Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm tired of hearing about cupcakes like Kenny Omega, AJ Styles or stale, overrated, boring Japanese wrestlers from NJPW who fans are so quick to label as the best just because they wrestle and are great at the strong style bs.

Sami Callihan right now is the best thing in wrestling and actually has been for quite some time now and it's about time he starts getting the respect that he deserves from fans.

Storytelling and believablitiy - He's such a good promo with his menacing voice combined with his over the top look. This is a guy who is out to play the heel and isn't someone who wants you to cheer him.

You will never see a Callihan match and feel like there is no legit hatred between him and his combatant. Sami is so damn good at playing the heel and storytelling in the ring. He's simply one of the best at making himself come off as a dangerous, unhinged psycho who will do anything to win and there is no limit to how far he is willing to go. Part of this is what makes Lesnar great because when he's in a match you get the sense that he really is out of control ( partly because he is).

In ring ability - He has had countless highly rated matches with women and men for the past few years that have been unnoticed because he is on Impact. There might not be a more consistent performer then him right now. Ask yourself, when is the last time this guy didn't deliver an awesome match? He's versatile and can work with any wrestler on the roster whether they be big or small, large or fat, and of course women or man. There's nobody on any roster he can't work well with.

The only thing this man lacks in my opinion is size. Personally I think it fits his character to be on the shorter end and it's not like he's a midget. His offense comes off very believable which is what matters most.

Best heel in the business and it's not even close. A true throwback to the oldschool heels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm tired of hearing about cupcakes like Kenny Omega, AJ Styles or stale, overrated, boring Japanese wrestlers from NJPW who fans are so quick to label as the best just because they wrestle and are great at the strong style bs.

Sami Callihan right now is the best thing in wrestling and actually has been for quite some time now and it's about time he starts getting the respect that he deserves from fans.

Storytelling and believablitiy - He's such a good promo with his menacing voice combined with his over the top look. This is a guy who is out to play the heel and isn't someone who wants you to cheer him.

You will never see a Callihan match and feel like there is no legit hatred between him and his combatant. Sami is so damn good at playing the heel and storytelling in the ring. He's simply one of the best at making himself come off as a dangerous, unhinged psycho who will do anything to win and there is no limit to how far he is willing to go. Part of this is what makes Lesnar great because when he's in a match you get the sense that he really is out of control ( partly because he is).

In ring ability - He has had countless highly rated matches with women and men for the past few years that have been unnoticed because he is on Impact. There might not be a more consistent performer then him right now. Ask yourself, when is the last time this guy didn't deliver an awesome match? He's versatile and can work with any wrestler on the roster whether they be big or small, large or fat, and of course women or man. There's nobody on any roster he can't work well with.

The only thing this man lacks in my opinion is size. Personally I think it fits his character to be on the shorter end and it's not like he's a midget. His offense comes off very believable which is what matters most.

Best heel in the business and it's not even close. A true throwback to the oldschool heels.
yea totally agree with you we are in the age of sami !

·
Registered
155 Posts
In terms of wrestling personality then yes. He can sell a damn match. His mic skills alone get you excited for whatever feud he is in. Then he usually delivers in the match.

·
rasslin
2,609 Posts
He can't even hit someone with a baseball bat properly.

If hes the best overall wrestler today, then its no wonder why the sport is completely dying off.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Character and promo wise definitely a strong argument there, in ring not as much, to really be in the running for best overall I feel someone would have to be the full package. That's not to say Callihan doesn't deliver in his matches but definitely room for improvement and match quality depends on opponent as well.

Now I'm not the kind of person who automatically things working hardcore makes you a worse wrestler or is a crutch for being bad in ring, hell I'm not even going to say that for everyone labeled as a "deathmatch guy" can't work since there are a lot of deathmatch guys who have very solid understandings of in ring work. I'd file Callihan as one of the ones who doesn't have to rely on hardcore spots but he definitely could improve his storytelling in the ring, he's not bad at it but there are often times he forgets to sell things in a match, this might be more of a nitpick but just a thought I wanted to add in.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Sami is good at what he does but he will never have a main stream appeal so it really does not matter. That aside I hope he has a decent length of a championship run. Hes really fitting right now for that with the direction

·
GG, muah! & No re, bang!
64 Posts
I entirely disagree. He does nothing for me.

I tried giving him a chance in LU and completely lost interest in anything he does within weeks.

LOL THUMBS UP THUMBS DOWN THUMBS UP THUMBS DOWN LOL

·
Registered
485 Posts
As a wrestler, he's a solid hand. His mic skills and create a character is top draw.

Fully deserves the belt, arguably THE cornerstone along with Tessa & Eddie to the company.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I do like Sami Callihan and loved his match at Bound for Glory (The only Impact show I've watched in full in years!). He does have all of the assets that you say and looks like he will genuinely want to fuck you up. Could he be a hotter thing if he wrestled for the likes of NJPW or AEW? Probably.

The problem he has is the same as the likes of Jimmy Havoc and previously Mick Foley. Being a hardcore wrestler pigeon holes you when it comes to big matches. Jimmy said himself that everyone expects hardcore from you whenever you step in the ring. For me, this is my impression of Sami.

He has come a long way since NXT, but he is nowhere near the same league as Omega, Styles or Okada. Give him a few years and maybe he can improve to that level.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts