Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our time really is running out: Scientists put forward theory suggesting that the universe could grind to a halt

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...esting-universe-grind-halt.html#ixzz1y7wGg83w

People often say that time speeds up as we age, but if the latest scientific theory is true the opposite could well be the case.

The radical theory by academics suggests that time itself could be slowing down - and may eventually grind to a halt altogether.

The latest mind-bending findings - put forward by researchers working at two Spanish universities - proposes that we have all been fooled into thinking the universe is expanding.
A computer visualization of dark matter in the Universe which scientists have previously battled to explain

A computer visualization of dark matter in the Universe which scientists have previously battled to explain

In fact, they say, time itself is slowing down until eventually, in billions of years time, it will cease altogether.

Although the findings might sound worrying, however, it's probably not worth losing any sleep over, or indeed spending too long mulling over.

According to scientists, the gradual loss of time is not noticeable to the human eye.

And anyway, they say, we'll all be long gone by the time time really does end.

Professor Senovilla told New Scientist magazine: 'Everything will be frozen, like a snapshot of one instant, forever.

'Our planet will be long gone by then.'

Scientists have previously measured the light from distant exploding stars to show that the universe is expanding at a rapid rate.

The accepted theory is based on the idea that a kind of anti-gravitational force - known as 'dark energy' - must be driving galaxies apart.

However, the scientists working on the latest theory say that we're looking at thing backwards.

And Senovilla proposes that the current assumption has got it all wrong - with the appearance of acceleration instead caused by time gradually slowing.

It might sound difficult to believe, but a cosmologist at Cambridge University, says the idea is not without substance:

'We believe that time emerged during the Big Bang, and if time can emerge, it can also disappear - that's just the reverse effect.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...esting-universe-grind-halt.html#ixzz1y7wNvRrc

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
hasnt this theory always been existent?

the theory that reality will continue to expand forever

the theory the universe will contract

the theory the universe will just stay the same

dont see what this proves

·
KAMEHAMEHA!
18,184 Posts
Of course it matters, but at this point I'm still content to take this as hypothesis with a flawed inference.

·
EIRE
15,862 Posts
Morris Day knows,

As for this... meh, I'm sure it will eventually stop, I really couldn't care less though. We all gotta die. :)

:lmao

Oh Crofty, every once and awhile you make me laugh. I love that movie. As far as time stopping goes, I'm far too high for this right now. It is fascinating, though.

·
The Sundance Kid
18,526 Posts
I just hope time doesn't roll back and I have to live through this shit again.

Don't get me wrong I love living, I just hate repeats.

·
Super Moderator
25,842 Posts
I graduated high school six years ago, and even that doesn't feel too long ago. Time does zip by, that's for sure.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Someone call The Doctor!

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
I wonder if these scientists ever step back and think, "Wow, someone's actually paying me to research shit that won't matter in the entire span of our planets life."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts