Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know the story, he fell 78 feet and went chest first into the top rope, dying some minutes later. His official cause of death was cited as internal bleeding from blunt trauma to the chest. I'm just thinking what his odds would have been if he landed better, it's undeniable that hitting the ropes was the worst thing that could happen aside from hitting the turnbuckle, the full force of the impact being absorbed by his chest cavity. I'm thinking if he landed more or less flat on his back, it's possible he could have survived with serious injury and possibly even brain damage. Keeping in mind that though the ring isn't soft, it is designed to absorb a significant degree of the impact.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
You can't survive a 78 foot drop. Short of landing on a safety net, you would die on impact. Landing on his back at that speed would be like getting hit in the back with a mack truck at highway speeds. I'm thinking landing on his side would have been the best option. If he landed on his back, his spine would have taken massive damage. The thing is, when you are falling like that, the last thing on your mind is how to fall I'm sure.

·
Stopping The Show
1,973 Posts
not sure i mean the ring is made to to lessen impact of a fall thats how guys can jump off 12 ft ladders with no injury and such but not sure bout that height..... but if it was able to absorb most of the fall then he went through the ring he may have survived with broken body parts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
and what would of made a more softer landing? the ring, outside the ring, the turnbuckle? would of been bad either way

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Sounds crazy but maybe they should've have the whole ring cushioned before he performed the stunt just in case shit went wrong which it did.

·
Stopping The Show
1,973 Posts
and what would of made a more softer landing? the ring, outside the ring, the turnbuckle? would of been bad either way
the ring obv...... the superstars cant jump off the top of ladders and land flat on the outside of the ring but can manage to do it inside the ring... so the mat must have a lot of shock absorbing going on.,,, not saying enough shock absorbing to save owens fall... but much more of a chance than straight on the turnbuckle or hitting the outside of the rings concrete.

·
Registered
12,926 Posts
I remember Mick Foley saying rings used to have far less padding than they do these days [He was talking about it in regards to his unplanned King of the Ring fall during the Hell in the Cell match]. Factor that in along with falling like 80 feet and there's little chance you are going to survive it.

BTW, this is such a morbid topic lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think he would have survived either way. If he didn't die he would at least have some form of serious injury such as brain damage or be paralyzed due to spinal damage.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Maybe, just maybe there is a fractional chance that he survives a fall into the middle. Long shot odds. He fell the equivalent of a nearly 8 story building.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
If there was any slight chance of survival he wouldn't be wrestling now that's for sure, would be in a vegetated state if anything.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
To give a bit of boring physics, any time you land on a solid surface after a long fall, you are in serious trouble. The sudden stop would cause your internal organs to get bounced around inside your body and probably mushed against the ribcage. This is pretty much pointless speculation regardless.

·
Registered
567 Posts
How morbid.

But no, I highly doubt he would have survived, maybe by a miracle.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Humans can't survive a fall of more than 5 stories so unless there was a crash pad waiting for him Owen was toast as soon as he started to drop. Hitting the ropes probably slowed his death a little bit because the bulk of the trauma was to his chest and not spread over his whole body since you'd think that would liquify his organs.

·
FAKE HAPPY
12,532 Posts
Very little. They would be better, if he landed on ring.

I wonder, what if he landed on people in the crowd?

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Could he have survived? yes. Is it likely? no. People have survived much higher falls than that and onto much harder surfaces.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.