Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've often said i consider 1997 to be the single greatest year in wrestling history as WWE, WCW and ECW wre all having great years and there were so many great feuds like Michaels/Hart, Austin/Hart and Michaels/Undertaker in WWE, Sting/Hogan and DDP/Savage in WCW and ECW just being great in general. We saw the rise of Stone Cold Steve Austin, the birth of Mr McMahon, Shawn Michaels at his best as a character, Sting evolve into a genuine megastar, Diamond Dallas Page become a star and arguably the greatest storyline in WWE history in the beginning of Undertaker/Kane but everything began with The Royal Rumble.

A lot of people don't seem to think too much of The Royal Rumble in 1997 and based on the buyrate that is understandable but for me the whole PPV was great with Ahmed Johnson/Faarooq having been involved in a long feud, Undertaker/Vader being a decent feud and good big man match, a good Intercontinental title match between Triple H and Goldust who had a good feud, Shawn Michaels/Sid Vicious for the WWE title in arguably the best match Sid Vicious ever had and then the actual Rumble match won in controversial circumstances by Stone Cold Steve Austin which furthered Austin/Hart.

All in all for me as a whole PPV it was great as WWE literally threw all the main feuds into one big feud with Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Undertaker, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Vader and Sid Vicious all being involved with each other prior to the PPV and for a month or so afterwards, this was a time when WWE knew how to book multi man feuds. This was the starting point of where WWE began to toy with the idea of an edgier product and whilst the buyrate may not prove it this was a great PPV overall and one of the best of that year which as a said i considered to be the single greatest year in wrestling history.

·
Banned
6,531 Posts
Thanks for your opinion.

·
Premium Member
44,393 Posts
I do agree that 1997, creatively, was probably the greatest year for wrestling. ECW was at its best. WCW was clearly at its best. WWF struggled for the first half of the year, but once they found a direction, they were golden to close out the year. It was a very exciting time to be a wrestling fan.

I wasn't a huge fan of the 97 Rumble though. It was cool to see Shawn in his hometown in such a big venue, and I guess it was cool to see Austin win the Rumble the way he did, but everything else was pretty forgettable.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
if you would listen foley he would say they had good year creatively in 1997 but dont get much credit for it. so wwe were that bad after all and 97 was good for professionally wrestling

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Anyone see the Kayfabe Commentaries with Jim Cornette called Timeline 1997? He breaks down what was going on backstage during that year. I've only seen the previews on YouTube but they are each like 5 minutes long. I always hated Cornette back in the day but I love the shoots he does these days.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Anyone see the Kayfabe Commentaries with Jim Cornette called Timeline 1997? He breaks down what was going on backstage during that year. I've only seen the previews on YouTube but they are each like 5 minutes long. I always hated Cornette back in the day but I love the shoots he does these days.
I did see that I remember him saying tickets to the royal rumble that year were like 10 bucks

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My favourite rumble was 2001, Kane kicked ass that night.
The Royal Rumble in 1997 wasn't my favorite Royal Rumble match or even favorite Royal Rumble PPV as i would rank 1992, 2001, 2007 and 2008 as much better Royal Rumble matches and i would say 1992, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2007 and 2008 as better PPV's. There was just something about The Royal Rumble in 1997 though that always stands out to me as special and it was the start of a truly fantastic year for WWE and wrestling as a whole.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts