Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During an interview recently, Hall said that Sting was the backup plan to join the nWo if Hogan hadn't.

I didn't know this...and not sure if many here did? What are your thoughts if Sting would have joined rather than Hogan?

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
Yeah, I've heard this as well. Question then becomes had Sting joined the NWO in 1996 would the angle have gotten over as much as it did with Hogan being the 3rd guy.

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
Yeah, I've heard this as well. Question then becomes had Sting joined the NWO in 1996 would the angle have gotten over as much as it did with Hogan being the 3rd guy.
Definitely not. Sure, the angle would have been cool probably regardless, but the Hogan heel turn shocked the wrestling world and changed wrestling forever.

Then, there are the rumors of Bret Hart being the 3rd man when WCW was trying to sign him post Mania 12.

·
Contemplate or Procrastinate?
127 Posts
Yeah I've heard about this and quite honestly for me love for loathe him Hogan was in my mind the major reason for the NWO buzz as it was something cool and also Hogan was perceived as going stale meaning when Hogan the ultimate babyface turning created a buzz that I don't think anyone else could replicate if it was Sting quite honestly I can't see it coming close to even replicating the success as Sting has in my opinion never played a heel in a convincing manner.

·
Breaking kayfabe to get over.
1,377 Posts
While the angle would have still gotten over, I don't think it would have been as big. Not to mention it wouldn't have made as much sense considering Hogan, Hall, and Nash made their names in the WWF.

Edit: This should probably go in the Classic Wrestling section.

·
Banned
93 Posts
the angle wouldn't have worked if Sting was in the nWo instead of Hogan. You had Sting that was a WCW guy from head to toe and Hogan that was a WWF guy. Why would the franchise of WCW turn against his own company and have Hogan being the saviour of WCW when he was a WWF guy? No sense to do this shit and i'm glad that Hogan accepted and we saw the 2nd boom period in the history of wrestling.

·
Registered
103 Posts
wasnt aware of this. interesting. definitely would not have been as big. Crow storyline Sting was one of my favorite angles too..i'd rather him come from the rafters with the bat and attack nWo than be an original.

would that mean we would have gotten Crow Hogan? lol

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Not sure how big the angle would've been, but I think it still had a lot of potential. Honestly, it probably would've still went well as long as they didn't have to deal with a face Hogan, who would put himself over the NWO at the first or second PPV, and in the process killing the angle.

·
I'm too busy, faded in Japan with the crew
10,397 Posts
Say hello to the bad guy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No way the angle works unless Hogan was the 3rd guy. Obviously they would have run the angle anyway, but it never would have lasted as long as it did without Hogan. Just look at where it went after Hogan was phased out. Nowhere.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts