Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In sport you have Role Models which is someone people look up to and strive to be. So I'm wondering in the wacky world of wrestling with all the things that go on who would be the person that you or kids look up to setting a good influence in what is really known as a negative industry.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: Role Models

Personally I think people make too much of the idea of role models. Adults and kids admire sportsmen because they are good at sport, they entertain you and they do things that other people can't do. I don't know really why people assume that translates into wanting to copy their lifestyle, or why it should do: They are famous precisely because they are different from you and I, so what is the point in trying to be them?

There are people like Rock and Austin that I would have listed as my role models as a 10 year old in 2000, but looking back they had had pretty much no impact on how I grew up living my life - they were just cool and entertaining. Even stuff like Austin's wife-beating had pretty much no effect.

However, if I had a kid and had to decide one person for him to look up to, I think it would be **** Foley. He is a good example of someone who has persevered to make his dream career come true despite not being naturally that talented or suited to it. I'm sure he'll have been rejected lots along the way but kept at it, and he ultimately got his reward for being a good guy and going through all those years of working hard for practically nothing. Lots of people would have thought he wouldn't fit into wrestling, but he worked hard enough to redefine what wrestling was, so that by the end he did fit in, but in his own way

·
Banned
852 Posts

Daniel Bryan is a role model. He's a vegan. He doesn't eat meat. Meat clogs your arteries. He's healthier than all of us.

Reactions: seancarleton77

·
Registered
745 Posts

I'm going to probably say either Chris Jericho or Edge. Both guys got the wrestling bug from watching it, decided on making it a good core of their life, and were committed and dedicated to it even with the harsh conditions in the early parts of their career (doing Indy shows and probably sleeping in cars while being in those indy shows). They also steered cleared from major scandals (Edge's triangle in 2005 may have been one, but hindsight, and the fact that Matt Hardy went crazy in later years has cooled the matter down and that people has gotten over it).

Also, they managed their funds well so that they both know that they are to be set for retirement and be happy about it. Edge has already showed it, and I know Jericho is going to have a great afterlife after wrestling with his band, radio shows, books, and occasional television appearances.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

Rey Mysterio. The little man with a huge heart.

·
Banned
4,994 Posts

Zack Ryder and his pursuit of happyness

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which Wrestler do you look up to

I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum to post this in, i'm just wondering which wrestlers have had the most impact on you or do/did you look up to. For me it's Bret Hart, Owen Hart, and CM punk

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Re: Which Wrestler do you look up to

I legitimately think that John Cena is a really decent guy and think that he's a great role model for the young WWE fans. He's carried himself with exemplary restraint while the "fans" have hurled abuse at him at shows and on Twitter. He's also done a huge amount of work for the Make A Wish Foundation, working hard to give a piece of himself back to the fans who have put him back where he is. I think he's an all round good guy, and the people that claim to 'hate him' are obviously incapable of separating the real John Cena with the character.

·
Rolex Bomb Defuser
410 Posts

I don't look up to people I don't know.

But I do admire Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, The Rock, **** Foley and a few others.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I can actually agree with that i mean alot of people hate him, but hes a great guy outside the ring for all the work he does

·
Registered
3 Posts

I don't look up to people I don't know.

But I do admire Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, The Rock, **** Foley and a few others.
aww, come on everyones had a person on TV they've seen when they are younger who they look up to a role model of sorts, you've had to at least had that lol :p

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts

I'd say Edge. It's quite remarkable that he came from a not-so-spectacular background, with no dad and not a whole lot of money; and he still became one of the most successful professional wrestlers ever. Not to mention he apparently stayed grounded, because judging by all reports he is a really kind, professional, warm-spirited guy to be around. Christian's Hall of Fame induction of Edge said it all really, and that's probably one of the best things is that he did it with his best friend in the world.

·
I know, it's been a while.
3,272 Posts

I always looked up to Triple H as a kid. From the quad tear and coming back when no one gave him a chance.

Also more current, After watching the Orton DVD I have so much respect for him. He's basically turned his life around and attitude after starting a family.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts

John Cena.

- He just seemed to be a decent guy and awesome role model.

·
Registered
626 Posts

The Rock, Stone Cold, Triple H, CM Punk and Chris Jericho.

·
Banned
6,531 Posts

Triple H because he dosen't give a fack about anyone but himself and knows what it takes to stay on top.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts