Wrestling Forum banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
FYI,Tensai sandbagged Ryback's upward momentum.A week later on smackdown,they had a rematch where Ryback hoisted Tensai pretty effortlessly iirc and did the marching before giving him a shellshock.I knew when I saw it for the first time that Tensai was sandbagging and was proved right later on.Tensai seemingly got punished for his unprofessional attitude soon after,where he was booked to lose numerous forgettable matches with him venting his frustrations on his sidekick,Sakamoto,at the end via an old fashioned beatdown and dropped the Tensai gimmick altogether to reform as SweetT.

Ryback has shellshocked Mark Henry and Big Show,too.Navigate to youtube and enter search query.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
So we agree, he has no good matches, whereas Ryback has had good matches with Cena, Bryan, Sheamus, Jericho, Jimmy Uso, and has been good in tag matches.
Goldberg has had a ton of solid matches and some under the amazing label, those being vs Jericho at Bad Blood 04, DDP Halloween Havoc and he's practically MVP for the 2nd EChamber from a list of HBK, Jericho, Orton, Nash and Triple H who are better in-ring workers than him. Goldberg is a more than capable wrestler, as is Ryback but the latter hasn't had the matches or performances on par with the above three. Until then, I think it's unanimous who is better in the ring out of the two.

·
Banned
8,180 Posts
This forums is a fucking mess..Some Weeks ago there was a thread about Goldberg return and half of the answers where about he always sucked and was always over only beacuse of WCW booking(because like i said in WWE he was shit,still i like him)AND NOW WE HAVE 11 PAGES WITH HIS FANS :ti FUCK ME. THIS FORUM MAKES ME SICK
Exactly what I wanted to point out. Some of the exact same people too.

DDP at HH is Goldberg's best match and it exceedingly average by the standard of a PPV main event. Ryback had a match with Sheamus that was ten minutes shorter and yet was much more exciting and action-packed.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
DDP at HH is Goldberg's best match and it exceedingly average by the standard of a PPV main event. Ryback had a match with Sheamus that was ten minutes shorter and yet was much more exciting and action-packed.
That match which was good, is still not on par with DDP/Berg HH. The majority would agree with me on so and on a non favoritism basis.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Other than maybe mic work, there is literally NOTHING Ryback is better at than Goldberg, and to suggest otherwise you must be simply delusional, a Ryback mark, a Goldberg hater, or a mixture of all three.

Goldberg was more powerful, more intense, more charismatic, had a far more natural aura about him and was more believable for that, a better look, a more impactful move-set, a better signature and finisher and even a better theme and entrance.

·
Banned
2,199 Posts
Other than maybe mic work, there is literally NOTHING Ryback is better at than Goldberg, and to suggest otherwise you must be simply delusional, a Ryback mark, a Goldberg hater, or a mixture of all three.

Goldberg was more powerful, more intense, more charismatic, had a far more natural aura about him and was more believable for that, a better look, a more impactful move-set, a better signature and finisher and even a better theme and entrance.
Everything u said maybe( I think Ryback isnt done yet and in some years or months maybe they will push him,so we will see how will he do in the ME scene compared to 2012)is true,except the theme Meat On The Table is fucking awsome,its a 10/10 for me .

·
Banned
8,180 Posts
That match which was good, is still not on par with DDP/Berg HH. The majority would agree with me on so and on a non favoritism basis.
DDP/Berg is really nothing special. I don't even want to go through the effort of running it down, that's how boring it is. Up until the last 2 or 3 minutes. The match was literally them tub long around in and outside of the ring until they exchanged finishers at the end and Goldberg one with the arm injury that, imo, happened too late into the match for any sort of the real suspense/drama they were going for.

At the end of the day, it's his best match. Which is pathetic on it's own. But moreso when compared to the PPV matches Ryback had with John Cena. And even though he and CM Punk don't really have chemistry (none of their PPV matches have been better than decent to me), they had a really good match on Raw, iirc. I mean, either way you slice it, Ryback's body of work is more impressive and he hasn't been around as long.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
DDP/Berg is really nothing special. I don't even want to go through the effort of running it down, that's how boring it is. Up until the last 2 or 3 minutes. The match was literally them tub long around in and outside of the ring until they exchanged finishers at the end and Goldberg one with the arm injury that, imo, happened too late into the match for any sort of the real suspense/drama they were going for.

At the end of the day, it's his best match. Which is pathetic on it's own. But moreso when compared to the PPV matches Ryback had with John Cena. And even though he and CM Punk don't really have chemistry (none of their PPV matches have been better than decent to me), they had a really good match on Raw, iirc. I mean, either way you slice it, Ryback's body of work is more impressive and he hasn't been around as long.
Cena/Ryback matches are all mediocre, an explanation is needed for such unworthy praises. Goldberg and as does Ryback need quality opponents to produce good matches. If you look at Goldberg's match listings all thru his WCW run (not to mention, most were booked as 5 minute affairs), you would know he rarely had a worker of quality to cooperate with and in an period of "wrestling" where the pure form of it was second to all. Goldberg's matches with Henry (whilst he was green as grass and unsound in the ring) and Jericho rule the world whilst Ryback/Henry WM29 & Jericho MITB 2013 kinda suck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:sansa :ti:haha Ryback and Goldber look comparison,when Eric Bischoff wanted to capitalize from look of Austin with shaving goldberg. If anything Ryback is Austin without a beard.Who was pretty unbeatable too(Sure he would lose every now and then, but that's only because unlike goldberg he was a draw, and was involved in importand angles, and wasn't just squashing jobbers. Plus Goldberg was only a draw in company which was losing in ratings/ lost.
Besides why the comparison in the first place? They are both bald and muscular. Both had winning streaks, but so did Ultimate Warrior, Andre The Giant, Hulk Hogan and Bruno Sammartino before them. Baby Faces loose very rarely anyway.:cena3:bryan:sheamus

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
FYI,Tensai sandbagged Ryback's upward momentum.A week later on smackdown,they had a rematch where Ryback hoisted Tensai pretty effortlessly iirc and did the marching before giving him a shellshock.I knew when I saw it for the first time that Tensai was sandbagging and was proved right later on.Tensai seemingly got punished for his unprofessional attitude soon after,where he was booked to lose numerous forgettable matches with him venting his frustrations on his sidekick,Sakamoto,at the end via an old fashioned beatdown and dropped the Tensai gimmick altogether to reform as SweetT.

Ryback has shellshocked Mark Henry and Big Show,too.Navigate to youtube and enter search query.
Even if that was the case, Ryback has the support of both his shoulders when using Shellshock. What Goldberg accomplished here was a bigger feat of strength IMO. I'm not saying Ryback can't top that either, I'm just saying he hasn't proven he can yet.

·
Banned
7,451 Posts
OP put the crack pipe down.

Ryback is not in the league of Goldberg.

That's not saying Ryback is terrible though.

I honestly think Ryback should have been made into a kayfabe gay Superstar.

this scene to me came off more homoerotic to me than fearful

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ryback is way better than goldberg ever was in the ring, but thats not what he was known for anyway so it's unfair to judge.

Goldberg wasn't fantastic on the mic, he just had this aura about him. which Ryback kind of had, but lost as a result of his booking.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
but that's only because unlike goldberg he was a draw, and was involved in importand angles, and wasn't just squashing jobbers. Plus Goldberg was only a draw in company which was losing in ratings
Thats pretty unfair. Goldberg was one of the star attractions in WCW in 1998 when the company was still huge and Nitro was winning its fair share of head to heads with Raw. The Nitro where Goldberg won the title beat Raw in the ratings and drew a crowd of around 40'000. Goldberg might not have had the longevity Austin had (especially once the streak was broken) but for a while he was almost as big a deal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thats pretty unfair. Goldberg was one of the star attractions in WCW in 1998 when the company was still huge and Nitro was winning its fair share of head to heads with Raw. The Nitro where Goldberg won the title beat Raw in the ratings and drew a crowd of around 40'000. Goldberg might not have had the longevity Austin had (especially once the streak was broken) but for a while he was almost as big a deal.
For a while, maybe. But who outside IWC remembers him him today? Sure Ryback used to receive goldber chant's, but that's only couple thousands people out of bilions on earth or couple of milion of overal wrestling fans.

Also Ryback' hater's google Ryback in india. I can't post links yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Besides I realy doubt all these people went to see only goldberg. Major wrestling promotions prety much always sold out arenas, where the event tales place. It was so during Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, The Rock and is under Cena today and I'm sure will be under Bryan tommorow.
Prety much any wrestler is changable.Alfred Hitchcock said that actors should be treated like cattle(by movie directors). Same with wrestler's, they should be treated like cattle by booker's. Same with police and doctor's, actualy (they should be treated like cattle by their bosses). That's just life.

·
Registered
361 Posts
For a while, maybe. But who outside IWC remembers him him today? Sure Ryback used to receive goldber chant's, but that's only couple thousands people out of bilions on earth or couple of milion of overal wrestling fans.

Also Ryback' hater's google Ryback in india. I can't post links yet.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

That aura came from booking though, if Goldberg wasn't booked as unbeatable then he wouldn't have been nearly as popular. If WCW had gave Goldberg the same booking that Ryback has gotten, he'd be a nobody. It's easy to have an "aura" when you're booked to got over everybody in 5 minutes with only two or three moves.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ryback got upper-tier level reactions in an era where the business has been on a steady decline since the mid 00's and crowds don't tend to react too strongly to anything and are notably smarky. When I say upper-tier, I mean there's been like five guys in the past few years who've got mega reactions as a face - Jeff in 08/09, Orton in like 2011/12, Punk's face turn around MiTB, Ryback in 2012 and D-Bry in the last year. As well as Cena on occasion, but that just goes with the territory. He'd get a reaction in a morgue. It's inherently difficult to compare that to the era where Goldberg wrestled in where the industry had never been bigger, and WCW protected the shit out of his booking. In contrast, Ryback had his push accelerated because of Cena's injury and then cut off at the feet because of The Rock's return. As much as booking could have protected him a bit more, he's the victim of circumstance by getting big at exactly the wrong time. If Ryback had come through this year instead, you can be sure WWE would go in hard with him with their changing of the guard mentality.

If you put a gun to my head and asked me to pick one of them to base a promotion around, I do think I'd pick Ryback. He managed to get over both as a face and a heel, he can go for twenty/thirty minute matches (the TLC with Shield and his match with Bryan on Smackdown were better than anything Goldberg ever did by a country mile), his mic skills are definitely better and he doesn't seem to have as big an ego as Goldberg. Even despite all of that, however, Goldberg is charismatic as hell. The dude bleeds charisma. Probably in the top five of all time, with only Rock, Hogan and Stone Cold above him. The main issue that detracts from that, however, is that he has to be booked and protected so hard for him to make the most of that charisma, and in WCW, it ended up making 75% of the rest of the roster look worse because Goldberg couldn't wrestle long matches, had about five moves and just squashed everybody.

Bigger star? Goldberg, by a mile. Better worker for a company? Ryback, by a mile. The irony in this thread is that aside from their look and their booking, the two of them aren't really that similar. Ryback is a versatile big man who can work anywhere on the card, in any division and work as any alignment. Goldberg is a marquee act who will make a shitload of money, but can only really work as a main event face.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
I think the comparison is moot. Goldberg was such an original when he came on the scene toward the end of 1997. There had never been a guy with his presence. And, as hard as it to believe now after we've seen them try to replicate it a thousand times with a thousand guys, the whole "undefeated streak" was pretty unheard of for a rookie. Goldberg's push and the buildup to Hogan/Sting at Starrcade '97 are the only two things Eric Bischoff ever did right; and yet, they were the only things he needed to do right for WCW to be as big as it was. Ryback was sort of screwed from the beginning for being so similar to Goldberg, and they probably made a mistake by giving in and booking him in the way that appeared most obvious. He never really had a chance.

161 - 180 of 180 Posts