Wrestling Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,145 Posts
Wrestling fans are awful, you know there's a story being told, you know what the end goal is, but you intentionally miss the forest for the trees so you can have something to bitch about.

Asuka was handed the title, barely squeaked past Nia Jax and only beat Charlotte because of injury-- she was already having a terrible title reign and had no worthy challengers, now you want to see her develop her character, murder Sasha at the second biggest show of the year, and properly earn her title, at the same time it creates a powder keg between Sasha and Bayley because the first one that loses their title is going to be jealous of the other, or maybe one accidentally costs the other their title.

You guys are marks for booking and fake accolades when you're supposed to be a mark for the story. I can't imagine any of you growing up on the AE, you would've been like "it's stupid they gave Mankind the title with help from Austin, it devalues the title" meanwhile you would've missed the story that it was a massive fuck you to the Corporation.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Now they can just do Bayley vs. Sasha winner take all and only have 1 women's title, tag-team titles included.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wrestling fans are awful, you know there's a story being told, you know what the end goal is, but you intentionally miss the forest for the trees so you can have something to bitch about.
This all depends on where the end goal actually is, and if the babyface in this situation gets the desired, meaningful payoff. There have been COUNTLESS times in recent memory where that payoff never came, and the babyfaces continued to be booked like geeks, and the heels' "heat" dragged on for months and months, with no end in sight. Vince, by all acounts, frequently rips up and re-writes scripts at the drop of a hat (he's supposedly done it twice already with Asuka's PPV title defenses). He MIGHT have Sasha drop the RAW title back to Asuka at SummerSlam, and give Asuka a renewed, actually well-booked story going forward, while they FINALLY (after YEARS) get moving on the Sasha/Bayley feud. Or he might just keep having Sasha and Bayley cut the same obnoxious promo with all of the belts for three more months, while every other female talent sits and waits for any significant progression in their stories.

Recent WWE Creative have not earned the benefit of anyone's doubt at this point, but hey, we'll see what happens at SummerSlam. Perhaps they'll tell the story in a satisfying fashion this time. Or maybe they'll be so desperate to do Sasha vs. Bayley in front of a big crowd (whenever THAT's possible) that we'll still be talking about this leading into SummerSlam 2021. I can only speak for myself in saying that the longer they carry ALL of the belts, the less I'll sympathize with either of them (whoever the babgface is) in a feud for one title. And I say that as someone who thinks Sasha is easily one of the best female performers on the roster, and that Bayley is damn good as well. How this plays out is on Creative, not them. We'll see.

·
Registered
903 Posts
On one front, this could be about developing Asuka's character....meaning this will help her shed the goofy character we have been seeing and bring back the dangerous side we saw when she plowed through NXT and the Main Roster until she tapped to Charlotte as WM 34. Simultaneously, it adds another dimension to (the what we think is the) inevitable breakup and feud of Sasha and Bayley when (if) Bayley costs her the RAW title.

On another front, maybe they just din't have that kind of faith in Asuka at the top. We've known for years that Vince is behind the times and Bruce Prichard (his lackey during the good old days) is in charge of the shows now and will see things the way Vince does.

I am a big Sasha fan, but would have much rather seen her split with Bayley and have a good run with the Smackdown title. She has shown herself to be able to work with every female across all 3 brands over the last few months and would be great seeing her defend the title every week. That will not happen now as the RAW champ as she is still connected to the hip with Bayley.

·
Registered
257 Posts
@cai1981 I think the most likely scenario is that Vince and Bruce are grasping at straws to try to prop up falling ratings, and their default position is always to fall back on the 4HW, even at the risk of their massive oversaturation.

Truth be told, I think one of the great advantages of Asuka is that she's able to convey so much through tone and body-language (in and out of the ring), and that her limited English prevents her from being stuck with long, overscripted promos, where performers talk a lot, but say very little. I'd also be upset it they had her drop her more humourous character traits (which, IMO, give her more dimension and personality), but I'd certainly be down with her being more consistently aggressive going forward, as in her NXT days. Even as a babyface, she shouldn't be fighting-from-underneath so much. She's actually a very generous worker, and bumps like crazy to try to help the other women look good, which is honourable, but can be damaging when she allows, say, Charlotte to have more than 70% of the offense in a match (a lot of that's probably directives from the higher-ups, but still...). At any rate, in an ideal situation, she'd get the RAW belt back, be booked strong (eating few, if any, non-title pinfalls) for at least five or six months, have a bunch of bangers with most of the roster, then drop the title to cement a new young star (Bianca, perhaps).

I think Vince and Co. (possibly rightly) see Shayna Baszler as too one-dimensional, and as someone who would be horribly damaged by any clean (even roll-up) defeats in a weekly-TV format. So she's got a limited shelf-life, and may just be used as a one-off heavy on the main-roster (like King Kong Bundy was used back in the day with Hogan). And outside of a multi-woman format (triple-threat, fatal 4-way), I can't see her working with someone like Sasha much, which lends credence to the possibility that Sasha will be dropping the RAW title back to Asuka sooner rather than later. Because the story of the "two most dominant NXT Women's champions" pretty much writes itself.

I think Vince actually likes Asuka quite a bit, and much of that is down to her versatility, her work-rate/endurance, and particularly her deftness with comedy (it's a variety show, after all). He wouldn't give her so much screen-time if he didn't. But he can't get out of his own way in terms of trying to "protect" all of his "top" women, so everyone gets screwy, non-clean finishes, and nobody gets ahead for an extended period. Heck, even the two wins Charlotte got over Asuka recently (one via count-out) had outside-interference finishes.

Regardless, until they really get going with building up the Biancas, the Livs, the Rubys, and whatever NXT call-ups they have in the pipeline, Asuka's clearly the lead female babyface on RAW. The only question now is how vicious they can have her character become (in response to Sasha and Bayley) while still remaining a sympathetic babyface. She should really be done with fighting-from-underneath, though, except in 2-on-1 situations.

·
FOTC
10,750 Posts
Sasha's title win is great for a few reasons:

1. It makes fans forget how Asuka won the championship -- which was ridiculous

2. It hopefully makes Asuka have an attitude change instead of the goofiness she displays

3. Sasha can finally have a proper run with the title and cement herself as the face of the Women's division.

On a side note: Sasha is the type of talent that can get Rousey interested in coming back. Sasha mentioned Stephanie McMahon in her promo. It would be a great idea if Stephanie brought Rousey back to feud with Sasha.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Asuka won the title in a six-woman ladder match, which is far less ridiculous than winning a title by count-out, while being knocked out in the middle of the ring.

Until they list Sasha as an official RAW superstar, it's unlikely she'll carry the RAW belt for long. She should get a long run with the SD belt, though.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Won by a count-out? Lol starting her off real strong for a heel to win a title in a non-decisive fashion by count-out. At least she won the title in better fashion back in 2016. Can't wait to see if she will lose it by the next PPV (which seems to be her character's thing). I am a decent Sasha fan, but jeez a count-out? Why do they do those stupid stipulations? Just make the damn match no holds barred for fuck's sake.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts