Wrestling Forum banner

Agree or disagree?

• Yes, Punk vs Reigns would be a far bigger, more intriguing and money match.

• Nope, Cena vs Reigns II is the bigger match.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CM Punk is actually everything John Cena has been(and would be) stating about himself and why he returned to Roman Reigns in his promos. As in- the voice of the voiceless, anti-establishment, anti-entitlement.

1)John Cena was nothing but a cancer to the WWE- years of mainevents and hogging the spotlight(even when Punk was champion) and being the poster boy of "protected". Argue all you want about "he sold merchandise" or that stupid US title open challenge, it doesn't change the fact that he drove MILLIONS away from the WWE for good. In the long run, Vince/WWE actually lost more money than they earned from him.

2)John Cena cutting those promos on Reigns is just unrealistic as the animosity is more manufactured than genuine. Let's not forget his hypocrisy in leaving the WWE for Hollywood which he accused the Rock of. It sounds more fitting for Punk to say "I would love to be the universal champion but the biggest reason I'm back after all this time is YOU, Roman Reigns. I've been hearing you yap about being the tribal chief and acting like you own this place, and I'm gonna put an end to it".

3)Punk vs Reigns could also be a way better match or a classic kind of like how Styles vs Reigns was(except that Styles had barely debuted then and wasn't a legitimate top star in the WWE at then), whereas Reigns vs Cena has already happened.

4)No one has anything to gain from fruity pebbles John Cena ruining another mainevent match regardless of if he wins or loses. Reigns has already beaten him.

But Punk returning on the other hand...there's a lot of intrigue and genuine animosity.

In fact Punk could lose his first match upon returning(same as Brock Lesnar) and STILL have momentum, because the Punk vs Triple H/WWE Machine story would continue, and Reigns can either drop the title to him later down the line, or drop it to some other babyface, with Punk eventually winning it.

·
The Babyface of WF
"What I've always wanted...A better world"
17,765 Posts
Punk was one of two only people who could have received a bigger reaction from Texas at MITB than Cena for sure, I think because it would have been Punk's return it would have been a bigger deal overall hot off his insistence to stay away from the ring for almost 8 years, Cena/Roman has been done before too where the torch was initially passed off of one match benefitting Roman.

Punk is perfect for the Corporate Player type so you can easily work in a scenario or two there, Punk wanted to oust Cena in 2011 now he wants to humble Roman in 2021 of that sort, They never worked a proper one on one rivalry for obvious reasons and timing being far too early for Roman back in 2013 but yeah this would be lit.

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
21,131 Posts
Punk would have been a much better choice. The promos alone would put Reigns/Cena II to shame. But alas Cena is what we are left with. It is what it is.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Punk lost twice to two 170 lbs fighters, what makes you think he can be any threat to Roman Reigns? LOL

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
CM Punk peak was 10 years ago and he was not even a real main eventer.

Returning and doing the honours to Roman would have been a good SummerSlam storyline but John Cena is way bigger than him in and out of wrestling.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Punk lost twice to two 170 lbs fighters, what makes you think he can be any threat to Roman Reigns? LOL
Because Roman is a "legit" fighter 🤣 🤣 🤣

CM Punk peak was 10 years ago and he was not even a real main eventer.

Returning and doing the honours to Roman would have been a good SummerSlam storyline but John Cena is way bigger than him in and out of wrestling.
Roman has been forced down the throats of WWE fans for 7 years. Well those who have stuck around and has been struggling to draw 2 Million Viewers on Basic Cable 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Don’t even have to read it, yes, it would have been awesome. However, I like how this is turning out. Reigns/Cena is going to be heated as fuck. It reminds me so much of when Rock came back and called out Cena years ago. And as much as I would have LOVED to see Punk sign a check and be forced to wrestle H, I’m hoping Tony has the good sense to play off of that and give us Punk/knockoff HHH in AEW. It writes itself.

I’m not going to get ahead of myself, but this looks like it could be a new era in professional wrestling. Not a war, but both sides look to be trying like hell. That’s good for everyone.

·
Registered
13,274 Posts
Who are these millions of people Cena ran off OP?

In 2003 Raw was doing 3 million viewers leading into Wrestlemania 19 which btw did lowest ppv buys for a Wrestlemania since 97 or anytime after. Cena didn't even wrestle on that card.

The attitude era fans were long gone before Cena got his push. By late 2004 WWE were struggling to 1/4 fill b ppvs like Taboo Tuesday and half fill A shows like Survivor Series and half fill MSG for Raw tv and Cena was midcard act on SD trading wins with fucking Carlito.

Punk and Reigns would have real life heat but Cena is 100 times the star Punk is in 2021.

Cena btw hasn't mainevented a ppv in singles capacity in 7 fucking years. September 2014 was last time.

Roman has been forced down the throats of WWE fans for 7 years. Well those who have stuck around and has been struggling to draw 2 Million Viewers on Basic Cable 🤣 🤣 🤣
Reigns isn't on Raw and hasn't appeared on Raw in years so why should he get blame for Raw numbers?

I mean Mike Tyson appearance on basic cable in 2020 drew 600,000 and Shaq wrestling on free TV did 900,000..in that situation 2 million is really good

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Who are these millions of people Cena ran off OP?

In 2003 Raw was doing 3 million viewers leading into Wrestlemania 19 which btw did lowest ppv buys for a Wrestlemania since 97 or anytime after. Cena didn't even wrestle on that card.
From the numbers I've seen the lowest rated episode in 2003 was the end of the year edition. It had 3.7 million viewers. Generally as the year progressed they fluctuated between 4.2 and 4.6 million. If that data is correct then several episodes in February and March likely nudged the 5 million figure.

The WM 19 number doesn't tell the whole story. Apparently there was a switch happening between analogue boxes and digital boxes. Some providers used the PPV as a hook to get customers to switch.

This was also the period between international PPV becoming a big part of the final number and WWE releasing that info. It was free to air in the UK and Ireland, for example. So that 560,000 figure was no lower than 80% domestic i.e 448,000 buys in North America. Wrestlemania 26 wasn't that much more at 495,000 domestic.

·
Registered
13,274 Posts
Domestic for WM19 was 431k. Domestic for WM26 was 495k so still higher and 19 was far far stronger card while 26 was acknowledged to be huge disappointment at box office but had excuse in that GSP fight in UFC was 15-20 hours earlier and completely wiped out Wrestlemania buys in Canada as everyone opted for the UFC ppv instead.

Following year WWE did everything to try and increase buys. Their first option for a cross promotion Wrestlemania between themselves and UFC. When that collapsed (after starting the program with Taker and Brock) they wanted Justin Bieber and eventually they got their third option which was by far best in Rock.

But anyway going back to this stupid IWC myth that Cena ran off millions of fans. Complete horseshit. There was more people watching Raw in 2009 when Cena was at his peak of popularity compared to 2004 when he was midcard on SD.

The fans had left long before Cena became top guy. In fact he brought in new fans, mostly kids and saw attendance rise from. 2003-04.

You can see the drop off in people attending live shows just before Cena became Fotc despite WWE massively increasing number of shows..

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
So Cena completely embarrasses Roman on the mic years ago, and the smarks believe that Punk & Roman have a better storyline angle??? Give me Reigns vs Cena over anything Punk related, because I'm not looking forward to the upcoming whiny smark neckbeard fandom that's about to permeate the wrestling world here in a couple of months because of AEW.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts