Wrestling Forum banner

Samoa Joe's sidekick Kato?

4473 Views 32 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  GI_Josh
Ok why in the hell does Joe have this green hornet Kato rip off walking around with him? So he's supposed to be the guy that was filming Pope, ok that's fine but why the hell was Joe so emotionally hurt and pissed off when Pope had him tied up and tortured him? what is he Joe's lover? I don't get it. Also it seems kinda stupid to have a guy like Joe who is a very serious guy to have a stupid spoof of a tv show character walking around with him.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
Yeah, I don't get this whole thing either. Hell, I don't even know when he started following Joe around. It's like, one week I was watching Impact and he was randomly there! Maybe this is the guy behind the whole kidnap/rape of Joe last year, and Joe just bonded with him???

· Registered
209 Posts
It's pretty stupid IMO. No rhyme or reason to it at all other than I guess Joe or someone saw it in the movie and thought it would be cool to copy.

A Double: I think that's a good idea...They could use this guy to exlplain the kidnapping that was never mentioned again. At least to throw something out there. To start a story like that and totally drop it is unacceptable.

· Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,891 Posts
I've made my peace with the Ninja kidnapping angle. I have accepted the maxim that anything that happened more than 3 months ago didn't really happen. I have also accepted the fact that any attempted explanation of the kidnapping angle would be just as bad if not worse than the original kidnapping.

On the other hand, a Youtube shooter said something that really bothered me. Samoa Joe is a natural monster heel and The Pope is a natural babyface. Samoa Joe has the heel look, style and trapping of a sidekick and The Pope has a babyface look, style and trappings of catchphrases and audience pandering. And yet Joe is the face and Pope is the heel. Apart from the poor material this feud stinks because its so against the grain.

· Registered
4,026 Posts
the whole storyline is a waste of time, like i said in other threads, joe and pope could be doing way better things right now, instead? they're stuck with this pointless feud...

even okato could have a better debut rather than appearing out of nowhere...

"THAT'S KATO ISN'T HE??"

i swear to god i wanted to punch taz after saying that...

· Registered
9 Posts
This storyline is the worst at this moment. I have no desire to see the Pope on TV at the moment unless he drops or tones down his gimmick and just concentrates on wrestling. The same goes for Joe.
The annoying thing about this Joe babyface storyline is that they can't suddenly change him and make him join Immortal because it would look weird.

· Registered
598 Posts
the guy first showd as the guy who filmed pope privetcy few months ago! and slowely become a side kick !
on the note that it doesn't make sense , can u tell me how hitting ur boss almost everyweek and still have a job make any sense at all !? yeah i'm talking about u attitud lovers and austin vs mcmahon!
it's Wrestling , everything doesn't have to make sense

· Registered
4,669 Posts
I don't see how this storyline doesn't make sense. Joe hired a guy to help him expose Pope as a fraud. They became friends. Pope doesn't like them. The end.

I mean is there supposed to be an origin story of how how they met and weeks of segments with Joe and Okato slowly developing their friendship while chatting over coffee?

· Registered
4,026 Posts
I don't see how this storyline doesn't make sense. Joe hired a guy to help him expose Pope as a fraud. They became friends. Pope doesn't like them. The end.

I mean is there supposed to be an origin story of how how they met and weeks of segments with Joe and Okato slowly developing their friendship while chatting over coffee?
excactly... you could at least had joe bump into kato and ask him for help on something... then the following weeks they could have started the whole "cameraman" thing...

wanna know why it doesn't make sense? let me give you an example:

imagine you're watching star wars, imagine luke went on his own to han solo and both had the adventure on their own, imagine they are in the death star, darth vader is in some place where all of a sudden an old man that had no interaction with luke and han appears, he starts fighting darth vader

again, imagine all this is happening with neither the audience nor the characters have ever seen or heard of the old man, this is basically his first apperance in the film

then han solo says: hey isn't that obi wan kenobi?

and luke says: yes it is!

see my point?

· Registered
4,669 Posts
excactly... you could at least had joe bump into kato and ask him for help on something... then the following weeks they could have started the whole "cameraman" thing...

wanna know why it doesn't make sense? let me give you an example:

imagine you're watching star wars, imagine luke went on his own to han solo and both had the adventure on their own, imagine they are in the death star, darth vader is in some place where all of a sudden an old man that had no interaction with luke and han appears, he starts fighting darth vader

again, imagine all this is happening with neither the audience nor the characters have ever seen or heard of the old man, this is basically his first apperance in the film

then han solo says: hey isn't that obi wan kenobi?

and luke says: yes it is!

see my point?
Hey bro, I listen to that podcast too.

Unfortunately we're talking about a weekly pro wrestling show and not a feature length Hollywood film. TNA has enough filler backstage segments as it is. Besides, the angle was built on the mystery of who was behind Pope being stalked. It would be rather strange to reveal Joe being involved in shady dealings right from the beginning.

You might have a point if Okada was an entirely new wrestler and he just debuted out of nowhere in this angle, but he's been on the roster for like a year.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
The storyline makes sense, but Kato's gimmick is poor. If they gave him the gimmick because of the Green Hornet that's just week. I mean the film isn't even that good to start off with.

Wouldn't it have been better just to have Kato in the style of Tajiri/Steve Blackman or like a badass Bruce Lee type of character.

· Registered
4,026 Posts
Hey bro, I listen to that podcast too.

Unfortunately we're talking about a weekly pro wrestling show and not a feature length Hollywood film. TNA has enough filler backstage segments as it is. Besides, the angle was built on the mystery of who was behind Pope being stalked. It would be rather strange to reveal Joe being involved in shady dealings right from the beginning.

You might have a point if Okada was an entirely new wrestler and he just debuted out of nowhere in this angle, but he's been on the roster for like a year.
it's a basic example, introducing characters as if they were known already doesn't work, taz saying "that's kato isn't he?" did nothing to establish who he is because me as a viewer never seen him before

plus... you could have had a brief backstage segment with joe talking with someone on the phone... go like... "hey i'm having some suspicion on this dude, help me" and that's it...

granted... the idea of this feud was good and interesting, but the excecution has been awful, they could have had pope playing innocent until the footage was revealed (wich btw was never shown), instead? he makes fun of samoa joe, makes fat jokes and then he wonders why joe wants to kick his ass more than ever...

and also going blatantly perfoming the shit that made joe be suspicious of him didn't help either...

i know kato has been on TNA for a while, problem is that the majority of his time in TNA was during Xplosion, and keep in mind i have no idea where to check it so there was no way for people like me to learn about kato

right now the feud is going nowhere... joe and pope are going back and forth with no real visible resolve to come... both guys are talented and kato has potential... all 3 guys are being misused

· Registered
820 Posts
Completely fucking retarded. I can't believe people are defending TNA on this one. They're pairing up Samoa Joe, one of the best wrestlers today, with a fucking ripoff of Kato, that asian guy from the Green Hornet. Really? This fued blows and makes no sense in the first place. I can't believe TNA could possibly fuck this up more.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.