Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How on Earth was this guy a big deal in the Indies and on NXT? He's severely overweight and looks like a fat turd. Mic skills are awful and with his voice, he sounds like a 15 year old guy going through puberty. Wrestling skills are nothing special and he's not over, the crowd doesn't seem care at all, you can't blame them. This guy completely sucks and has no business being in the main event. What is the appeal of Samoa Joe?

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
Something we (almost) agree on

Towelie hasn't impressed me since X-Division TNA & his matches with Angle really, people putting him in the same breath as others to face Lesnar makes me laugh :shrug

They brought him in as an authority lackey then did nothing with him then he loses to Seth & we're supposed to treat him as some destroyer :lol

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Austin always wanted WWE to hire him so give him a second chance, you only WWE wrestling viewers judge so fucking fast, I remember when shit like Rollins was in a pedestal here because corporate main event heel booking and acrobatics, with those two elements you are a darling on this place.

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
Austin always wanted WWE to hire him so give him a second chance, you only WWE wrestling viewers judge so fucking fast, I remember when shit like Rollins was in a pedestal here because corporate main event heel booking and acrobatics, with those two elements you are a darling on this place.
What's that got to do with anything? Wait..

So what you're saying is that's the bottom line cause Stone Cold said so?

·
Premium Member
44,377 Posts
He's just not the Joe of old. I've been watching the guy for over a decade and the 2017 Joe isn't the Joe of 2005/2006. He's slower and not as crisp, and therefore, not as impressive.

I keep making the comparison to RVD. Look at RVD in the late 90s to mid 2000s. He looks incredible! Crisp, exciting, fast, and he was just a one man spectacle. The RVD that came back for nostalgia runs in the WWE? Yeeeeeah. OK he can still do things like the Rolling Thunder, but he's doing it at half speed. Joe can still technically do most of his old stuff, but he's doing it at a much slower pace and it doesn't have the same energy and explosiveness that he used to, so right now, Joe looks like a lesser version of himself.

I understand that as you get older, the body breaks down, but there is a way to get around that. At this stage of his career, does Matt Hardy believably convey the classic Hardy Boyz gimmick? Not really, but that's why Broken Matt was such a perfect change for him. He can't be the hip, young, fast guy daredevil anymore, so he went against it completely became one of the best wrestling characters in years. Before Broken Matt, I was like "Really, Matt Hardy is world champ in 2016?". After Broken Matt came along, I was like "YES! DO IT TNA! PUT THE BELT ON HIM!".

Look at the guy that might be my favorite wrestler on the planet, AJ Styles. He's slowed down a bit from what he was doing when I first saw him. Nobody seems to notice or care, but eagle eyed, long time viewers of his career can see that AJ has changed up his moveset to keep the high flying elements, but utilize high impact striking and a more deliberate pace as well. That way he doesn't have to spend all his matches flying around like Kalisto. I doubt you'll see AJ do the Shooting Styles or that kick off the chest backflip out of the corner that he used to do, but his character has evolved to a point where he doesn't have to do those things and no one expects him too because the 2017 AJ is what he's evolved into and what the fans have embraced.

Right now though, Joe is just a lesser version of his old self. He looks slower doing his own stuff and he hasn't evolved in a way to compensate for it.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
He's just not the Joe of old. I've been watching the guy for over a decade and the 2017 Joe isn't the Joe of 2005/2006. He's slower and not as crisp, and therefore, not as impressive.

I keep making the comparison to RVD. Look at RVD in the late 90s to mid 2000s. He looks incredible! Crisp, exciting, fast, and he was just a one man spectacle. The RVD that came back for nostalgia runs in the WWE? Yeeeeeah. OK he can still do things like the Rolling Thunder, but he's doing it at half speed. Joe can still technically do most of his old stuff, but he's doing it at a much slower pace and it doesn't have the same energy and explosiveness that he used to, so right now, Joe looks like a lesser version of himself.

I understand that as you get older, the body breaks down, but there is a way to get around that. At this stage of his career, does Matt Hardy believably convey the classic Hardy Boyz gimmick? Not really, but that's why Broken Matt was such a perfect change for him. He can't be the hip, young, fast guy daredevil anymore, so he went against it completely became one of the best wrestling characters in years. Before Broken Matt, I was like "Really, Matt Hardy is world champ in 2016?". After Broken Matt came along, I was like "YES! DO IT TNA! PUT THE BELT ON HIM!".

Look at the guy that might be my favorite wrestler on the planet, AJ Styles. He's slowed down a bit from what he was doing when I first saw him. Nobody seems to notice or care, but eagle eyed, long time viewers of his career can see that AJ has changed up his moveset to keep the high flying elements, but utilize high impact striking and a more deliberate pace as well. That way he doesn't have to spend all his matches flying around like Kalisto. I doubt you'll see AJ do the Shooting Styles or that kick off the chest backflip out of the corner that he used to do, but his character has evolved to a point where he doesn't have to do those things and no one expects him too because the 2017 AJ is what he's evolved into and what the fans have embraced.

Right now though, Joe is just a lesser version of his old self. He looks slower doing his own stuff and he hasn't evolved in a way to compensate for it.
This is perfectly said.

·
Let's talk about six, baby.
8,444 Posts
He's past his prime and being brought in as another authority lackey was the kiss of death regardless.

Reactions: MOXL3Y

·
Registered
185 Posts
Joe's a solid upper midcard talent - he's no worse than anyone else in his spot. He's past his prime though so his best days are behind him.

·
NO SPIN ZONE
659 Posts
I think he can still be "The Destroyer" they want him to be... if the booking doesn't continue to hold him back.

Granted I didn't follow him in TNA or NXT - but he still has a move-set that I feel is somewhat unique/enjoy watching. (Reminds me of Nak in this "unique" regard..)

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,631 Posts
What else did you expect he has lost every feud, wasn't at wrestlemainia, he rarely wins matches. He was booked like a badass in the ring and performed like one two. His weight doesn't matter since kobashi was still having very good matches while over weight , misawa as well.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts