Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That Santana interview with JR was awesome last night. So edgy, powerful, and personal. Santana really displays charisma, toughness, and comfort on the mic. And the personal story about his father was really moving and powerful. Oftentimes, the best, most powerful, and most relatable interviews are the ones that are the most personal, and this was one of them. This is also emblematic of AEW being less scripted and allowing wrestlers to delve into their personal lives and to develop their own unique personalities. This is one of the main things that I like about AEW, and it is the antithesis of the scripted and PG-rated WWE.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Amazing. Dude that's what I'm talking about!! That promo was so real sounding, so authentic...it made me care about Santana! It made me care about a random singles match with no stakes.

And now I think Santana has a future. So good

·
Registered
103 Posts
AEW is doing well recently with their interviews and the like (Santana / Darby / PAC). They are doing a good job of incorporating them into the show. Regarding Santana, there are a few youtube interviews with he and Ortiz and both come off as really likeable and the kind of guys you could chill out and have a beer with. Admission - big Proud and Powerful fan.

·
Salt of the Earth
16,255 Posts
Really good stuff.

JR interviews have done well for many talents (Foley, HHH and Kane to name a few) - would love them to do more sit down interviews to learn more about these guys.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Everyone talks about Scorpio Sky as a future singles guy but I think Santana is way more talented and marketable.

He is definitely the Booker T of that tag team.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It was an awesome and powerful interview, and it hit home with me considering I have a similar story regarding my grandfather. If LAX break up, this guy could have a future.

·
Registered
20,058 Posts
Eh same problem as the rest, the sob part. He's supposed to be a vile heel thug. Half the interview being about him coming from brokenness is just too sympathetic.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Eh same problem as the rest, the sob part. He's supposed to be a vile heel thug. Half the interview being about him coming from brokenness is just too sympathetic.
Makes him come off realistic though. Hes not just some bad guy who's a bad guy just because hes a heel. He has a legit normal background...with a sad story...but he is still aligned with jericho.

Bad guys dont think they're bad. He doesn't think rolling with Jericho is bad. Authentic stuff

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
He was explaining why he is so mad - how dared Mox try to blind him like his dad was

it's context for the story they're telling.

Spoiler, 90% of the stories in the world has some sadness - just prepare yourself

·
Registered
20,058 Posts
Makes him come off realistic though. Hes not just some bad guy who's a bad guy just because hes a heel. He has a legit normal background...with a sad story...but he is still aligned with jericho.

Bad guys dont think they're bad. He doesn't think rolling with Jericho is bad. Authentic stuff
While there's a point there for sure, not enough time was spent focused on him actually being the bad guy. It was him giving this long sappy backstory, then JR finally going "well hey maybe karma". Think it would've been better done if JR opened with him getting his karma for what they did to Moxley. Then Santana trying to divert to how he has a family to provide for and such.

·
Registered
20,058 Posts
He was explaining why he is so mad - how dared Mox try to blind him like his dad was

it's context for the story they're telling.

Spoiler, 90% of the stories in the world has some sadness - just prepare yourself
The heel shouldn't be trying to build sympathy for his tragic up bringing. The writing isn't good enough in wrestling to try to pull of the sympathetic villain.

And nah AEW is up there with Naruto in doing the "everybody's a tragic figure" ordeal. When everybody has a woe is me backstory then nobody's woe is me backstory stands out

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
The heel shouldn't be trying to build sympathy for his tragic up bringing. The writing isn't good enough in wrestling to try to pull of the sympathetic villain.

And nah AEW is up there with Naruto in doing the "everybody's a tragic figure" ordeal. When everybody has a woe is me backstory then nobody's woe is me backstory stands out
naruto was boss

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
For sure but by the time you get past Gaara you've heard so much sadness it starts to lose steam
Sammy isn’t sad. Jake isn‘t sad. Jericho isn’t sad.

Ortiz is crazy, can he even get sad?

Luchasaurus isn’t sad. Hangman isn’t sad.... he’s drunk.

Evil Uno isn’t sad. Grayson..... he might be sad

i hope, just to mess with you, they give them all sad stories :D

·
Registered
20,058 Posts
Sammy isn’t sad. Jake isn‘t sad. Jericho isn’t sad.

Ortiz is crazy, can he even get sad?

Luchasaurus isn’t sad. Hangman isn’t sad.... he’s drunk.

Evil Uno isn’t sad. Grayson..... he might be sad

i hope, just to mess with you, they give them all sad stories :D
Oh they'll find some sadness

Sammy will get picked on because he was small

Evil Uno was fat shamed

Grayson didn't make the football team

Something like that lol

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I thought before Santana was good. That interview was excellent and I think he has a bright future.

Santana, Sammy G, Darby, MJF and Hangman all have great upside. Jungle Boy too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts