Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is very clear that Cena has been at the very top for the past five years, but who out of the two (Orton or Batista) do you think came in second to him?

I would say Batista came in second, because his feuds were more significant and he had a moment where he even surpassed Cena briefly.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
It was Batista, even if Batista never came along I wouldn't say Orton is second to Cena right now because Orton really hasn't reached anywhere special, he isn't even that big, it's just that there is no other person who is big enough to be second at the moment, Orton hasn't really done anything significant either.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Randy Orton has never been 2nd most popular in WWE, Undertaker, HHH and Mysterio were and still are ahead of him.

Orton has never reached the popularity that Batista had during his peak years.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Big Dave, i'd put Orton on that level of being 'the man', with Edge, Jericho maybe, in terms of the last 5/6 years or so.
- Cena, Batista (also Taker, HHH etc...)
- Edge, Orton, Jericho

Can't see why they are pushing Orton so hard, and have been doing since late 08 at times, yeh he can draw, is big name, can have a consistent career and will stay loyal, but it's all about the money and act like he causes the money boat to come sailing in...

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Batista and it isn't even close. Orton was adrift and trying to get his entire career back on track for about half of the period of time during which Batista was ruling WWE along with Cena.

At this very moment, though, Orton is #2. A lot of it is by default as others have stated, a good deal of it is the momentum he's had for most of this year a newly-minted babyface, and a lot of it is how WWE has pushed him into that position as well. But it's working out for him right now in any event.

But in the past five years, Batista was light-years ahead of Orton. At Wrestlemania XXIII, for instance, Batista vs. Undertaker was a huge marquee match-up along with Cena/HBK and Donald Trump's involvement. Meanwhile, Orton was in the Money in the Bank opener with Rated RKO teammate Edge. Later that year Orton finally started turning it around, but even with Batista's numerous breaks due to injuries, he never began to catch up with Batista while Batista was still active.

·
"The Sex Tornado"
2,260 Posts
Batista. In 2005 until Wrestlemania 22, Batista was the #1 star in the company. From there, he played a close #2 to Cena (although Dave could never match merch sales with him). Just look at how WWE booked Cena and Batista while they were on RAW together. They could easily take one out of the title picture and place the other one in. It always felt like whichever one was main eventing at the time, he was the top guy.

Orton from 2005-2007 was not even a consistent main eventer. He was a guy that WWE could plug in to any main event, but he was never a top star. Even when he had his breakout year in 2008, Batista and Cena were still miles ahead of him in star power. In 2009, Batista squashed Orton in back-to-back matches (Extreme Rules and his return match in September). It's a no contest on who was the #2 guy.

·
Banned
4,730 Posts
In the past five years? Batista for sure. Right now? From all the active wrestlers? I'd have to go with Orton. You can spew your shit about Rey, but on star power alone Orton outshines him right now. I don't know why some refuse to acknowledge Orton as second to Cena nowadays.

Orton will never be that popular, people don't really like lizards.
I didn't know vipers were lizards.

·
No Cena is good Cena
2,418 Posts
Ok, past five years go to Batista but 5 years from now Orton will be a living legend while Batista will be vaguely remembered as a big dumb thug that had a few good matches.

·
Banned
4,730 Posts
If Batista were to come back to WWE now Orton would be the bigger star. It'd be interesting to see. Last time Batista and Orton butted heads, Orton needed Legacy's back. When Legacy weren't there Batista DESTROYED Orton. Now though, kayfabe wise, the match would be pretty even. If Batista were heel it's safe to say Orton would beat him. If it were face vs face, I think Orton would win due to him being the bigger star now.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
If Batista were to come back to WWE now Orton would be the bigger star. It'd be interesting to see. Last time Batista and Orton butted heads, Orton needed Legacy's back. When Legacy weren't there Batista DESTROYED Orton. Now though, kayfabe wise, the match would be pretty even. If Batista were heel it's safe to say Orton would beat him. If it were face vs face, I think Orton would win due to him being the bigger star now.
Not sure about Orton being a bigger star if Dave came back, I think the buzz around him will make him seem a bigger star, Trips in 02 syas hi, as Batista's name would be in the (wrestling) news more, and more people would see what he's up to as opposed to Orton if he were to fued with him. But can't tell until if it happens.

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts
The animal BAAAAAAAAAAAAATISTAAAAAAAAAAA!!

to be fair tho, Orton only been a face a few months

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Batista was HUGE draw in 2006 and 2007. Randy Orton will never come even close to that.

·
Banned
4,730 Posts
Not sure about Orton being a bigger star if Dave came back, I think the buzz around him will make him seem a bigger star, Trips in 02 syas hi, as Batista's name would be in the (wrestling) news more, and more people would see what he's up to as opposed to Orton if he were to fued with him. But can't tell until if it happens.
If Dave were to come back tomorrow, I can't see him going over Orton. Orton is relevant right now. Making a big return wouldn't make Batista more relevant than Orton. It'd make for a good feud but the inevitable winner would be Orton.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts