Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
TNA Believer
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading Powell's review on Lockdown: "They did a really nice job of making viewers at home think Storm was going to win the title tonight by having his wife and apparently additional family members in the crowd (we stopped caring about Montgomery Gentry about two seconds after they appeared on TNA television the first time). This is exactly what I was hoping for in my TNA predictions piece. It wasn't red hot and it seemed to irritate a lot of the live crowd, but if they can get over on Impact that Storm was close to winning the title and Roode retained on a fluke, they could make viewers start to invest in his chase for the title."

IMO TNA actually did good on Lockdown's main event. Although everyone was waiting for Storm to get a well deserved win, both man put a lot of heart in that match and both came out strong.

TNA got us used to the fact that whenever a heel wins an important match, he cannot do it unless the match becomes a complete train wreck. But this time both man worked hard and by the end it feels Roode won by a fluke.

This result can either become a memorable turning point for TNA or it can just suck big time (and yes i know that TNA usually can't handle potencial when they have it...)

What i feel is that what TNA can build something huge if, right this week, Roode cuts a few really cocky promos about how he won fair and he almost had storm if he hadn't fell of the cage (anything other than that old lost friendship speach). Have him win some clean matches and build the image that he can't be beat. This would bring real heat to him and TNA could have the perfect main-event for slammy.

I'm actually afraid TNA will ruin this feud by throwing some Sting, Hogan, Flair, Bully Ray or other veteran to the feud or whatever...

Do you feel the way TNA will have a chance to redeem themselves with Roode and Storm feud or is it hopeless?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I thought it was great. The main event was everything it needed to be.

Having Storm beat Roode last night would have done nothing for Roode, now he looks like a even bigger cocky arsehole who got lucky, and Storm will get more sympathy, get more over with the fans who want to see him beat Roode, and then the eventual pay-off will be even greater when he finally does win the title from him.

TNA have built the whole Roode/Storm angle brilliantly, last night was the 100% correct thing to do to get Roode more over as a heel, and build-up their rivalry. The problem is, too many people dont have the patience to see the bigger picture.

Also, that crowd didnt deserve a title change, so I'm glad TNA didnt pull the trigger.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Roode's promo on Thursday should include reminding Storm that he has no luck just like his dead brothers and dead father, and he proved that at once again at Lockdown when he got beat for the 4th time (after all he has beat him 4 times since the Impact prior to BFG). He needs to cut on his family and how he proved once again to his wife and kids and to his friends and to the fans that he loves so much that he is a loser, a nothing a nobody. He is not the IT factor of professional wrestling.

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
I won't say fans is not patient, they just don't buy Storm as that guy. I've said this before lockdown in other threads. I love Roode and he is the real deal, he shown he can be a strong heel and babyface but Storm on the other hand is a toss up. I think fans outside the Impact Zone don't really care about Storm and his chase/revenge. No excuse for last week ratings to be 0.98, no excuse. This year lockdown only had 2000 fans? I've been watching wrestling for a long time, these are not good signs even during bad economic times. Are you guys trying to tell me, that a rematch at Bound For Glory is the way to go? I might be wrong, but all signs pointing to that Storm is not the right guy for the job.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I won't say fans is not patient, they just don't buy Storm as that guy. I've said this before lockdown in other threads. I love Roode and he is the real deal, he shown he can be a strong heel and babyface but Storm on the other hand is a toss up. I think fans outside the Impact Zone don't really care about Storm and his chase/revenge. No excuse for last week ratings to be 0.98, no excuse. This year lockdown only had 2000 fans? I've been watching wrestling for a long time, these are not good signs even during bad economic times. Are you guys trying to tell me, that a rematch at Bound For Glory is the way to go? I might be wrong, but all signs pointing to that Storm is not the right guy for the job.
That hasn't been confirmed, thats only Meltzer estimate, basically his guess. Looked more than 2000 to me, i went to a house show in Nottingham in the UK which was officially over 2000 and no way in hell were there more there that night than at lockdown last night. I would guess the crowd was about 3000-3500, which still isnt exactly great.

The rating was poor though yeah, but you cant just give up on something and somebody because the ratings went down one week, next week they will probably be back to normal levels.

TNA need to make new stars, and ratings tend to fall when companies do this, as the more established better-known names are taken out the picture.

Give them time.

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
True BUT this feud and match been building for months. Besides Rock/Cena, this was the second most anticipation match on "mainstream" tv and this is the best they can do? What can they do in 6 months to make the fans care about James Storm? He's not a very good sympathetic figure. He is not as cool as Roode. I actually think if Storm was the heel champion with Roode being the chaser would of done better business wise. Roode is the star and Storm is the Marty Jannetty and most fans probably look at Storm in that way. TNA can keep trying but I just don't think Storm is that guy.

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,085 Posts
Hardy going after Roode would do great business.

I think they're still trying to work out who storm will feud with after he's won it which is why they haven't given him the belt as they haven't decided who the next guy will be.

·
Has returned. Run.
2,396 Posts
You people are crazy if you think this can last for another 6 months. Storm would have to get a rematch in those 6 months based on how Lockdown ended. If you're building it to BFG, he can't be losing the rematches all the way there. I say do the blowoff at Slammiversary.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
True BUT this feud and match been building for months. Besides Rock/Cena, this was the second most anticipation match on "mainstream" tv and this is the best they can do? What can they do in 6 months to make the fans care about James Storm? He's not a very good sympathetic figure. He is not as cool as Roode. I actually think if Storm was the heel champion with Roode being the chaser would of done better business wise. Roode is the star and Storm is the Marty Jannetty and most fans probably look at Storm in that way. TNA can keep trying but I just don't think Storm is that guy.
Sure, its very possible that us 'smark' fans care more about Roode/Storm than the casual fans do, very possible.

Wrestling is on its ass in North America, so I dont see the ratings or PPV buys for TNA or WWE improving anytime soon to be honest.

Things might be rough for a while. WWE can easily survive it, lets hope TNA can too.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
You people are crazy if you think this can last for another 6 months. Storm would have to get a rematch in those 6 months based on how Lockdown ended. If you're building it to BFG, he can't be losing the rematches all the way there. I say do the blowoff at Slammiversary.
Storm has been losing rematches since November, whats another 6 months?

I personnaly think the past almost 6 months has been too long. The feud has run it's course. Their story is getting old. Storm needs to move on and a new person needs to feud for the belt. After so many months I'm tired of seeing Storm whine about the belt each week. He needs to face facts that's it's over for him. Let him feud with Bully Ray or Kurt Angle. He still needs revenge for when Angle beat up everyone in his hometowm. I loved that and would like to see them 2 start feuding.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
I kinda liked the ending. So many people here have been talking about how Roode title reign should go on, he has been doing a great job at being a champion and Storm has been doing a great job of chasing the title since last year.

It was literally the "Oh shit" moment for me when the match ended. I really thought Storm was winning.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I agree with this. I think if they're going to do the blowoff, they have to do it at Slammy. They can play up the 10th anniversary and him and AJ being the only guys that were on the first show in 02. The problem is though, what do you do for BFG if Storm keeps the belt until then? Do they do the face-face passing the torch thing like they did a couple years with Sting and Styles, replacing Sting in that scenario with Hardy (you have to figure he'll be in the ME somehow)? Beyond Roode and Bully, TNA really doesn't have any top heels. Abyss is Joseph Parks, Mr. Anderson is everybody's favorite asshole again, and Aries was turned because he was getting face pops despite his heel push. Right now, I'd say probably Daniels is their third top heel. Either him or Eric Bishoff, who was is 1) not a wrestler and 2) was just written off TV.

Of course someone could turn by the time Storm takes the belt if he does take it at all, but the unbalanced face-heel alliance could be a problem with Storm as a face champion on top for the summer. And after an 8-month chase at that point, he can't possibly drop the title to a heel in say, August, without it coming off pretty terribly, right? That's usually the spot that's reserved for Kurt Angle when he was the regular heel going into BFG, but this year, it'd probably be a very bad idea. July is DX, so that'll get them out of having a world title match then (no idea what main events that show unless they figure out a way to get to Styles-Aries or something), but after the inevitable Storm-Ray match at say Hardcore Justice, then what? Seems like TNA's booked themselves into a bit of a corner to me...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I will say this though, although the end is getting crapped on a lot today online, anytime they do something that tries to get me to figure where they're going from here, it worked at least for me. If I don't care about an angle or a finish, in TNA or anywhere, I generally don't think about how it will be followed up. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well Storm v Roode could be stretched until BFG if they went with Storm winning the BFG series other than that I dont know how TNA could possibly make that work but if Storm does win the title at Slammiversary then where does he go afterwards? because I dont know about you guys but I've never really been comfortable with face v face title matches because its hard to sell the animosity that they have with each other and I also dont think that having a face as champion and a heel on the chase for the title can work really well so where could TNA go after Storm wins the title because it's not a matter of if it's a matter of when Storm gets the strap

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Well Storm v Roode could be stretched until BFG if they went with Storm winning the BFG series other than that I dont know how TNA could possibly make that work but if Storm does win the title at Slammiversary then where does he go afterwards? because I dont know about you guys but I've never really been comfortable with face v face title matches because its hard to sell the animosity that they have with each other and I also dont think that having a face as champion and a heel on the chase for the title can work really well so where could TNA go after Storm wins the title because it's not a matter of if it's a matter of when Storm gets the strap
I think it could be cool to see Storm win the BFG series to make him and Roode being the first two winners part of the build if they choose to wait that long, but I don't know if I see how they keep them apart for that long. Storm's going to have to demand a rematch after last night, and Roode's of course going to deny it because he already beat him. Even if they do the lawyer thing, that can probably only get them to Slammy. Also, they always put a "big name" in the BFG main event. Literally everyone since the first BFG in 2005 has involved Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy or Sting in some capacity (Angle was the enforcer for Jeff Jarrett vs Sting in 06). Even in 2005, they used Rhino, who was one of the bigger stars they had in the pre-Spike TV days from his time in ECW. Maybe they'll surprise us this year, but nothing about TNA's history tells me they'll go with two of their original guys on top at BFG.

I think part of what made Lockdown so interesting to a lot of people is it was one of the first times they were trusting their own guys to main event one of the big shows with each other. If you consider Lockdown, Slammiversary and Bound for Glory to be their big shows for the year, which I think most people do, they've only really done a one-on-one "originals" main event one time: LD '05 with Abyss and AJ Styles (which should probably be discussed in another thread lol).

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I will say this:

The end to the main event of BFG 2011 and the end of the Lockdown mainevent of 2012 are the types of swerves I am ALL FOR. Predictability in wrestling and the 'smarter' fans 'knowing' what is going to happening and having an idea (and solid belief) on what SHOULD happen has lessend the fun. Nothing wrong with giving someone something new...as long as the follow up is good. People took a shit all over BFG 2011's outcome, but the follow up brought us James Storm as WHC, The break up of BMI, Roode winning the title, and the awesome build to the mainevent of Lockdown 2012. TNA has 2 months until Slammiversary...

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
I will say this:

The end to the main event of BFG 2011 and the end of the Lockdown mainevent of 2012 are the types of swerves I am ALL FOR. Predictability in wrestling and the 'smarter' fans 'knowing' what is going to happening and having an idea (and solid belief) on what SHOULD happen has lessend the fun. Nothing wrong with giving someone something new...as long as the follow up is good. People took a shit all over BFG 2011's outcome, but the follow up brought us James Storm as WHC, The break up of BMI, Roode winning the title, and the awesome build to the mainevent of Lockdown 2012. TNA has 2 months until Slammiversary...
Exactly. Everything from Storm's entrance, Storm's music video, Storm's hometown, Storm's wife and friends in attendance screamed SPOILERS about the mainevent. Surprise is always good, and its not like they made Roode beat Storm clean.

The feud continues.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
What can they do in 6 months to make the fans care about James Storm?
1- Whether he is in the main event or not position him as your top babyface. With TV time and without it. That means outside of the ring in doing the media promo and hype work for the company as well as a lot of the charitable and good will appearances, should be pushed onto Storm's shoulders. Take the focus off of Hogan, Sting, Flair etc and have Storm be the one to do the leg work for much of this.

2- At every corner Roode turns, Storm needs to be booked there reminding him he is going to get another match whether it is for the title or not and that he James Storm will make damn sure Bobby loses that title to one way or another.

3- TNA needs to make this feud much much more personal now. They need to play up the loser/dead brother dead father bit. They need to have Roode cross over the line repeatedly and amp up the intensity and on screen disdain between the two. It is time to make people really feel the hatred and really fuel this fire, people need to not only want to see Storm win but want to see Roode lose.

Far from crazy. They have had 1 PPV match, and before that we had 3 short TV matches with good intervals of time in between them. The reality is they may have only begun to scratch the surface on this feud, everything here falls back onto good creative writing and booking. The story arc on this has yet to come close to it's climax IMHO.

One rematch is all they need to do right now, at Slammiversary and preferably in the KOTM. Thus not another one on one encounter until BFG. BUT they need to keep the feud hot while there are being kept apart inside the ring, meaning interactions between them. And Storm acknowledging his goal regularly.

I think part of what made Lockdown so interesting to a lot of people is it was one of the first times they were trusting their own guys to main event one of the big shows with each other.
And they should do the same for BFG. Trust their own guys to finish telling the story that began over a year prior. Long term booking and storytelling, that is how you reach a great climax if pull the right strings with strong writing and execution. Let your creative writers on staff write.

Most of this story was written with Russo and it could have been delivered much better than it was, they let it cool down far too much and forgot to keep the interaction there to keep things simmering. Storm wasn't breathing over Roode's shoulder, but now is the time to do just that and really kick this feud into another gear.

Let it all culminate to a "3 Stages of Hell" match at BFG. First fall pinfall, second Submission and third Last Man Standing. Give them another 25 minutes or more to work with. Again if people WANT Storm to win and WANT Roode to lose then they have done their job well, it's all about building it as such to get there.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hardy going after Roode would do great business.

I think they're still trying to work out who storm will feud with after he's won it which is why they haven't given him the belt as they haven't decided who the next guy will be.
Yeah I thought thats as well about who James Storm could feud with if he won the tiel and other than Bully Ray there isnt really any credible heels in TNA.

Crimson still needs to improve and get over as a heel

Bully Ray has alredy had so many matches with Roode and Storm he needs to feud with someone else now.

Daniels is good but he would need to gain some serious momentum to be seen as a credible challenger for the title.

Now on the other hand Roode has got so many people to feud with:

Anderson
Morgan
RVD
Aries

They really need to bring back people like The Pope and Douglas Williams and make them credible heels and bring in some new up and coming indy talent.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts