Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serious question folks - Is Santino Marella on the path to a WWE Championship?

Here's my thought process:

Back in 2001-2003, the late, great Eddie Guerrero was going nowhere in the WWE. He was feuding over the now defunct European title, getting an occasional flirt with the IC Title but wrecking his chances with his drug related issues. Within a couple of years, the fans began to chant his name louder and louder ... 'Eddie! Eddie! Eddie!' was heard at every WWE event and he had a run with Chavo as the Tag Team Champions, Los Guerreros. And still the 'Eddie!' chants got louder. In the end, Eddie and Chavo split and the babyface Eddie ended up in a feud with the champion, Brock Lesnar. A shock win was followed by a WrestleMania moment at WMXX when he retained against Kurt Angle.

So, back to Santino ... anybody see the similarities? WWE jobber he was but now Tag Team Champion, arenas chanting 'San-ti-no!' every time he appears, a man on a major roll. Could we see a repeat of the Eddie Guerrero path to the top? Tag Titles with Vladimir Kozlov, a split in a few months that sees Kozlov go heel and Santino go face, Santino into the title hunt and a shock win of the big prize?

I'm not saying I want it to happen but I can see similarities. Thoughts?

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,747 Posts
don't really think Eddie was Santino-level jobber status though. i remember Eddie having MATCHES - Santino gets beat up for two minutes, then builds up, either hits the Cobra or is squashed.

he's been the same character for three of our years, and as long as he's that comedy character (which i don't think they'll ever change), he's not moving up the card. pity, because he's a good wrestler and a general good talent overall, but the current Santino Marella is not Championship material.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
Never. It's not the role he's meant to play, he's pure comedy. Besides, even if there was a chance of it happening one day, once he got that DUI, it was over for him.

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts
I don't think so. At least not under his current persona. At least I'd hope WWE wouldn't take that step.

Now if somehow they made him into a serious competitor then I don't think I'd have a problem with it.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
Santino Marella reached his peak when he became Miss WrestleMania in 2009 - and he'll never be taken seriously because of it. CM Punk said it best - he's the Jar Jar Binks of the WWE. He knows his role and he plays it well.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Yeah, he'd have to be given a tremendous character facelift. Like, he's still a lovable Italian and all, but he isn't a joke (as he was during Cena's promo against Nexus at the end of Raw). And as has already been said, he'd have to actually have matches. Competitive ones. Against at the very least prominent midcarders to get anywhere.

He's, what? 30? 31? As crazy as this may sound at first blush, he's still young enough to undergo dramatic changes to his persona down the road.

Thing is, I think WWE loves him as what he is too much to tinker with it. He's pretty darned over in that capacity. Could things change one day?

"Anything is possible in the WWE!"

--Matt Striker

"There is no spoon."

--Keanu Reeves The Matrix

Yeah, the latter quote doesn't have anything to do with this, but it can still apply to Santino Marella!

They should have Tamina break his heart by betraying him and setting up The Usos to take the Tag Team Championship, Santino should shave his head and become a badass, Kozlov turns on him and by Summerslam we're all talking about how he's on an unstoppable roll. Or not.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not as a comedy act maybe if they turned him more serious and he showed a real ability to have a match without doing stupid crap like the cobra and virtually everything else.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think there'd have to be an image change but it just occurred to me that there are similarities to Eddie's path. I don't think he is Championship material either but it is the WWE and they've done stranger things ...

·
Now THAT is a shared moment...
781 Posts
In the wide world of WWE anything is possible.

I've actually met Santino before, he came into the store I was working at a coupla years back. He's really a nice guy and was very cool about signing autographs and talking wrestling for a few minutes. Since then I've been a mark. I would love to see him used in a more serious capacity someday.

·
Premium Member
12,222 Posts
I personally find it insulting that you'd even compare Santino to a legend like Eddie Guerrero. And I don't say that because Eddie's dead, I say it because he Eddie is ten times the performer Santino is. Santino is the epitomy of why the WWE has fallen so low.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Big difference between Eddie and Santino.
Eddie is arguably one of the best technicians in the ring of all time.
Is Santino even considered as a good wrestler on the current roster? I don't think so.
Considering Santino as future WWE champion was bad enough.
Comparing him to Eddie is even worse.

·
Now THAT is a shared moment...
781 Posts
^^

Have either of you ACTUALLY seen Santino wrestle? I mean like really wrestle? Since his debut, he's been booked as a fan plucked from the crowd and after that as a joke. He has never really had a chance to show how good he actually is. That's a shame, because the guy can WORK.

Am I saying he's a Guerrero level talent? Hell no, but he's not nearly as bad as half the people think he is

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I personally find it insulting that you'd even compare Santino to a legend like Eddie Guerrero. And I don't say that because Eddie's dead, I say it because he Eddie is ten times the performer Santino is. Santino is the epitomy of why the WWE has fallen so low.
Is Santino even considered as a good wrestler on the current roster? I don't think so.
1. Much as I liked Eddie's gimmick around his title run, I found the guy boring 90% of the time he was in WWE. Just my opinion and maybe not in agreement with yours but I'm entitled to it. I seriously cannot remember seeing an Eddie Guerrero match before Los Guerreros that made me think 'Future WWE Champion.'

2. At no point have I compared Santino Marella to Eddie Guerrero in terms of their quality as a wrestler. I compared the path that Eddie got on in the run up to his first title reign and that of Santino right now. I'm not bigging Santino up, I've already said I don't think he should win the title, but I'm just suggesting that Santino is in a similar place now to Eddie back at the start of Los Guerreros.

3. I apologise for not being in agreement with you both - you clearly are the Almighty Know All's of Wrestling - and I apologise for insulting you by comparing the two. I'll hand myself into the police immediately. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I thought they were doing this 2 years ago. I would love to see Santino as a top guy because he has the mic skills and contrary to popular belief in this thread the guy can wrestle circles around half of the current roster.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Hell, in Vince's head - everything is possible!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I don't think so. He is one of my favorites too. Not everyone needs a World/WWE title run, using Santino to bring more attention to a down tag division could help a lot, but that's only if he and Kozloff can keep the belt for a couple months with some good feuds.

·
The legend never dies
4,408 Posts
anything is possible in wwe, the miz is champion, vince himself was a champion, i bet sooner or later he could be world champion.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Actually I think he is a good wrestler and above average on the current roster, is he as good as Eddie? Not a chance.

I think he is more comparable to Doink the Clown than Eddie tbh, both played the comedy role and were very over, could Doink ever have been WWE champ under the right circumstances?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts