Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Holy damn. This might be jumping the gun but after this year this could be the end of ROH. I mean if their gonna release all their talents from their contracts and it doesn't say at that time when they'll be back..many ROH wrestlers could find new homes in many other promotions.

Don't know if its true but just a random on Twitter said someone was dipping into the ROH funds and thats why their here now their money is really low

·
Registered
13,074 Posts

Holy damn. This might be jumping the gun but after this year this could be the end of ROH. I mean if their gonna release all their talents from their contracts and it doesn't say at that time when they'll be back..many ROH wrestlers could find new homes in many other promotions.

Don't know if its true but just a random on Twitter said someone was dipping into the ROH funds and thats why their here now their money is really low

it wouldnt be the end when the statement said they area going to reimagine roh and pretty much re launch in april. its clearly a rebrand from head to toe and restarting the roster from scratch. this will ever finally be what roh needed or it will not work. either way roh needed something as it was just not gaining traction over so many years.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
Natural Bliss
5,053 Posts
impact outlasted ROH...

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't know how you relaunch a product down the line without a talent roster. It looks to me like they are done.

Here is the thing about ROH. At the core of their product traditionally, it represented a fundamental alternative to the WWE/AEW sports entertainment drivel. The problem is, nobody who owned them spent money on the product. The presentation looked cheap, they lost wrestlers who went on to be big stars elsewhere & they were on TV stations with not a lot of exposure or chance to get larger audiences. The over reliance on the New Japan deal killed the company's ability to make new stars.

The bottom line is, there is no value in being a feeder organization unless a more richer company is paying you develop their talent. ROH served as a launching point for some of the biggest names in wrestling but it never benefited the company itself.

·
Registered
12,430 Posts
I am getting ecw on tnn vibes.

What do ROH fans want too see besides good wrestling matches? Do you want more silly stuff like Danhausen? Less women wrestling? Less lucha? No more code of honor? More promos?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I am getting ecw on tnn vibes.

What do ROH fans want too see besides good wrestling matches? Do you want more silly stuff like Danhausen? Less women wrestling? Less lucha? No more code of honor? More promos?

i think they need to be more well rounded. roh has always come off to much of a matches promotion. I think the problem is a lot of companies these days are trying to have range but are all doing a bad job at connecting with fans. It will either be really good or its going to flop for them. either way what they have been doing for so long is no longer working and it needs a new vision. that means they cant have a lots of great matches but maybe needs a wider range of story telling and wider idenity.

look at wcw for an example of having epic matches but still had a good idenity and stories

·
Registered
944 Posts
From what i've gathered; this is mostly Sinclair related. They are in extreme debt; due to buying the FOX Sport RSN's... like 12B in debt; mainly attributed to the sports acquisition; so even if ROH was doing decent; Sinclair needed to cut cost & liquidate assets. Not to mention; ROH hasn't been running live events. You need need a huge roster; if you aren't doing live events. I fully believe IF ROH thought they were in any financial trouble for their division; they wouldn't pay the roster for 18 months; and not run shows. Makes no sense.

Seems like the tape library isn't for sale; but i assume the price is out there; and if WWE/AEW wanted to make an substantial offer; i'm sure they'd consider it.

Releasing the whole roster while alarming at first; and certainly not something i would do; i'm sure 50-75% of the talent; will be around in April. While yes; they will likely lose a DanHausen, PCO, Rush, Brody King, Dragon Lee; ETC.... a majority of those guys were leaving when their contracts were up anyways. This gives them a reset; and a change in contract structure which will allow them to bring in more special guest/ potential dream matches. While not perfect; as your champs can leave at any point. It worked OK in the past. Think can build around guys like Tony Deppen/ Chris Dickinson and others. Potentially using some impact & AEW wrestlers for select shows. If they aren't selling; i don't think it will be that difficult to rebuild. Look at how many names; WWE and MLW has released recently. Plus AEW & Impact are really the only promotions hiring. AEW is beyond full; and i don't see Impact being able to absorb a ton more contracts. WWE has released like 120 wrestlers in the last 2 years.

I'm hoping for the best; for the wrestlers and the company. With or without Sinclair.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sinclair was dumb for buying local cable sports networks when people are cord cutting and less people are even watching sports. Moreover, it seems like sports leagues will launch their own streaming networks soon virtually leaving sinclars networks without any content.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Sinclair was dumb for buying local cable sports networks when people are cord cutting and less people are even watching sports. Moreover, it seems like sports leagues will launch their own streaming networks soon virtually leaving sinclars networks without any content.
Yeah; i'm by far an expert in this area; but on paper i could see why they wanted it. Sports is a prime reason people still do watch live TV. I don't know if Sinclair did their full research before the massive purchase. It sounds like; and from what i recall; even after they purchased; they needed to get a loan; to "improve/expand" their streaming capability. Sounds like they "lost" deals with the streaming cable services like Youtube TV and Hulu TV; after raising the cost to carry. I believe they lost some deals with some of the 30-40 sports organizations that originally aired on these stations... and/or lost the streaming rights. Basically bought into this huge investment; without having a solid plan in place.

Not to mention; Sinclair just doesn't seem to "get it" .... For Example the STIRR app they launched. Their mismanagement of the Fox Sports networks; now known as Bally Sports; their inability to air ROH on their own networks. Their lack of promotion, etc.

At this point; i hope Sinclair sells ROH to Tony Khan or Anthem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah; i'm by far an expert in this area; but on paper i could see why they wanted it. Sports is a prime reason people still do watch live TV. I don't know if Sinclair did their full research before the massive purchase. It sounds like; and from what i recall; even after they purchased; they needed to get a loan; to "improve/expand" their streaming capability. Sounds like they "lost" deals with the streaming cable services like Youtube TV and Hulu TV; after raising the cost to carry. I believe they lost some deals with some of the 30-40 sports organizations that originally aired on these stations... and/or lost the streaming rights. Basically bought into this huge investment; without having a solid plan in place.

Not to mention; Sinclair just doesn't seem to "get it" .... For Example the STIRR app they launched. Their mismanagement of the Fox Sports networks; now known as Bally Sports; their inability to air ROH on their own networks. Their lack of promotion, etc.

At this point; i hope Sinclair sells ROH to Tony Khan or Anthem.
Or FITE could buy them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts