Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John Cena is the biggest draw in wrestling today, and has been that for more than 5 years now. 10 years ago, the biggest draws were Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock and nWo. My question is that say he were 10 years older, and wrestled for WCW; what standing would he have had with the company, what kind of character would he have portrayed, and how instrumental would he have been in deciding the direction of the Monday Night Wars.

·
I live in a pineapple....under the sea.
530 Posts
since his first gimmick was the freestyle rapper gimick...i assume he would have done that back in wcw and it would have been immensly over since wcw had more of an older audience.....although im not too sure that he would of been a major draw, or even main eventer. with the like of the rock n austin etc i think he would have be a mid carder that occasionally wrestled main events....

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
since his first gimmick was the freestyle rapper gimick...i assume he would have done that back in wcw and it would have been immensly over since wcw had more of an older audience.....although im not too sure that he would of been a major draw, or even main eventer. with the like of the rock n austin etc i think he would have be a mid carder that occasionally wrestled main events....
Pretty much this

·
Registered
648 Posts
He probably would have just been a midcarder at best. Back in '99 and before the whole white-boy rapper gimmick would probably not have gone over nearly as well as it did in the middle of last decade. Back then, Eminem was just getting big, he wasn't the big mainstream star he is today. Cena would likely have been seen as a bad joke at best, or a Vanilla Ice wannabe rip off at worst.

·
Number 30 in the Rumble
1,622 Posts
It's hard to imagine in that time period, wrestling has changed so much since then. His character would probably be completely different, but he has great mic skills so I'm sure he would have done well. If he were in WCW I imagine he would have been a babyface, but with a completely differenrt gimmick and character to his current WWE one, and fighting against the NWO.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
He would have jobbed to Hogan & the rest of the nwo. Just like everyone else did.

EDIT: OP, are you from the WWE Universe website by any chance? :lmao

·
Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
3,915 Posts
Everyone else posting would be going John Who?

He wouldn't have broken out, at all. The NWO dominance made sure we never saw new wrestlers prosper. With all the great wrestlers WCW did have (that WWE picked up in 2001), I don't think Cena would have made the cut.

·
Banned
306 Posts
With NWO I highly doubt he would of been then what he is today, and I am not completly sure he would of been one of the wrestlers to make the cut.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
He probably would have just been a midcarder at best. Back in '99 and before the whole white-boy rapper gimmick would probably not have gone over nearly as well as it did in the middle of last decade. Back then, Eminem was just getting big, he wasn't the big mainstream star he is today. Cena would likely have been seen as a bad joke at best, or a Vanilla Ice wannabe rip off at worst.
Nonsense. Eminem was a HUGE star in 2000. Hell, his best-selling album, his best album period (The Marshall Mathers LP), came out in 2000 and sold 19 million freakin' copies and sat at #1 for 8 weeks. If anything, Cena's gimmick would have been HOTTER then than it was in 2003.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
He would've been fucked because WCW didn't start building new stars until they were sunk as an organization.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
The rapper gimmick was Stephanie Mcmahon's idea, so it's not likely he would've had it in WCW. And if he did have a rap gimmick in WCW, it wouldn't have been battle rap specific because 8 Mile created a surge of popularity of battle rapping after the movie was released, 2003-ish, and that influenced the John Cena character we know. WCW went out of business way before that shift in pop culture.

In WCW, he probably wouldn't have become much more than his Prototype gimmick. He would've been a bland 'pretty boy' blue chipper from the WCW Power Plant, and not given much opportunities for development on Nitro or Thunder

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
This may have been a little too early to steal Eminem's gimmick and succeed with it, so he would have been nothing.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Nonsense. Eminem was a HUGE star in 2000. Hell, his best-selling album, his best album period (The Marshall Mathers LP), came out in 2000 and sold 19 million freakin' copies and sat at #1 for 8 weeks. If anything, Cena's gimmick would have been HOTTER then than it was in 2003.
Did I not say '99 and before? I think I did.

Anyway, even in 2000 Eminem was just a hot up and coming star who was selling big. He was not the established mainstream star he is today.

·
Registered
919 Posts
His stupid gimmick wouldn't go over because it doesn't fit with the WCW product. Also that period has so much talent that Cena would be lucky to make the roster.

·
ALL HAIL THE MAHARAJA
2,269 Posts
The rapper gimmick was Stephanie Mcmahon's idea, so it's not likely he would've had it in WCW. And if he did have a rap gimmick in WCW, it wouldn't have been battle rap specific because 8 Mile created a surge of popularity of battle rapping after the movie was released, 2003-ish, and that influenced the John Cena character we know. WCW went out of business way before that shift in pop culture.

In WCW, he probably wouldn't have become much more than his Prototype gimmick. He would've been a bland 'pretty boy' blue chipper from the WCW Power Plant, and not given much opportunities for development on Nitro or Thunder
Actually it wasn't Cena was rapping with the Smackdown guys at the back and the creative team heard him and decided to give him the rapper gimmick.

·
Resident Old Man
3,677 Posts
Using his current gimmick, he would have been a joke. With the rapper / heel gimmick, he might have been in the midcard.

Honestly, Cena is a product of the WWE. In my honest opinion, he wouldn't have made it without them pushing him like they did. Some stuff he does is impressive, but it can't compare to the Rock or Austin in their heyday. Also, in WCW, without political power, he wouldn't have had a chance.

Take for example, Jericho. He is a prime example of someone very talented (moreso than Cena) and was barely in the mid card in WCW. Then when the WWE brought him in, he was automatically in the main event.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts