Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ROH TV Tapings Spoilers:

From the DuBurns Arena in Baltimore, Maryland:

*Lance Storm is coming in for the return date on 6/29, facing Mike Bennett.

Dark:
*The Bravados defeated Fushion DS.

Episode One:
*They have to film the opening twice as the crowd was chanting "Yes!" a little too enthusiastically.

*Adam Cole pinned Mike Mondo with a backslide in a really good match.

*A pissed off Tomaso Ciampa tears through Nick Westgate, winning via ref stoppage after knees and elbows. The assault continues after the bout!

*All Night Express defeated Caprice Coleman and Cedric Alexander.

Episode Two:
*ROH champion Kevin Steen comes out for a promo. The idea here is that the company hates he is their champion. He threatens to go to the "ROH Affiliates dinner" and embarrass Jim Cornette. Cornette is about to announce Steen's first challenger when Davey Richards comes out and declares he and Steen are the two best in the world. They end up setting up a match for the Best in the World 2012 iPPV with the stipulation being it is Richards' last shot.

*Michael Elgin defeated Matt Taven with a spinning powerbomb.

*There is a segment where the All Night Express challenge Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin for the ROH Tag Team titles at Best in the World. That match is signed. They have a face off the challengers clear the ring and stand tall.

*Eddie Edwards defeated Davey Richards in a super match. Richards was brawling with Jimmy Jacobs. Edwards rolled up Davey and avoiding a missle dropkick.

Online Match:
*ROH TV champion Roderick Strong pinned Adam Cole to win a Four Way bout also featuring Jay Lethal and Mike Bennett.

Episode Three:
*Mike Bennett bears someone who's name we didn't catch. He and Bob Evans work the newbie over. Eddie Edwards makes the save. A challenge is issued for Edwards to face Brutal Bob next week.

*ROH champ Kevin Steen asked that his match against Davey Richards be No DQ.

*The Briscos defeated two names I didn't catch. Truth Martino challenged them to face the House of Truth at Best in the World.

*ROH TV champion Roderick Strong defeated Tomasso Ciampa via DQ when Prince Nana interfered hit his finisher and had the match won.

*Eddie Edwards pinned Brutal Bob Evams with a backslide despite interference from Mike Bennett. Homicide made the save, clears the ring and then hit Edwards with the Cop Killa.

*Jay Lethal beat Silvio. There was a three way brawl between Lethal, Ciampa and Strong.

*Kevin Steen & Jimmy Jacobs battle Kyle O'Reilly & Davey Richards to a no contest in a highspot brawl.
http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/238875/Ring-of-Honor-Taping-Results-(SPOILERS).htm
Forgot how to do spoiler tags rights. :( :confused:

Best in the World Main Event Spoilers:

ROH BEST IN THE WORLD MAIN EVENT SPOILER
by Mike Specian @ 8:57 PM on 5/18/2012

The main event for the Best in the World PPV next month will be a rematch between Kevin Steen and Davey Richards. It will be Davey's one and only shot at the ROH Title.

EDIT: Later in the Sinclare tapings, Steen asked for the match to be a no DQ match.

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
Wish Lance would face someone else. Don't think a third match is really needed.

Called the two title matches for BITW. Not much interest in either.

Doubt anyone really cares for Cide being back again. Might help that he's working heel. Giving Eddie/Davey away for free on TV unannounced before the tapings feels odd.

Was that online match to set up a title match or am I thinking of something else?

The idea here is that the company hates he is their champion
but the fans don't so therefore the fans hate the company? Hmmm.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
ROH May 18th TV Tapings

Dunno if there's a thread already (probably not) and there wasn't one started yet so here's what happened.

Dark match was Bravados vs. Fusion DS. Lots of fun simple STF match with the Bravados working face. Fusion DS were surprisingly good.

EPISODE 1

Mike Mondo vs. Adam Cole opened and was pretty good. Mondo did some cool shit. He's all right. Makes the most out of having no character except "heel". Kid in front of me was a HUGE Mondo fan. Good for him I guess. Mondo was super over in general. As much, if not more so, than Cole. Kind of surprising maybe? Cole won with a backslide and got a decent pop so I guess it's fine.

Ciampa kicks the shit out of some dude with trunks that looked like AJ Styles'. Got an "AJ Styles" chant from the mouthbreathing smark a few rows behind me who thought he was the smartest guy in the room. Ciampa won with knee strikes to the head causing the ref to stop it. Looked badass. Ciampa seemed super pissed.

The main event was ANX vs. Coleman/Alexander and it wasn't very good. Bland, uninspired wrestling with no heat. Some flashy moves but nothing that really held my interest. ANX won I think.

Steen came out next and got a huge pop. Said some stuff about how he would bust out the tuxedo t-shirt for the affiliates' dinner or something. Was comfortable on the mic, obviously. Corino came out with Steen and Jacobs and said that it wasn't a ruse, but he wished it had been. Started shit talking Cornette and Cornette came out and said he picked the challenger for BITW. Davey came out, got mad at Cornette, and said he wanted to fight Steen because he's the best or something and he's back to the old Davey Richards who "speaks his mind." Seemed like a lame way to keep him face, but whatever. Steen/Davey again in NYC, Davey's only shot.

EPISODE 2

(might have started with the Steen/Davey/Cornette thing above, but they did the whole intro for the episode after it)

Elgin beat Matt Taven. Taven got in a ton of offense, like the amount Cole got at Border Wars. It was passable. Not fantastic, but it worked.

Haas and Benjamin came out and did a shitty interview bit that nobody cared about. ANX came out and they made a match for BITW, or was the match already made? Don't know, don't really care. They started brawling and Haas took the absolute worst bumps of the night. Not sickest, just ugly, clumsy, slow bumps that made everyone look bad. Then they did an "ow we're so hurt" pose on the ramp for like five times longer than anyone else. Looked terrible. Fuck off. At least they didn't wrestle.

Eddie Edwards beat Davey Richards. Had some decent stuff in it because Richards worked heel a bit and Edwards was crazy over, but eventually it fell apart and turned into Edwards vs. Richards and really sucked. Crowd was hot but the match was still pretty shit for the most part. Finish was straight out of the worst parts of the HDNet playbook: Jacobs comes out, distracts Richards, Richards does a missile dropkick that I guess Edwards was supposed to counter but he didn't so Davey just kind of fell and Edwards rolled him up for the win. Looked bad.

There was a four-way with Strong and Bennett and Cole and Lethal for a title shot in Pittsburgh that Strong won. It was pretty bad. Not sure where it'll air, Edwards/Richards was announced as a main event.

Then there was an intermission. It was pretty short, but I had enough time to buy a Gatorade so it was fine.

EPISODE THREE

Mike Bennett beat someone who looked like Alex Payne with more muscles, had "AP" on his trunks, and was introduced as something that sounded like Alex Payne. The guy behind me was making "here comes the pain" jokes that nobody was laughing at so I think it might have been Alex Payne. If it was, nobody called him Sugarfoot which would make me sad if it was in fact THE Alex Payne. It might be. He's been gone a while.

After that match Bennett and Brutal Bob beat on maybe-Sugarfoot for a while before Eddie Edwards, sporting gym shorts over his wrestling gear, came out to make the save. Bennett said Edwards couldn't beat him, he couldn't even beat Brutal Bob. Bennett challenged Edwards to wrestle Bob "next week." I don't think Edwards gets enough credit for being a good natural talker. I remember him being pretty awful so maybe it's that people still think that? Dunno. He was good here.

Steen, Corino, and Jacobs came out. Davey said "bring your piledriver, bring your boys, bring whatever you want" in the promo before so Steen wants a no DQ match in NYC. We never found out if he'd get it.

Briscoes had a shitty squash. I was dismayed at how many Briscoes fans there were. Holy fuck they're absolutely worthless in the ring. This was much worse than the Bravados dark match. Nothing interesting, nobody looked good. After the match Truth Martini challenged the Briscoes to a match in NYC against his "guardians of truth" and the Briscoes said Truth could "bring whoever he wants" and they'll have a shitty match with them and bury them for months.

Strong/Ciampa was a TV main event and was passable. Fans got behind Roddy. Finish came when Ciampa hit his finisher and had him pinned and Nana stomped Roddy a whole bunch and Ciampa got DQ'd. Ciampa was pissed again. Not super great but passable.

EPISODE FOUR

Edwards beat Brutal Bob in a match that was surprisingly competitive. Not even a bad match. Bob's offense included the deadlift drop and the swinging drop. Edwards had to win with a backslide because apparently they're protecting Brutal Bob now. Fuck. Bennett and Bob beat up Edwards until Homicide's music hit. He came down and Bennett and Brutal Bob left. He helped Edwards up but Edwards wasn't going to shake his hand. Homicide was all "I helped you!" and Edwards relented, but then Homicide hit him with the Cop Killa. I marked like a little kid. Not because I care about what Homicide does any more, but because it was the fucking Cop Killa, man!

Jay Lethal had his best match since coming back to ROH with Chris Silvio. That's a backhanded compliment because I haven't liked any matches Lethal's had, but seriously this match was pretty damn good. Silvio controlled most of it and stayed one step ahead of Lethal the whole time until he kept trying to go back to a grounded chinlock and Lethal started countering it. Really good underdog heel story here, definitely worth a watch. Maybe MOTN? Not sure. During the match, Nana and R.D. Evans were on the ramp looking at each other and nodding. Truth Martini came out and they had a three-way look at each other and nod fest. Eventually Strong and Ciampa came out. Ciampa was mad at Nana and Evans and was wearing a Jay Lethal t-shirt. He gets in the ring after the match and flashes this really fucking great "you like this, motherfucker?" look at Lethal while showing him the Lethal shirt he has on. Ciampa was really good all night. Whenever he was out, my attention was drawn to him. He's got a presence, which a lot of the other guys don't have. Then Strong and Ciampa and Lethal all brawl so I guess it's a three-way at BITW.

Last main event was Steen/Jacobs vs. Richards/O'Reilly. Some fun stuff here. Steen and Jacobs beat the shit out of O'Reilly and it was super fun. Then Richards got involved and it was less fun. Fans fucking hated Davey. HATED him. That made it more fun. Finish came when Jacobs had the End Time on O'Reilly and went through the timekeeper's table. Sinclair called it a no-contest and then there was a brawl. Davey got on the mic and said some stuff. Corino was on commentary so I think he called him out? Don't really remember. They kept brawling and some guys came out from the locker room to break it up. Brawl was decent. O'Reilly sold the End Time through the table the whole way through which was cool. He's a lot of fun to watch get beat up.

Overall I had a pretty good time. Can't make the next tapings but I'll probably be back in July. Wrestling was better than I expected it to be, honestly, and I got to see a Cop Killa in person. That was cool. Steen was great in all the in-ring talking segments. Played his character perfectly and the crowd was super hot for him.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Yeah, it's in Pittsburgh the week after BITW. Didn't know it was going online though. makes sense I guess.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Davey Richards needs to turn heel ASAP or this company will go to hell, I swear.

but eventually it fell apart and turned into Edwards vs. Richards and really sucked. Crowd was hot but the match was still pretty shit for the most part.
I believe this is the first time I see you saying something like this. You're usually like "It was bad, but the crowd was hot, so they made it good." Bullshit. Bad match is bad. You're finally learning. :p
Mike Bennett beat someone who looked like Alex Payne with more muscles, had "AP" on his trunks, and was introduced as something that sounded like Alex Payne. The guy behind me was making "here comes the pain" jokes that nobody was laughing at so I think it might have been Alex Payne. If it was, nobody called him Sugarfoot which would make me sad if it was in fact THE Alex Payne. It might be. He's been gone a while.
:lmao

*There is a segment where the All Night Express challenge Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin for the ROH Tag Team titles at Best in the World. That match is signed. They have a face off the challengers clear the ring and stand tall.
Don't they have a title match at a DVD show BEFORE Best In The World?

*Eddie Edwards defeated Davey Richards in a super match. Richards was brawling with Jimmy Jacobs. Edwards rolled up Davey and avoiding a missle dropkick.
On free TV? My, oh, my...

Online Match:
:kobe

*Eddie Edwards pinned Brutal Bob Evams with a backslide despite interference from Mike Bennett. Homicide made the save, clears the ring and then hit Edwards with the Cop Killa.
I like Eddie, I LOVE Bennett, but this hopefully means their (good) feud is over.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Sounds like a fun taping. Richards vs. Edwards is not a match I would do at PPV again, so haven't on free tv is sweet.

Mike Bennett and Lance Storm having a rubber match makes sense.

The idea here is that the company hates he is their champion
but the fans don't so therefore the fans hate the company? Hmmm.
That was the basis of Austin vs. McMahon.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That was the basis of Austin vs. McMahon.
Only ROH is still (kinda?) booking Steen as a heel, despite his popularity. Plus it doesn't have a widely despised McMahon-style figurehead for Steen to bang heads with, so the comparison doesn't hold water & the dynamic remains unnecessarily awkward.

·
Premium Member
27,697 Posts
It feels like they're gonna turn Davey at BITW by having Cornette screw Steen out of the title with the No DQ stip likely being added.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
I could see that but I could also see O'Reilly turning on Davey to give him something to do until Final Battle.

Don't they have a title match at a DVD show BEFORE Best In The World?
It's today in Richmond. No idea why they made it a title match if they're just going to go again at BITW. Guess we'll see wacky Briscoe interference for the DQ to pump up Haas/Jay at the end of the night (Ugh.) Ciampa's decent sounds interesting but everything else just seems there from the tapings.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Only ROH is still (kinda?) booking Steen as a heel, despite his popularity. Plus it doesn't have a widely despised McMahon-style figurehead for Steen to bang heads with, so the comparison doesn't hold water & the dynamic remains unnecessarily awkward.
Um...... Davey vs. Eddie, Steen vs. Roddy. So who's the face here and who's the heel?:jericho

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
The tag at the end of the show last night was structured weirdly. Even though Richards and O'Reilly were getting booed out of the building, they still kind of worked babyface, with O'Reilly taking the beatdown and Richards getting the hot tag. Not that I really minded because I love reverse STF probably more than standard STF (see: Steen/Tozawa vs. RockNES Monsters), but ROH appears to have no clue whether Davey is supposed to be a heel or not. He did some jawing with the fans and spit at people in the crowd a few times I think, but the segment where they booked Steen/Davey was dreadful because they flat-out refused to have either wrestler be straight-up heel. Davey was getting good heat all night, but he'd have gotten more if they'd just quit the shades of grey bullshit they've been doing for months.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The tag at the end of the show last night was structured weirdly. Even though Richards and O'Reilly were getting booed out of the building, they still kind of worked babyface, with O'Reilly taking the beatdown and Richards getting the hot tag. Not that I really minded because I love reverse STF probably more than standard STF (see: Steen/Tozawa vs. RockNES Monsters), but ROH appears to have no clue whether Davey is supposed to be a heel or not. He did some jawing with the fans and spit at people in the crowd a few times I think, but the segment where they booked Steen/Davey was dreadful because they flat-out refused to have either wrestler be straight-up heel. Davey was getting good heat all night, but he'd have gotten more if they'd just quit the shades of grey bullshit they've been doing for months.
I love how they are booking Davey, i mean IMO is logical, he´s a babyface but he is tired of the people that chant and support Steen, because in this mind they are wrong doing it.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for making this into a thread, I thought about doing it don't know why I didn't.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Its not awkward, the fans clearly pick their side. Cornette may not be a full blown heel but he is a figurehead that get boos when he is against Steen. ROH is actually more realistic because Cornette is not over the top like Mcmahon. Cornette is like Roger Goodell, depending on the situation he is either the good or bad guy. In real life, most bosses is like that.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Okay, so some folks dig the 'more realistic' murkiness & that's cool. I'm just not completely convinced it's what ROH is aiming for. I still suspect that certain attempts at old-school heel vs. face booking have been rejected by large sections of the audience, leaving Cornette & co. scrambling to adjust their plans. It was definitely the case with Briscoes vs. WWTT at Final Battle & I'm sure there's an element of it at play in Steen vs. ROH.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Okay, so some folks dig the 'more realistic' murkiness & that's cool. I'm just not completely convinced it's what ROH is aiming for. I still suspect that certain attempts at old-school heel vs. face booking have been rejected by large sections of the audience, leaving Cornette & co. scrambling to adjust their plans. It was definitely the case with Briscoes vs. WWTT at Final Battle & I'm sure there's an element of it at play in Steen vs. ROH.
Yeah, and they're readjusting poorly. The Briscoes couldn't get over as heels because they're shitty at it, WGTT couldn't get over as faces because they're shitty. Clearly the answer is to pair them up for another half a year!

Davey is the most over heel wrestler in ROH right now and they're not capitalizing on it. To his credit, Davey is, but there was this huge disconnect between the in-ring talking segment Davey Richards and the wrestling Davey Richards last night, which is a bad thing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts