Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Banned
28,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wait for the next iteration of PlayStation may not be as far away as you expect, at least according to one analyst.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Macquarie Capital Securities analyst Damian Thong "said he expected Sony to release its next-generation PlayStation by the second half of 2018."

Analyst predictions don't always pan out, and this isn't necessarily based on some inside scoop. But the WSJ's reporter notes on Twitter that this is the same "analyst who correctly predicted PS4 Pro and Slim" ahead of their respective launches.

That certainly lends credence to the prediction, though in all likelihood, we won't receive any official word from Sony for quite some time. The PS4 was announced nine months prior to its release, while the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro revisions were revealed just one week and two months, respectively, before they hit store shelves.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/next-gen-playstation-system-will-launch-in-2018-an/1100-6449662/

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,872 Posts
Sony's the greatest in the world.........?

*slurp*slurp*slurp*slurp*slurp*slurp*slurp*slurp*slurp*

?

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
No surprise. Sony are financially falling apart. Only the Playstation is bringing in the big money. Makes sense to get out a new console ASAP.

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
I don't believe this. PS4 is still going strong.

Reactions: Mra22

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Hopefully they go back to the 7th generation model of releasing a super powerful console and selling at a loss and making the money on the games rather than releasing new consoles mid-cycle that cost a fucking fortune but can't play any new games.

IF true PS4 Pro will be one of the biggest rip offs in history. Imagine dropping that amount of money on a games console only for it to be obsolete in 2 years.

·
Banned
28,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A five year cycle doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility to me. The long PS3/Xbox 360 era was an anomaly due to various reasons. Perhaps Sony aren't comfortable allowing Microsoft to have such a huge power advantage with Scorpio. Underestimating your competition is never a wise thing no matter how strong your current position may be.

IF this is indeed true it does make me wonder what the hell the point of the Pro was. I was assuming that console was going to bridge the 4K gap and delay the urgency for a next gen console. I mean I guess it's possible that they were caught completely off guard by Scorpio and had to adapt.

At the end of the day as long as this is fully backwards compatible with the PS4 (PS3, PS2 and PSX would be nice as well) library then I am not going to be really offended. Nobody is forcing you to switch over on day one and I am sure they'll continue to support the PS4 for the next couple years anyway.

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
Especially when PS4 is outpacing Wii sales. PS4 is at 60 million shipped (so around 57-58 million sold). They are pacing to hit 100 million by 2019.
I mean, it's a nice headline and all, but the facts are clear to see, it's selling well and there's absolutely no need for Sony to canabalize their own sales and revenue, which is what they'd be doing with a move like this. You release a new console when sales are very clearly slowing down, not before just to do it. Competition isn't too stiff for them this gen, they got off to a flying start and they haven't hit a roadblock yet.

I expect to see PS5 in 2019-2020. Not a year before. I'm no expert, I just have common sense and I'm looking at it from a business and marketing perspective.

·
I wonder what Aeris felt...When she was up on that
31,486 Posts
A five year cycle doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility to me. The long PS3/Xbox 360 era was an anomaly due to various reasons. Perhaps Sony aren't comfortable allowing Microsoft to have such a huge power advantage with Scorpio. Underestimating your competition is never a wise thing no matter how strong your current position may be.

IF this is indeed true it does make me wonder what the hell the point of the Pro was. I was assuming that console was going to bridge the 4K gap and delay the urgency for a next gen console. I mean I guess it's possible that they were caught completely off guard by Scorpio and had to adapt.

At the end of the day as long as this is fully backwards compatible with the PS4 (PS3, PS2 and PSX would be nice as well) library then I am not going to be really offended. Nobody is forcing you to switch over on day one and I am sure they'll continue to support the PS4 for the next couple years anyway.
I don't think Sony is worried about M$ being competition at the moment. They have passed a point of no return in terms of M$ making a noticeable dent in their current market share. Sony is set to always be double X1 sales and 50-60% of the market.

They are probably more concerned with the Switch's great launch numbers and 10 million target for FY 2018 more than amything. Switch has the potential to catch up to X1 within 3 years if targets are met and moderately increased.

·
Premium Member
9,419 Posts
Was expecting this.

"I'm just curious. I saw you pointing and clicking your mouse with with your right hand. Can you do that with both?" "No." "Can't do it with both hands?" "No sir." "Can you do it with your left hand?" "I never tried." "So, you're a righty?" "Yeah."

"Now you're gonna have to learn with your left hand. "

"All right I'm gonna give you a choice. You can either have the PC and the hammer or you can walk out of here. You can't have both."

·
Banned
28,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Was expecting this.

"I'm just curious. I saw you pointing and clicking your mouse with with your right hand. Can you do that with both?" "No." "Can't do it with both hands?" "No sir." "Can you do it with your left hand?" "I never tried." "So, you're a righty?" "Yeah."

"Now you're gonna have to learn with your left hand. "

"All right I'm gonna give you a choice. You can either have the PC and the hammer or you can walk out of here. You can't have both."
:lmao:lmao:lmao Brilliant! A much better punishment for those devious PC players. :evil

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,872 Posts
Can someone tell me what they've accomplished with THIS generation please!

Other than "awe/sum graffiks!" what was special about this generation of consoles that wasn't dwarfed by last gen?

And please don't say VR, that's been around for decades.....

PS, even though this is digital, don't say some random indie game that only a couple hundred people played.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts