Wrestling Forum banner
4181 - 4195 of 4195 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Good PPV. Jonathan Gresham is an amazing wrestler.

That Tony Deppin spot on dragon Lee was sick. That dive Canadian destroyer type.

It's my first taste of ROH in over a year and a half.

Delighted Bandido is the champ. Rush character wise doesn't make sense. When he hit him with the bulls horns. Why not cover and try to win, the match within seconds? Stupid thing character wise to do.

I hope ROH gets a good TV deal somewhere.
I forgot to mention it here; but really like the Best in the World PPV. A nice mix of wrestling top and bottom; and really nothing bad in the 4 hour show. Bandido as champ makes a lot of sense; although i didn't see it coming.

Unfortuately they are owned by SBG and are locked into these regional channel deals so they air on different channels at different days/time. They are taped now too; so it's really hard to keep a buzz going ; without being live; and really going all-out to grow the viewership. So SBG is kind of a gift and a curse. I wish they realized they could air more content live on other channels as a "A" show; and then supplemental "B" shows on the SBG networks. They just would need to record live about once a week like AEW; and have 3 hours to work with. They could basically make the current TV show 1 to 2 hours live; then use week by week as a 1 hour supplemental show; with like 2 dark matches. I think this fixes a lot of problems; but i think ROH wants to see how things pan out over the next 6-12 with live events and crowds. The other problem is you have a ton of wrestling already out there. Finding a day/timeslot with a major network could be a challenge in itself.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I think ROH's long term future is Best on the Planet, their 24/7 digital feed that you can currently find on STIRR, Plex, or via browser.

They are eventually going to launch it as a standalone over the air television channel that you will be able to pick up the same way you get Stadium, Charge, Comet, TBD, ThisTV, LaffTV, MeTV, Antenna TV, or other such digital subchannels today. Sinclair owns the patent on the new TV standard that is going to make it trivially easy for station owners to launch a ton more of these.

Eventually BOTP will be on over the air television, Twitch, Pluto, Fubo, Sling, and all the other digital outlets too.

I think eventually they'll get to a place where they're airing a 2 hour live weekly A-show with a 1 hour weekly B-show plus Week By Week, Honor Club events, and PPVs. The plan before the pandemic was to launch a weekly live show taped out of Sinclair owned studio in Baltimore and I think they'll eventually get there.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
It's crazy Gresham hasn't won the title yet but Rush,Bandido,PCO all have. Is his height holding him back?

·
Registered
937 Posts
It's crazy Gresham hasn't won the title yet but Rush,Bandido,PCO all have. Is his height holding him back?
Well.. to be fair...they really haven't heavily pushed Gresham in years past. He was getting better & better every year. His matches with Lethal really showed he could be a major player in the 2018 timeframe. 2019 he stepped up from a lower card guy to mid-card... but still wasn't really established yet as a main player. Was heating up in PWG too in 18-19.

Fast forward to the reboot in mid 2020, with the pure division, Jonathan Gresham has been a big star; and think they are waiting for him to lose the pure title before he goes for the world title.

To be fair; PCO is a legend with a large buzz when coming in. Rush is a Mexican legend, and Bandido has been a top performer since debuting. Hindsight is 20/20; but think Gresham has been used correctly since the reboot; and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Why would they?

He can't wrestle, his character wouldn't fit, and he'd probably make more than anybody else on the roster. He has absolutely zero value to ROH.
Can't wrestle? He had to deal with stupid stuff. He managed to get over two gimmicks with bad booking, I am sure he can make anything work in ROH.

He should make more than everyone. The current roster is struggling to sell 500 tickets at the ECW Arena. Mlw is outperforming ROH at the Ecw Arena.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Can't wrestle? He had to deal with stupid stuff. He managed to get over two gimmicks with bad booking, I am sure he can make anything work in ROH.

He should make more than anyone. The current roster is struggling to sell 500 tickets at the ECW Arena. Mlw is outperforming ROH at the Ecw Arena.
ROH is going to do better than the last time they ran the ECW arena, and the Baltimore show did better than the last time they ran Baltimore. That's the important thing. MLW in Philly is definitely a hotter product but ROH is still rebuilding.

ROH is a workrate promotion. Bray Wyatt is a slow, lumbering cartoon character. He belongs in a sports entertainment style promotion, not a promotion where your ring skills have to carry you. WWE, AEW, Impact, AAA, DDT are the promotions for Bray.

Bray may be a bigger star than everyone in ROH but he's not a star to the ROH audience. Enzo and Cass were more famous than most of the ROH roster when they came in and the fanbase hated them because they don't belong. Neither does Bray.

ROH will never be able to out "sports entertain" the other promotions. To bring in a guy like Wyatt would be a colossal waste of money. Wyatt wouldn't get over with the ROH audience.

IF they were going to overspend on someone they should've brought in Danielson, Joe, Punk, or Lesnar. Those are guys that would actually fit in ROH and move the needle.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Ring of Honor does need a serious injection but there aren’t many people I’d like to see less than Bray Wyatt in RoH.
ROH doesn't, though. What they need to do is continue to rebuild slowly and not try to take short cuts by bringing in splashy names that don't fit with their identity.

The last time they ran Baltimore before the pandemic they drew 1000. Best in the World drew 1250 with severe social distancing measures in place.

The last time they ran Philly they drew a pathetic 350 fans including comps for a one night show. For Glory By Honor they have already sold 277 tickets for night 1 and 318 tickets for night 2. Add three more weeks of sales, walk ups, and whatever comps they give out and they'll probably end up with 600-800 announced for each night.

They went 17 consecutive months getting 0 fans and they're drawing better than they were before the pandemic. The Philly numbers are pretty sad compared to 2018 and prior, there is no sugar coating that, but the fact of the matter is that ROH completely torpedoed their entire promotion in 2019.

Different markets will require different amounts of work to revive; clearly the brand is doing okay in Baltimore and clearly the competition in Philly is hurting ROH. But if ROH delivers on the two GBH shows this time, they'll likely sell out Philly next time.

Like I said, ROH can't compete with AEW or WWE when it comes to the sports entertainment style. If they try to they'll only highlight their weaknesses. What ROH needs to do is emphasize their strengths, which means moving away from cartoonish acts like Bray Wyatt (or PCO) and focusing on people like Gresham, Woods, Taylor, Bandido, etc.

There is no shortcut back to where ROH was before the collapse. They have the benefit of vast TV distribution and that clearly floated the promotion through the second half of 2019 and the pandemic era. Now they need to rebuild their touring base.

The way to do that is regain the trust of the fans by putting on great shows in the style that made Ring of Honor famous, not chasing after names that make no sense like Impact always does.

4181 - 4195 of 4195 Posts