you like a chilled out vibe in a place where people love beer, bbq and the sun OZ is for you.

·
Locker Room Leader
12,168 Posts
Depends where you would want to go in Australia. Western Australia is dull and nobody goes to WA. Northern Territory is REALLY hot and full of red dirt and sand. South Australia... I cannot think of anything exciting about SA. People forget about Tasmania and probably for a good reason. Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland are the only states in this country worth visiting. Queensland has the theme parks all in one area so people like that and the Gold Coast is pretty awesome. Don't visit Australia, just visit Queensland.

Plus we elected Tony Abbot as our leader. In fact, go to New Zealand instead of Australia and America. Everybody loves New Zealand.

Agreed about NZ. Criminal how often it gets overlooked. I'm planning to move there in a few years, everyone who's been there absolutely loves the place. And there's so much variety in such a small country, it's incredible.

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
America has everything, deserts, oceans, mountains, skiing surfing, canyons. Hell, my home state of California has everything I mentioned,by itself. I'm sure Australia is cool too,as long as you avoid the mutants in the wasteland. ;)
Australia has all of those things too. +

Our unique animals are one of the many reasons people visit our country. Australia has more than 378 mammal species, 828 bird species, 4000 fish species, 300 species of lizards, 140 snake species, two crocodile species and around 50 types of marine mammal.

More than 80 per cent of our plants, mammals, reptiles and frogs are unique to Australia and are found no-where else.
Some of our best-known animals are the kangaroo, koala, echidna, dingo, platypus, wallaby and wombat.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts