Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reigns recently did an interview for Sports Illustrated's Off The Board Podcast talking about various subjects, below I put a few highlights. Feel free to check the source for the full interview (you can also listen to the whole podcast embedded on the link).

How Reigns feels about the promo...

"There’s a different type of appreciation that you have for a really good match, like a 30-minute bout, and taking the crowd on that roller coaster ride. I’ve been fortunate enough to be in a few of those matches to where it was just incredible, the crowd was awesome they were just going nuts the whole time, super into the match, but that [promo] was probably the most gratifying thing I’ve... I enjoyed that segment more than any other segment and I had just wrestled and beaten the Undertaker the night before.

But it was so bittersweet to just be able to have full control. I just felt like everybody was on a string at that point and I was just pulling them. There’s a little thing where you can see I pretty much mouth it, 'I got em in the palm of my hand.' I had thousands of people doing exactly what I wanted them to do and it’s like master plan and it’s unfolding perfectly in front of your eyes.

I could’ve stayed out there for another 20 minutes. We had other segments and other brothers that had to go out there and do their work. But the whole time, I was looking at every different cameraman and they’re all telling me to 'go home' and that signal is just one finger doing a little circle, saying 'wrap it up, take it home, let’s go,' and I sat there and looked at cameramen doing that for five to 10 minutes and I knew we were getting pretty deep into that Seg One and we’re about pretty much cross over into Seg 2 and Seg 3 and I felt bad because there were guys, I think it was one of the Hardy Boyz against Sheamus or Cesar, and I did feel bad because I did eat into their match, but there was that electricity out there and you don’t leave the table when you’re on the heater."

One whether the plan all along to only say, "This is my yard now" and nothing else...

"We threw around a few different ideas, but it wasn’t going to be much longer than that. Maybe a line or two more. But we felt after what happened the night before, it was fitting to keep it simple and let the crowd do all the work and luckily we had a great crowd, super energetic. That’s the thing for me; I don’t care what you do in there, as long as you stay somewhat respectful and don’t get crazy. We are syndicating live and it is a PG show. As long as you're rowdy and noisy, you can cheer me, you can boo me, you can do whatever you gotta do, just as long as you're into it and you’re having fun and you’re taking advantage of the time you’re spending at the show and the hard money you spent to get there. That’s all I care about is people coming and enjoying themselves, whether that’s through cheering me, booing me, whatever it may be. Just have a good time."

Reigns also talked about where we'll one day see a match between him and John Cena after they recently got into a Twitter beef...

"I think so. If you’re here for the right reasons -- and this doesn’t just go for wrestling, this is anything, this is what drives our world -- you wanna be in there with the best. To say John Cena is not one of the best of all time is asinine. He is. He’s a 16-time heavyweight champion. There’s only two men in the whole world that can say that. So to be able to share the ring with him, to do a big fight with John Cena, I’m all for that.

I came here for a reason. I didn’t come here to blend in. I came here to stick out and that’s what I’ve done. I’m not gonna back down to anybody I said this a long time ago: I don’t care who’s at the top. I’m stepping up. I think I’ve proved that over the years. I think, what a great way to honor both of our careers and what we’re trying to do and the way we try to drive this train. What better way to do it than in the ring, one on one."

How does he, as a locker room leader, handle a superstar, such as, Enzo Amore, having heat...

"I swing the sword. If I put the sentence down, I lay it down. If you have heat, that's what a locker room leader does. He speaks up for the rest of the bunch. And it is tough when you got too many chips in position, I am not the only guy who would speak up. But as the man that I am before I was in this business, I would have spoken up if something was wrong. To what I am today, within our industry I am a locker room leader and I like to think that I’ve been afforded the keys to the car and so I drive that thing around everyonce in a while. But I am going to take care of it, I’ve said this a long time ago and it is funny because I said it to CM Punk, but my whole goal is to leave this place better than how I found it. I meant that. I was born into this business, it runs through my veins, I’ve experienced a lot of hardships and great moments throughout my life because of this business. But the bottom line is, I don't care who you are. You will not disrespect it (the wrestling business). Not in front of me. Not today, not any day that I am alive.“

Source: Sports Illustrated

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I am actually looking forward Reigns-Cena.
But if Cena keeps losing that often then the rub will not mean as much.

I think Cena-Reigns could be 2 Wrestlemania main events like Cena-Rock.
Cena must win his 17th world title from Roman at WM35 to get that huge pop.

·
Premium Member
27,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am actually looking forward Reigns-Cena.
But if Cena keeps losing that often then the rub will not mean as much.

I think Cena-Reigns could be 2 Wrestlemania main events like Cena-Rock.
Cena must win his 17th world title from Roman at WM35 to get that huge pop.
Yeah Reigns-Cena should be a great feud and match. As far as the rub goes, as I see it, honestly Reigns going over at Mania is more like a passing of the torch thing since at this point I think it could be said that beating Reigns is more of a big deal than beating Cena.

I am sure they could extend it to two Mania main events a la Cena-Rock but I am not sure if they'll go that route.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,407 Posts
I like Enzo but if he was slagging off the business then can't blame Reigns for kicking him off the bus.

·
Registered
32,247 Posts
The drama whore in me wonders what Punk said when Reigns said his intentions were to leave things better than when he arrived.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,667 Posts
Reigns recently did an interview for Sports Illustrated's Off The Board Podcast talking about various subjects, below I put a few highlights. Feel free to check the source for the full interview (you can also listen to the whole podcast embedded on the link).

How Reigns feels about the promo...

"There’s a different type of appreciation that you have for a really good match, like a 30-minute bout, and taking the crowd on that roller coaster ride. I’ve been fortunate enough to be in a few of those matches to where it was just incredible, the crowd was awesome they were just going nuts the whole time, super into the match, but that [promo] was probably the most gratifying thing I’ve... I enjoyed that segment more than any other segment and I had just wrestled and beaten the Undertaker the night before.

But it was so bittersweet to just be able to have full control. I just felt like everybody was on a string at that point and I was just pulling them. There’s a little thing where you can see I pretty much mouth it, 'I got em in the palm of my hand.' I had thousands of people doing exactly what I wanted them to do and it’s like master plan and it’s unfolding perfectly in front of your eyes.

I could’ve stayed out there for another 20 minutes. We had other segments and other brothers that had to go out there and do their work. But the whole time, I was looking at every different cameraman and they’re all telling me to 'go home' and that signal is just one finger doing a little circle, saying 'wrap it up, take it home, let’s go,' and I sat there and looked at cameramen doing that for five to 10 minutes and I knew we were getting pretty deep into that Seg One and we’re about pretty much cross over into Seg 2 and Seg 3 and I felt bad because there were guys, I think it was one of the Hardy Boyz against Sheamus or Cesar, and I did feel bad because I did eat into their match, but there was that electricity out there and you don’t leave the table when you’re on the heater."

One whether the plan all along to only say, "This is my yard now" and nothing else...

"We threw around a few different ideas, but it wasn’t going to be much longer than that. Maybe a line or two more. But we felt after what happened the night before, it was fitting to keep it simple and let the crowd do all the work and luckily we had a great crowd, super energetic. That’s the thing for me; I don’t care what you do in there, as long as you stay somewhat respectful and don’t get crazy. We are syndicating live and it is a PG show. As long as you're rowdy and noisy, you can cheer me, you can boo me, you can do whatever you gotta do, just as long as you're into it and you’re having fun and you’re taking advantage of the time you’re spending at the show and the hard money you spent to get there. That’s all I care about is people coming and enjoying themselves, whether that’s through cheering me, booing me, whatever it may be. Just have a good time."

Reigns also talked about where we'll one day see a match between him and John Cena after they recently got into a Twitter beef...

"I think so. If you’re here for the right reasons -- and this doesn’t just go for wrestling, this is anything, this is what drives our world -- you wanna be in there with the best. To say John Cena is not one of the best of all time is asinine. He is. He’s a 16-time heavyweight champion. There’s only two men in the whole world that can say that. So to be able to share the ring with him, to do a big fight with John Cena, I’m all for that.

I came here for a reason. I didn’t come here to blend in. I came here to stick out and that’s what I’ve done. I’m not gonna back down to anybody I said this a long time ago: I don’t care who’s at the top. I’m stepping up. I think I’ve proved that over the years. I think, what a great way to honor both of our careers and what we’re trying to do and the way we try to drive this train. What better way to do it than in the ring, one on one."

How does he, as a locker room leader, handle a superstar, such as, Enzo Amore, having heat...

"I swing the sword. If I put the sentence down, I lay it down. If you have heat, that's what a locker room leader does. He speaks up for the rest of the bunch. And it is tough when you got too many chips in position, I am not the only guy who would speak up. But as the man that I am before I was in this business, I would have spoken up if something was wrong. To what I am today, within our industry I am a locker room leader and I like to think that I’ve been afforded the keys to the car and so I drive that thing around everyonce in a while. But I am going to take care of it, I’ve said this a long time ago and it is funny because I said it to CM Punk, but my whole goal is to leave this place better than how I found it. I meant that. I was born into this business, it runs through my veins, I’ve experienced a lot of hardships and great moments throughout my life because of this business. But the bottom line is, I don't care who you are. You will not disrespect it (the wrestling business). Not in front of me. Not today, not any day that I am alive.“

Source: Sports Illustrated
Just skim read and saw this? Didn't he say a few years back that he was only into wrestling for the money or something along those lines, isn't that disrespecting the business? Yes it is and therefore he is a hypocrite for saying that.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
To be honest that promo the night after wrestlemania is what made me say "If Roman Reigns keeps this attitude up I may actually like him again" and here we are. The man has finally developed and I like what he has become

Thank god they ditched the jokes and cheese. Keep this man the badass he currently is, his feud with Braun has been a highlight of the year.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.