Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ring of Honor his West Virginia for the very first time on June 15th and as part of our debut there we will tape “Road Rage” for future episodes of “Ring of Honor Wrestling” TV! Several matches were set over the weekend for this huge debut including the World Title match we alluded to last week…

- ROH World Title Match - “Wrestling’s Worst Nightmare” Kevin Steen defends “Die Hard” Eddie Edwards

It was announced in the May 17th Newswire that the World Title would be on the line in Charleston with three former World champions names in the hat: Davey Richards, Roderick Strong, and Eddie Edwards. The selection was made and it will be “Die Hard” who will get the very first shot at dethroning Kevin Steen! When these two met one-on-one at “Final Countdown: Boston”, it resulted in Eddie suffering a fractured elbow and at "Showdown in the Sun - Day 2", Steen beat Eddie via a roll-up. With the World Title on the line, what will Eddie risk to regain it and what will Steen risk to keep it?

- Texas Death Match - The Final Encounter - Jay Briscoe vs. Charlie Haas

Using the rules of the game, Charlie Haas managed to squeak out another win over Jay Briscoe on Saturday night in Richmond during their unsanctioned fight. After the loss, Jay challenged Charlie to one last match between the two men, a Texas Death match, and ROH officials immediately signed this final encounter for Charleston. He can’t win the tag titles back, but will Jay finally make Charlie pay for everything he’s done in the last few months?

- Jay Lethal vs. “Unbreakable” Michael Elgin with Truth Martini

Michael Elgin has had a banner year in 2012, so was Jay Lethal before the combined machinations of The House of Truth & The Embassy conspired to cost him the ROH TV Title. Now in Charleston, Lethal and Elgin will lock horns as the former TV Champion looks to gain a measure of revenge against the HoT. Lethal is on a heck of a hot streak after ending Tommaso Ciampa’s undefeated streak & beating Roderick in their 2/3 Falls contest in Dayton, will “Unbreakable” be the man to bring a stop to Lethal’s run?

Also Signed To Appear:
- Current ROH World Television Champion Roderick Strong with Truth Martini
- BJ Whitmer
- Mark Briscoe
- Davey Richards
- The All Night Express (Rhett Titus & Kenny King)
- Steve Corino
- Kyle O’Reilly
- Adam Cole
- “No Fear” Mike Mondo
- Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander

Keep an eye on ROHWrestling.com for more details and match announcements as we get closer to Friday night June 15th and our highly-anticipated debut in Charleston, WV! Get your tickets now!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
3 titles defenses in 1 month are too many in short amount of time for my taste
I count two: One in West Virginia, one in NYC. And I think the more title defenses, the better. One thing I hated about Davey's reign was if you did the math, he didn't even defend the strap once a month. Ten defenses in 320+ days is inexcusable and hurts the prestige of the championship. The best way to build up the title, in my opinion, is by making it a hot commodity everyone in the locker room wants and is gunning for. I wasn't an ROH fan during Nigel's reign, but when I started watching, I looked up his reign and saw he defended the thing 38 times. That showed me how great a champion he was, how important the title was and how much ROH trusted McGuinness himself to carry it.

I always find title matches more compelling than random main event tag matches, most of which hold no importance and tell little story. Pitting the champ against whomever guarantees you at least some sort of story, even if that's just "I want the title and will do whatever it takes to win it."

·
Registered
613 Posts
I count two: One in West Virginia, one in NYC. And I think the more title defenses, the better. One thing I hated about Davey's reign was if you did the math, he didn't even defend the strap once a month. Ten defenses in 320+ days is inexcusable and hurts the prestige of the championship. The best way to build up the title, in my opinion, is by making it a hot commodity everyone in the locker room wants and is gunning for. I wasn't an ROH fan during Nigel's reign, but when I started watching, I looked up his reign and saw he defended the thing 38 times. That showed me how great a champion he was, how important the title was and how much ROH trusted McGuinness himself to carry it.

I always find title matches more compelling than random main event tag matches, most of which hold no importance and tell little story. Pitting the champ against whomever guarantees you at least some sort of story, even if that's just "I want the title and will do whatever it takes to win it."
I say three counting that Strong earns a title match in Pittsburgh. The problem with the Richards´reign was that coincided with the beginning of the SBG era and was a period without an iPPV for 4 months. Is a personal opinion but i don´t like the pointless defenses without promoting only for the sake of defend the title, i think that with a TV show they should defense the title in every iPPV and sometines in TV, defend it 1/2 per month, more in my opinion is overbooking, look at Joe & Dragon reign for example, both reigns had been equal awesome with less defenses.

·
Registered
11,725 Posts
I find it interesting that Haas is getting a lot of single matches. I think most people realize Shelton is the weak link. Haas is definitely one of the best heels in the company at the moment and pretty damn great at it.

Warning: this is not a TNA vs. ROH rant; I find it funny how TNA fans are excited Roode is about to break AJ Styles record of 210 days or something like that when Davey Richards hold the title for 320 days and actually produce MOYT type matches(Roode hasn't) but ROH fans think Richards suck as champion. 10 defenses is enough, I hate the unwritten rule in wrestling of defending the title every 30 days. Title matches should feel special and like events, having too many defenses can take away that special feeling. Tanahashi defended the IWGP title 11 times in 404 days and every single one was a big deal.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I find it interesting that Haas is getting a lot of single matches. I think most people realize Shelton is the weak link. Haas is definitely one of the best heels in the company at the moment and pretty damn great at it.

Warning: this is not a TNA vs. ROH rant; I find it funny how TNA fans are excited Roode is about to break AJ Styles record of 210 days or something like that when Davey Richards hold the title for 320 days and actually produce MOYT type matches(Roode hasn't) but ROH fans think Richards suck as champion. 10 defenses is enough, I hate the unwritten rule in wrestling of defending the title every 30 days. Title matches should feel special and like events, having too many defenses can take away that special feeling. Tanahashi defended the IWGP title 11 times in 404 days and every single one was a big deal.
THIS.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The reason Haas is getting the singles matches is because Benjamin is booked elsewhere. And actually, while I agree Haas is the more stable and solid workhorse, Benjamin singles matches will do a lot more for people's interest. It's baffling to me they have only had him in TWO singles matches in the over year he has been under contract. So many matches to explore and I wouldn't be surprised if they never touch half of them, and that goes for Haas as well. I think most people would disagree with you, though, and say Haas is the weak link of the team.

It's funny to me they book a show like Richmond, which is a return market, people pay the same amount for tickets, and this show already laps it about 10 times.

Also, DR defended the title eight times in his almost 10 month reign in ROH and not a single one of them felt like a big deal except maybe the one he lost it in. It's fine when it's done right, but in theory Cornette would want to throw every challenger at Steen, so I have no problem if he defends it every show, it makes sense.

ROH booking just flat out sucks, that's why everything above has happened/is happening.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
They've already booked Steen/Richards II for a PPV, so what's the point of Steen/Edwards? Now we simply know Edwards has no chance, because they're spoiling themselves.

·
Usertitle ist hier
11,699 Posts

YEAH, BUT FLIPS, ATHLETICISM AND STUFF.

Me and Legend have spent years championing Charlie. I have always wanted to see him go alone somewhere like ROH where he'd get the chance to impress. When ANX take the belts, this should happen for a while. I'd be down for Haas/Steen, Haas/Edwards, hell, even Haas/Elgin would interest me.

It'd also add to what is becoming an increasingly fresher main event picture, what with Edwards and Strong dropping out of it, but for the odd appearance.

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
Ring of Honor his West Virginia for the very first time on June 15th and as part of our debut there we will tape “Road Rage” for future episodes of “Ring of Honor Wrestling” TV!
So these matches will air on TV right? Presuming after BITW but yeah Eddie/Steen for the title doesn't make much sense after Davey/Steen was announced for a later date.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Haas had one of the worst matches in ROH last year with Elgin. Right up there with WGTT-Cabana/Generico and all the WGTT-Briscoes matches. Sensing a trend? Also, he's the worst bumper in ROH and can't make his opponents look good for shit. I'm comfortable calling him the worst worker in ROH, and Shelton sucks too.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Didn't Haas also have a meh singles match with Davey? Heel turn has been good for Haas's promos but not much else for WGTT and I hope this is the last match between them for awhile because it's just numbing to watch them right now. Elgin/Lethal and Edwards/Steen do look good though.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Haas had one of the worst matches in ROH last year with Elgin. Right up there with WGTT-Cabana/Generico and all the WGTT-Briscoes matches. Sensing a trend? Also, he's the worst bumper in ROH and can't make his opponents look good for shit. I'm comfortable calling him the worst worker in ROH, and Shelton sucks too.
What was so bad on Elgin - Haas? it was a **1/2 match.. Nothing wrong.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
It was an ugly clumsy nine-minute botchfest full of terrible bumping in which Elgin barely got any offense and got pinned after a clothesline. It was a waste of time that accomplished nothing and destroyed any monster cred Elgin had built up to that point.

And yeah he had a shit match with Davey too. That was when people started to realize that WGTT were bad.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
It was an ugly clumsy nine-minute botchfest full of terrible bumping in which Elgin barely got any offense and got pinned after a clothesline. It was a waste of time that accomplished nothing and destroyed any monster cred Elgin had built up to that point.

And yeah he had a shit match with Davey too. That was when people started to realize that WGTT were bad.
Haven't saw his match with Davey, but i heard some great reviews about it, some guys gave it ****...

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Yeah, that match was bad.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I don't trust Haas in singles either, though maybe he can bring more character now that he's a heel. Not a lot of faith in the match-type, though, since it'll probably be the hitting a dude with a gimmick and wandering around, rinse and repeat, plus Southern-style heat that doesn't work on me when I'm not there live.

I blame Haas entirely for the crappy Richards match. He tried to wrestle the big-time indy style but didn't understand how to make any of it work. At multiple points he wanted a no-sell comeback, but to do it, he just stood up, making everything that came before look fake. He couldn't wrestle sequences, he blew the sprints, and he couldn't even stay believably aggressive on the mat, which is what you'd expect him to do.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Haas (and Benjamin) shouldn't be trying to wrestle the "indy" style as it's not their strong suit tbh. They work best when the pace is slower thus allowing for a clearer beginning, middle and end to their matches. I wish they would stop trying to appeal to others and work a style that they're not only more comfortable with but plays to their strength as well, which would make for better performances in the end.

EDIT:
Really looking forward to Steen/Edwards, those two work well together. Lethal and Elgin should be a great match as well.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts