Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to start off by saying that I think the WWE should do more to book the Royal Rumble since the winner of the match itself main events WM. We know that part of this booking may, or could include The Survivor Series which has also showcased 4 vs 4 matches (will explain why that is important). What most people forget is that the Survivor Series PPV is second longest running behind Mania, and I think the WWE should push that notion as well. Minus, both World titles you end up having three titles, the IC, the US, and tag team. However, with the tag team titles in the mix you end up having four champions.

A new idea for these titles would, or could be that those four men are all 1,2,3,4 in the Royal Rumble automatically. However, with the Survivor Series concept staying 4 vs 4 like it has done before I think those four men could set up a match at Survivor Series, thus setting up a story heading in to the Royal Rumble. Hell, these four men may even form an impromptu stable due to the new rules, and decide to prove their team work in the Survivor Series match itself. They could claim that they will wait until the 5th person comes down so that they could throw them right out until it's just the four of them. Ultimately, none of them may decide any of those things, and just deal with the fact that they are 1 ,2 , 3, or 4 in the Royal Rumble.

I also think that the Royal Rumble entrants should have their numbers picked way in advanced, and then told to the WWE Universe some way, or the other. Remember the winner of the match headlines WM. There has to be a greater build to this match than what they have been doing thus far. This way with the numbers being known, you can develop feuds off of that, and also for those who did not receive a slot, this helps them creatively as well. Naturally those who don't have a slot have an angle to work from. Who gets in, who doesn't? That's a big deal, considering the result of the match.

The WWE certainly has more than 30 stars. You can have participants having matches with one another to move up higher in the ranks. Perhaps the IC title holder who is definitely going 1, 2, 3, or 4 may want to put their title on the line as an offer for lets say, the 25th spot. Granted no mid card title is more important than either World title, but that person could possibly win the title, and still be in the Rumble match. The loser of the title also loses their spot. A match is then created in order to replace that spot. This idea works great for heels because everything would, or could backfire in their face.

Yes, I guess one could argue that the Royal Rumble always has the mystery entrant. While that may be true, I just don't get the hype behind that notion. Kevin Nash, and Booker T were nostalgic, but that was ruined by the internet. It's really hard to surprise fans anymore, unless you are live. There aren't many surprise spots to do anymore. You can have unexpected comebacks by a returning star, who was on the shelf with injury, but that is expected by now. Imagine the star with the 30th spot in the Royal Rumble. Ask yourself, how much power do they really have?

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
They need to put the focus back on the title and possibly just make one title so winning the rumble means something again.

If they would do that then they could focus on the build for the four traditional ppv's and link their storylines together. For example, let's say next year the Rumble comes down to Ziggler and Rhodes, Ziggler wins and gets to face Punk at Wrestlemania. So then Ziggler vs. Punk happens, Dolph gets the title and Rhodes comes out and taunts him. So then Rhodes vs. Ziggler happens at Summerslam, Ziggler retains and faces Punk at Survivor Series again. I mean not that predictable but somewhat of a coherent storyline. The filler ppvs could be used to promote the stories and the other main events at these major ppvs.

The Rumble though should be made more relevant. Definitely.

·
Still searching
4,391 Posts
I agree with everything you have said, apart from the mystery entrants bit.

Take this year's rumble for example:
Road Dogg's return had been pretty well expected, but I still arked like hell

Not many people saw Jim Duggan or all 3 commentators entering.

Very few people guessed that Kharma would return, and when they did, everyone else on the forum screamed abuse at them.

And although it wasn't really a return, Ricardo Rodriguez was pretty unexpected.

The art of the surprise entrant is still alive and well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts