Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always been kinda back and forth about Sandow. He's really talented in the ring when allowed to actually show his craft, but his characters never really drew much interest from me until he returned with his intellectual savior gimmick. Then when he teamed with Cody for Rhodes Scholars, he kinda faded behind Cody's five O'clock shadow(bad pun is bad but couldn't resist), until he won MITB, but then quickly sank again just so Cena wouldn't be the only one to lose a MITB cash in.

Then he started the new gimmick every week thing which I first thought was kinda dumb, but started getting behind it because it was so ridiculous it was funny. And since then I have enjoyed seeing him perform as I am a big fan of comedy, whether it's wrestling or other entertainment. But now that his chapter with the Miz is coming to an end, I find myself wondering what would be next for him.

What kind of character will he be given? What kind of gimmick? He's great on the mic as a heel, but how will he be as a face? Will the fans stay behind him after his feud with the Miz is done? I think if he goes back to his "Superior Savior", kinda arrogant attitude but make it work as a face, much like Dolph and Jericho have done, he could be a main event contender in the future, but that all depends on the writers and how Vince wishes to use him.

What do yall think? Will he succeed or fail after he's done with the Miz?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
What he is doing now is real bottom of the ladder work. It's going to be a hard task to come out of the Miz thing with any momentum to clime the ladder again.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See that's what I am kinda thinking. Where he's at right now he is doing some really good work, but where can he go from here without losing momentum and falling back into the same rut he was in?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sad because he's a pretty talented guy who got pigeon-holed to the bottom of the roster.

·
Kerser is the sickest.
1,506 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again what they did with specifically (but others as well) him and Barrett is criminal. It's why I refuse to watch WWE TV anymore because just as something looks like it's going to be great they bend it over, fuck it then slap a comedy gimmick on it.

Right now, the way I honestly view RAW is it's a shit episode of Saturday Night Live with Vince as the host. Just parodying everything about the business.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Who knows. Vince Mcmahon loves some comedy sports entertainment. He has a few years worth of work as a comedy jobber with guaranteed tv time. A job is a job. Better to be employed in the top company than scraping by in the indies I suppose.

I really liked his original intellectual savior character, but that raw reunion episode where he took all of dx's finishers was the end of that. I actually cringed when I heard his entrance music interrupting dx's reunion. I knew he was gonna be buried hard.

·
Banned
822 Posts
He's on raw and Smackdown every week, in a long running storyline.... I'd say he's doing better than most of the roster.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Damien Sandow.... ACTION STAR.

I dunno, this'd probably bury him worse than before he was with the Miz, but I'd get a total kick out of him branching off into a similar hollywood gimmick, but him kayfabe getting better roles than Miz. Maybe even put him in fake movie trailers and film shorts for YouTube or something. Next time The Rock appears on WWE TV, pull him aside for a bit and have him film some ridiculous trailer with Sandow.

Gimmick wouldn't get him to the main event, but he'd be appreciated in the mid-card.

I'd also like to see Miz get a manager or a "director" and his own team of paparazzi to harass Sandow lol. I dunno, pulling out the stupidest ideas I find funny out my ass here :p

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damien Sandow.... ACTION STAR.

I dunno, this'd probably bury him worse than before he was with the Miz, but I'd get a total kick out of him branching off into a similar hollywood gimmick, but him kayfabe getting better roles than Miz. Maybe even put him in fake movie trailers and film shorts for YouTube or something. Next time The Rock appears on WWE TV, pull him aside for a bit and have him film some ridiculous trailer with Sandow.

Gimmick wouldn't get him to the main event, but he'd be appreciated in the mid-card.

I'd also like to see Miz get a manager or a "director" and his own team of paparazzi to harass Sandow lol. I dunno, pulling out the stupidest ideas I find funny out my ass here :p
Call me silly, but I actually like that idea! lol. :D I remember when being part of the midcard was nothing to be ashamed of. A lot of consistent midcarders are in the HOF, like Ricky Steamboat, Roddy Piper, Rakishi, etc. Yeah some of them had stints where they were in the main event, but never really main eventers themselves and they were all great. They put a lot of butts in the seats. WWE has the talent to bring it all back if they use it right. But that's a big IF.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
One thing about Sandow is he has the ability to take a crap gimmick and make it gold, wish the WWE would take notice of this.

·
It me.
13,505 Posts
He could be a staple of the midcard for the next half-decade. He's got good mic skills, but he has neither the look nor the ring skills to reach that upper echelon. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Call me silly, but I actually like that idea! lol. :D I remember when being part of the midcard was nothing to be ashamed of. A lot of consistent midcarders are in the HOF, like Ricky Steamboat, Roddy Piper, Rakishi, etc. Yeah some of them had stints where they were in the main event, but never really main eventers themselves and they were all great. They put a lot of butts in the seats. WWE has the talent to bring it all back if they use it right. But that's a big IF.
Lets not forget Ricky won the NWA World Championship belt in 1989, i love Mizdow but he's got a long way to go to be compared to Steamboat and Piper.

·
Ho!
18,877 Posts
The guy can be a main eventer if they want him to be. He has the in ring ability and the speaking ability to be a top heel in the business. He can also be a comedy jobber and make it work because he's so brilliant at playing characters, especially in a comedic way, that he makes it work. While he certainly deserves to be a top guy and is a top 5 talent on the roster, he's also probably the only guy on the roster who can play a comedy character well.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah sorry bud, but Steamboat and Piper aren't midcarders. They've main evented many shows that you may not have seen and drew shitloads of people.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah sorry bud, but Steamboat and Piper aren't midcarders. They've main evented many shows that you may not have seen and drew shitloads of people.
I have seen all their stuff, from Steamboats NWA days onward. And I loved both him and Piper. But in WWF/E, they were not main eventers. Macho man, Hogan, Andre, Warrior, etc. were the main eventers. Like you said, which I also said, yes they did draw people and had a huge fan base. And yes they were in their fair share of main events, but weren't straight up main eventers. They were upper midcard. That is what they were. Which adds to my point that back then, the midcard was nothing to sneeze at like it is today.

Hell, Bret Hart and British Bulldog were still midcard when they Main Evented Summerslam for the IC title. Miz was in the ME at Mania, but do you consider him a main eventer?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
He's uh, pretty fucked once the Mizdow thing is over, he's kinda done everything possible and gotten himself over pretty damn well to be fully honest, certainly better than anyone as low down the card as he is.
But he's over because of the story and ridiculous nature of his gimmick, once those are gone he'll have a few good months where he'll ride his (?)victory over the Miz, then he'll die out again once the WWE's wishy washy booking makes it to him.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have seen all their stuff, from Steamboats NWA days onward. And I loved both him and Piper. But in WWF/E, they were not main eventers. Macho man, Hogan, Andre, Warrior, etc. were the main eventers. Like you said, which I also said, yes they did draw people and had a huge fan base. And yes they were in their fair share of main events, but weren't straight up main eventers. They were upper midcard. That is what they were. Which adds to my point that back then, the midcard was nothing to sneeze at like it is today.

Hell, Bret Hart and British Bulldog were still midcard when they Main Evented Summerslam for the IC title. Miz was in the ME at Mania, but do you consider him a main eventer?

Steamboat and Piper have been is plenty of main events where ever they went. We're not talking minor leagues even if its not the wwf. A main eventer is a guy who's been over wherever he went and sold out whenever he wrestled.

If you want to argue that they weren't main eventer in the wwf, then what about WM 1 for Piper? He had the most heat, which lead to that match vs Hogan. I'm sure Steamboat main evented alot of shows back then as well even if it wasn't WM, he had that intense feud versus Muraco.

Drawing power makes you a main eventer, any promoters back in the days would know this and they'd pay them alot of money just to keep them.

You know as well as me that Vince raided all the top talents all over the US to built the WWF, which were main eventer from other promotions. Alot of these guys got their fair share of main events in the wwf. Honky Tonk managed to sell out alot when he was IC champ, its just because he was wrestling Savage, he would sometimes sell out going against Beefcake and other guys. The wwf would run an insane amount of shows every year, many guys got over. House shows don't mean much now, but they sure did back then.

I would never call Piper and Steamboat upper mid card especially when they were over everywhere they went. For me, mid carder do jobs on occasion and these two never jobbed as far as I know when they were in their prime.

We'll have to agree to disagree on how you and I view who's a main eventer and who's considered mid card.

Anyways, I got carried away and lost track of the Sandow related thread, my bad.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.