Samoa Joe over KENTA
Kevin Steen over Adam Cole
Brian Danielson over Austin Aries
AJ Styles over Roderick Strong
Jay Lethal over Dalton Castle
Jay Briscoe over PCO
Nigel McGuinness over Tyler Black
CM Punk over Christopher Daniels

lol, the current and two-time champion (Rush) didn’t make it passed the first round. Neither did poor, cursed Matt Taven.
everyone I voted for in Round 2 made it to Round 3, in which I voted:
Samoa Joe over Kevin Steen
Brian Danielson over AJ Styles
Jay Briscoe over Jay Lethal
Nigel McGuinness over CM Punk

the only one that will most definitely go opposite of my voting is McGuinness going over Punk. But as I always say: “fuck CM Punk”

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
everyone I voted for in Round 2 made it to Round 3, in which I voted:
Samoa Joe over Kevin Steen
Brian Danielson over AJ Styles
Jay Briscoe over Jay Lethal
Nigel McGuinness over CM Punk

the only one that will most definitely go opposite of my voting is McGuinness going over Punk. But as I always say: “fuck CM Punk”
In round 4 I voted for
Samoa Joe over Bryan Danielson
Jay Lethal over CM Punk

·
Registered
3,099 Posts

Ring of Honor “Conquest Tour 2015: Hopkins”
April 25th, 2015
From the Hopkins Eisenhower Community Center in Hopkins, Minnesota
Commentators: Kevin Kelly and Steve Corino

Arya Daivari vs. Bobby Fish
Holy shit. Arya Daivari and his fucking dance are fucking ANNOYING. Does he still do that in the WWE? I’d imagine it’s the one reason Vince hired him. I haven’t rooted for Bobby Fish in years but I wanted him to kick Daivaris ass in this one. The match was good enough.
Winner: Bobby Fish

Four Corners Survival
The Romantic Touch vs. Will Ferrara vs. Beer City Bruiser vs. Cheeseburger
Of the million four corners survival matches I’ve seen this was probably the best one. These guys all worked really well together, especially Will Ferrara and Romantic Touch. I was very surprised by this match.
Winner: Will Ferrara

Michael Elgin vs. Caprice Coleman
This match had its moments and I like both these guys but really wasn’t firing on all cylinders for me. Caprice did bring everything he had against a much larger opponent.
Winner: Michael Elgin

Adam Page vs. ACH
This was a slow burner. It got really good by the end. Maybe not “really” good, but good.
Winner: Adam Cole

Danny Duggan vs. Arik Cannon
Duggan gets extra heel bonus points for wearing a Curt Hennig singlet in Minnesota. This was a good match that somehow made it off the bonus features and onto the main show.
Winner: Arik Cannon

ODB comes out for her match against (unknown) but Truth Martini comes out and berates her for associating with the Briscoes. He calls Jay Briscoe a “paper champion” and Jay Lethal the real champion. Then he challenges ODB to a match.

ODB vs. Truth Martini
I guess this served its purpose to further the Briscoe verses Lethal feud and lead into that match but it went on way too long.
Winner: Truth Martini (via assistance from Jay Lethal)

Silas Young vs. Roderick Strong
It was nice to see Silas have a competitive match but nothing new to see him lose. How the fuck is that loser RooooOOOOOoooooosh a two-time Ring of Honor champion and Silas is in another stupid tag team with some bozo? Silas Young should have been the guy to take the Bullet Club out of Ring of Honor. He’s that awesome.
Winner: Roderick Strong

War Machine vs. the Briscoes
These two have had some great, hard hitting matches against one another and this was one of them. Not the best but still good.
Winners: the Briscoes

For the Ring of Honor World Television Championship
Kyle O’Reilly vs. Jay Lethal (champion) w/Truth Martini
This match was a match. My interest in the show had pretty much dissipated by this point. Some may see it as an instant classic but it was too boring to be considered that.
Winner: time expires

Jay Lethal refuses to give the fans five more minutes when they start chanting “Man Up” and leaves. Jay Briscoe “MAN’S UP” and gives Kyle O’Reilly five more minutes against himself for the Ring of Honor World Heavyweight Championship.

For the Ring of Honor World Heavyweight Championship
Kyle O’Reilly vs. Jay Briscoe (champion)
The match never happens because Jay Lethal attacks both of them and causes a disqualification.
Winner: no contest
All hell breaks loose with Jay Lethal, Truth Martini, Mark Briscoe, Bobby Fish and ODB getting involved.
__
This show was okay. It was very low-key, even for a Ring of Honor show. The four corners survival match was the big surprise. Usually those are just throwaway, “give a few guys something to do tonight” matches but that one was fire. I doubt any of those guys will ever get a “best of” package but it would be on any of their sets. Aside from that there was nothing too interesting here. The matches were all “good” but nothing was “great”. A couple of the matches in the middle were obviously filler but I find that every time Ring of Honor is in Minnesota they pad the card with a couple questionable filler matches. The ending of the main event could have been great had they actually had a match. But the ending was still fun, especially the (not mentioned by me) improvisation when Truth Martini didn’t go through the table the first time.

Someone must have removed Steve Corinos filter before this show. He said some things he probably shouldn’t have. Some were funny. The stuff about Jerry Lawler was funny. The stuff about Magnum T.A....even I have limits.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Ring of Honor aren't really known for gimmicks or gimmick shows, and Michael Bennett is steaming garbage, so I entered this one with great trepidation.

Ring of Honor “Unauthorized: Michael Bennett’s Bachelor Party”
October 9th, 2014
From 115 Bourbon Street in Chicago, Illinois
Commentator: Steve Corino

Adam Cole (host of the bachelor party) enters the ring and welcomes the crowd to the show. Then he brings out Steve Corino, BJ Whitmer (who is tonight’s acting as tonights bouncer), Matt Taven and Michael Bennett. Then he gives Bennett a crown and some glowing gloves. Bennett gives them a gift too: shot glasses. They do shots (Adam Cole clearly doesn’t like hard liquor).

The House of Truth (Jay Lethal and Truth Martini) vs. reDRagon
This was actually pretty fun when Truth (who hadn’t wrestled a match for six years before this) got so into it that he ended up arm dragging everyone, including his partner and referee Todd Sinclair. Most people probably don’t know that he’s been training wrestlers for decades. You could tell Kyle O’Reilly really wanted to break character and just have fun in this match, which wasn’t a bad match at all.
Winners: reDRagon

Cheeseburger comes out and gets and Kingdoms shirt and is announced as unofficial member of the Kingdom tonight.

Leah Von Dutch, Veda Scott & Heather Patera vs. Taeler Hendrix, Scarlett Bordeaux & “Crazy” Mary Dobson
Wow, this was bad. It’s hard to pinpoint who waster weakest link: Leah Von Dutch, Heather Patera or Scarlett Bordeaux. It’s actually a miracle that no one died in this match.
Winners: Leah Von Dutch, Veda Scott & Heather Patera

Cheeseburger does some shots with the Kingdom.

Loser Cannot Drink Tonight
Roderick Strong vs. Mark Briscoe
I have never been more invested in the outcome of a match like I have this one. I expected more desperation from both.
Winner: Mark Briscoe

BJ Whitmer and the Kingdom check I.D.’s. Adam Cole brings Michael Bennett into the ring and brings Mad Man Pondo out. Then he forces Cheeseburger to have a match with Tommaso Ciampa.

Cheeseburger vs. Tommaso Ciampa
This made me sad.
Winner: no contest

Delirious comes out and challenges Ciampa to a real match.

Tommaso Ciampa vs. Delirious
This was an entertaining, silly, bar room brawl.
Winner: Tommaso Ciampa

The Kingdom get into the ring and bring Jimmy Jacobs out. They bring out the biggest buzzkills in Ring of Honor: ACH and Cedric Alexander.

ACH vs. Cedric Alexander
I’m sure this was a fine match but I think I’ve seen these guys wrestle one another over three hundred times now and I really don’t care to watch either of them anymore. Or “ever” in the case of Cedric Alexander.
Winner: Cedric Alexander

The Kingdom het back in the ring and Michael Bennett gets lap dances from his mom, J. Diesel and a girl I think they pulled from the crowd but then Maria Kanellis comes out and puts an end to it then dances for the girl from the audience, which is pretty much Michael Bennett’s life in a nutshell. Bennett then tries to get her to dance for him but she won’t. Again, the guy is the biggest cuck in wrestling.

No Disqualifications
Rhino vs. Jay Briscoe
This match barely got going before the Kingdom (who were all drunk) started getting on Rhinos case for not following orders and attacked him and Jay Briscoe. Mark Briscoe came to the rescue and it leads to...

The Kingdom (Adam Cole, Michael Bennett and Matt Taven) vs. the Briscoes & Rhino
The start of this was another fun barroom brawl but once they got it back into the ring it tapered off.
Winners: the Briscoes & Rhino
_
DVD bonus features:
Adam Cole announcing all the matches that were happening on this show a few weeks earlier.
_
Reading the title and looking at the cover of this I was expecting this to be one of the worst Ring of Honor DVDs I’d ever seen. But there were actually a few decent matches on it and the Delirious match was one of the few times I’ve been entertained during a Tommaso Ciampa match. The womens match is worth watching if you’re a fan of trainwrecks. So I'm going to give a surprising "thumbs pointed at 2 and 10" to this one.

The commentary was pretty weak tonight. Someone different joined Steve Corino for each match and they ranged from good (Bobby Fish) to totally out of their element (Kyle O’Reilly) to just awkwardly terrible (J-Diesel).

I think Sarah Logan/“Crazy” Mary Dobson is booked to wrestle in this same venue when her 90-day non-complete clause is over.

Michael Bennett is the biggest loser in the history of wrestling.

·
Registered
786 Posts

ROH now has an official podcast. It's hosted by Kevin Eck. The first guest is Marty Scurll. Only an hour long, not a bad listen. They do go behind the scenes a bit about Marty's new responsibilities as the booker.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts

Ring of Honor “Reloaded Tour 2015: Chicago Ridge”
September 12th, 2015
From the Frontier Fieldhouse in Chicago, Illinois
Commentators: Kevin Kelly and BJ Whitmer

Tonight: a reunited Future Shock take on the Young Bucks

The Kingdom (Michael Bennett and Matt Taven) w/Maria Kanellis vs. Brad Kevins & Curt Stallion
This was a total squash, odd because the guys doing the squashing were the guys usually getting squashed. And too bad because I’ve seen Curt Stallion wrestle before and he’s really good.
Winners: the Kingdom
Afterwards the Kingdom call Adam Cole out to tell them where he stands: with them or with reDRagon. Cole comes out, as do reDRagon and the Young Bucks. The Kingdom end up eating Superkicks but no answer from Adam Cole.

Beer City Bruiser w/Silas Young vs. Dalton Castle w/the Boys
This was a better match than I expected it to be that was unfortunately offset by the Bruisers trunks barely holding on.
Winner: Dalton Castle

Tanaka Watanabe vs. Michael Elgin
I was surprised by this match too. Watanabe has never done anything for me but Elgin brought out something in him that was lacking in all the other matches I’ve seen him have.
Winner: Michael Elgin

BJ Whitmer has something to say before the next match but the crowds booing won’t allow him to get a word out. The next match is supposed to be Mark Briscoe verses Adam Page but even when Mark is in the ring the crowd won’t let Whitmer speak. Page attacks Mark from behind but then Jay comes to the rescue. Hell breaks loose. Once it’s settled down Romantic Touch comes out. He gets put through a table.

BJ Whitmer is done with commentary so it’s up to Kevin Kelly to call the show on his own now.

Bobby Fish vs. Roderick Strong
This was a solid match but I have so little interest in watching these two that I spent a majority of the time it was happening cycling through my old reviews seeing if I’d seen this show before (I swear I’ve seen the previous segment and the Michael Elgin match).

Stokely Hathaway joins Kevin Kelly on commentary.

4-Corners Survival
Samson Walker vs. Will Ferrara vs. Silas Young vs. Cheeseburger
I say this every time I see him and I will continue saying it until it’s righted: why isn’t Samson Walker used more often? This was a good match.
Winner: Silas Young

Cedric Alexander vs. Jay Briscoe
Cedric Alexander has no business being one-on-one in the ring with Jay Briscoe and he's really terrible as a face. Cedric held his own.
Winner: Jay Briscoe
Earlier in the match Stokely Hathaway had taken a wrench away from Cedric Alexander (which ultimately cost him the match) so Cedric takes Hathaway out, then runs away. Moose is a little late to the game helping Stokely and as he’s assisting him to the back Alexander attacks him with the wrench.

Bobby Fish joins Kevin Kelly on commentary.

Match #2 in a best of 5 series
ACH vs. Matt Sydal
I am so over these two.
Winner: ACH (series tied 1-1)

Jay Lethal comes out for what is supposed to be Moose’s Proving Ground match, but he says Moose is to beat up from Cedric Alexander’s earlier attack so he calls anyone else out. Moose staggers out with referees holding him back.

Proving Grounds match
Jay Lethal (Ring of Honor World Heavyweight and Television Champion) w/Truth Martini and Taeler Hendrix’s breasts vs. Moose
The “never give up” stuff is fine but when it’s a giant like Moose it’s hard to buy into. Especially when he played defense in the NFL for seven years. A wrench to the head from Cedric Alexander probably felt like a mosquito.
Winner: Jay Lethal

Kevin Kelly gets in the ring and announces that Ring of Honor will be coming back to the Frontier Fieldhouse in 2016 with the stars of New Japan Pro Wrestling.

Future Shock vs. the Young Bucks
What’s worse than Kyle O’Reilly as a bad ass? Adam Cole as a face. This match was fun to watch though because the microphone was too close to the ring and it picked up a lot of the funny things the Young Bucks were saying.
Winners: the Young Bucks

The Kingdom come back out and sass Future Shock/reDRagon. But as to be expected it doesn't work out for them.
___
DVD bonus features:
The Alpha Class vs. Ken Phoenix & Shaheem Ali
Shaheem Ali: king of the Ring of Honor dark match random tag team circuit. Decent match.
Winners: Ken Phoenix & Shaheem Ali

Post show recap with Kevin Kelly.
___
This was a good show with some good matches, the problem was as a person who’s watched so many Ring of Honor DVDs the entire thing was like a rerun to me. Like I said during my one review: I had to go through all my past reviews because I swore I’d seen this DVD before.

A lot of this show was setting up the All-Star Extravaganza pay per view the following Friday. Silas Young fought Dalton Castle for ownership of the Boys, Moose had a no disqualification match with Cedric Alexander, the All-Night Express made a surprise return and faced the Briscoes (in a match that saw the Romantic Touch written out of Ring of Honor), Matt Sydal and ACH has match #3 in their series, Jay Lethal defended both his titles against different members of reDRagon and there was a bunch of crap with the Kingdom and Adam Cole double-crossing reDRagon (which was not hard to see coming).

·
Registered
3,099 Posts

Ring of Honor “Aftershock”
July 8th, 2016
From the William J. Myers Pavilion in Baltimore, Maryland
Commentators: Kevin Kelly and Matt Taven

Tonight: the Bullet Club verses Ring of Honor in six-man action.

Shaheem Ali & Lio St. Giovani vs. War Machine
This wasn’t the pounding you’d think it would have been. Ali and St. Giovanni got a little bit in. But when the tables turned to War Machines favour...to quote my son “yeah, they’re dead”.
Winners: War Machine

Alex Shelley joins commentary for the next match.

JAY FUCKING WHITE vs. Lio Rush
These two worked together really well and this was a really good match. Taven and Shelley were really funny together and didn’t focus too much on the match but that was okay. How could I be surprised? It’s JAY FUCKING WHITE. The “Six Star Switchblade”.
Winner: JAY FUCKING WHITE

The All-Night Express w/Caprice Coleman vs. Will Ferrara & Cheeseburger

This was another surprisingly good match. These guys are all often over-shadowed and often on the losing ends but they worked very well together.
Winners: the All Night Express

Silas Young t-shirt advertisement.

Kamaitachi w/Christopher Daniels vs. Bobby Fish
This was a good match that was surprisingly short.

BJ Whitmer takes over for Matt Taven on commentary.

Chase Brown vs. Joey “Daddiego” Diesel
You haven’t seen “it” until you’ve seen “Cauliflower” Chase Brown. This match was...yeah.
Winner: Joey “Daddiego” Diesel

Alex Shelley rejoins the commentary team for the next match.

Four Corners Survival
Frankie Kazarian vs. Donovan Dijak w/Prince Nana vs. Chris Sabin vs. Mark Briscoe
This one started slowish but the final minutes were really good. I’ve never really been entertained by Chris Sabin but I was here. They should have called an audible and given him the “W” in this one.
Winner: Mark Briscoe

Christopher Daniels comes out and says he’s tired of conspiracies against Frankie Kazarian, Kamaitachi and himself. He says he’s made complaints and had the decisions in the previous matches involving them tonight overturned. He says that no one can stop them. That brings out his opponent.

Christopher Daniels w/Frankie Kazarian vs. Moose
This one didn’t do too much for me.
Winner: Christopher Daniels
Kamaitachi and Frankie Kazarian all attack Moose. Alex Shelley and JAY FUCKING WHITE come to the rescue. JAY FUCKING WHITE forgot to put pants on.

Last Man Standing Match
ACH vs. Silas Young
I wouldn’t have thought that a Last Man Standing match would have done any favours for ACH’s style of wrestling but it worked. Really well. I liked this match lots.
Last Man Standing: Silas Young

Women of Honor t-shirt advertisement.

The Bullet Club (Adam Cole, Nick Jackson and Adam Page) vs. Ring of Honor (Jay Lethal, Jay Briscoe and Colt Cabana)
So much of this show had taken me by surprise that another match with “the Bullet Club B-Team” felt like every other show. My only question was where Matt Jackson was tonight but I think he’d broken his ribs a few weeks earlier.
Winners: Ring of Honor
___
DVD bonus features:
Pre show segments with Cheeseburger and Will Ferrara as well as ACH.

Post show comments from Kevin Kelly and BJ Whitmer as well as Silas Young. I did watch Silas’ and it was gold. He challenged New Japans Shibata to a match at Death Before Dishonor a month after this. Gee, I wonder how that worked out for Silas?
___
If I really enjoyed a JAY FUCKING WHITE match you have to know something was up. This was a really good show top to bottom. Everything was just firing on all cylinders. The crowd was hot and everyone gave 110%. The JAY FUCKING WHITE verses Lio Rush match was the best match I’ve seen from either of them and the Last Man Standing match was a hidden gem too. But the highlight was seeing “Cauliflower” Chase Brown. Just SEEING him.

___
Also included as bonus DVD with this is the first (and as far as I know only) Women of Honor show, which was filmed at the same venue on the same night before the Aftershock show.

Ring of Honor “Women of Honor”
July 8th, 2016
From the William J. Myers Pavilion in Baltimore, Maryland
Commentator: Ian Riccaboni

Taeler Hendrix vs. “Crazy” Mary Dobson
This was a really good match. Taeler is better in the ring than she gets credit for. I had no idea her finishing move was a FUCKING TOMBSTONE PILEDRIVER! Probably because I’ve never seen her win a match.
Winner: Taeler Hendrix

Veda Scott vs. Jenny Rose
This one was really solid but didn’t have the spark of fire that the previous match had. There was one particularly brutal snap Suplex on the ring apron that was probably inches from killing Veda. Veda herself was pretty hilarious at the end.
Winner: Veda Scott

Matt Taven joins Ian on commentary for the next match.

Deonna Purrazzo, Kenidi Brinks & Amber Gallows vs. Sumie Sakai, Faye Jackson & Solo Darling
This was a fun match. I love Solo Darling and her sugar-filled antics make me smile. Matt Taven was really good on commentary and Prince Nana coming out to bask in Faye Jackson’s...behind...was pretty funny. This was her second professional match and it showed.
Winner: Deonna Purrazzo, Kenidi Brinks & Amber Gallows

Women of Honor t-shirt advertisement.

Two out of Three Falls
Hania “the Huntress” vs. Mandy Leon
It’s easy to mock Mandy Leon and her obvious numerous “enhancements” but she can go in the ring. It’s too bad she got suckered into that Allure garbage. I was enjoying this match until Taeler Hendrix came out and joined Ian on commentary. That wasn’t good.
Winner: Mandy Leon (2 falls to 1)
After the match Taeler gets in the microphone and yells at Mandy Leon.

Veda Scott joins Ian on commentary.

Kelly Klein w/BJ Whitmer vs. Candice LeRae
This was good enough but the weakest match of the show.
Winner: Kelly Klein
BJ Whitmer tells Scarlett Bordeaux to get in the ring and respectfully announce Kelly Klein as the winner. She reluctantly does, slaps Whitmer and gets viciously taken out by Klein. Sumie Sakai makes the save. (This wrote Scarlett out for the main show and I don’t know where Bobby Cruise was but Ian Riccaboni ended up pulling double-duty as ring announcer).
___
DVD bonus features:
Interviews with Mandy Leon, Taeler Hendrix and Veda Scott.

Mandy Leon and Hania the Huntress promo

BJ Whitmer talks Kelly Klein

Candice LaRae post-match
___
When I saw this was included with the package I was sceptical. Ring of Honors track record with women’s matches is spotty. So the prospect of an entire shows worth was something that I had low expectations for. But it ended up being a really good show with a healthy run-time of eighty minutes. The crowd really helped it because they were red-hot the whole time. It’s too bad this division keeps getting derailed.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts

Ring of Honor “Survival of the Fittest 2017 Night Two: Dallas”
November 18th, 2017
From Gillys in Dallas, Texas
Commentators: Ian Riccaboni and Colt Cabana

Tonight: Cody defends the Ring of Honor World Heavyweight Championship against Christopher Daniels in a Texas Death Match

Survival of the Fittest First Round Match
Vinny Marseglia w/the Kingdom vs. Johnathan Gresham
Matt Taven joined the commentary team but they forgot to turn his microphone on. This was a solid match with Johnathan Gresham pulling out a lot of high-flying offence, of which he missed every single one.
Winner: Johnathan Gresham (advances to the next round)

TK O’Ryan w/the Kingdom vs. Flip Gordon
Matt Taven stayed on commentary but they still didn’t turn his microphone on. This wasn’t too much a match.
Winner: Flip Gordon (advances to the next round)

Matt Taven w/the Kingdom vs. Cheeseburger
This wasn’t as one-sided as you’d think it would be, but given how the Kingdoms night has been going so far it wasn’t surprising. It was one of the most competitive one-on-one Cheeseburger matches I’ve seen. It’s probably for the best that Matt Taven went over.
Winner: Matt Taven (advances to the next round)

Ring of Honor merchandise ad.

Madison Rayne joins the commentary booth. Hopefully they turn her microphone on.

Street Fight
Karen Q. vs. Deonna Purrazzo
This was a lot better than I expected it to be. Deonna Purrazzo is really good at taking punishment and the match itself was very entertaining.
Winner: Deonna Purrazzo

Elimination Match for the Ring of Honor World Tag Team Championships
The Dawgs vs. Silas Young & the Beer City Bruiser vs. Esfringe & Rey Cometa vs. the Motor City Machine Guns (champions)
The Dawgs were always good for a laugh and this was probably the only competitive match they ever had. The match was good. I’d like to have seen Esfringe and Rey Cometa in a normal one-on-one (or tag match) since CMLL guys always impress me.
Winners: the Motor City Machine Guns

Josh Woods vs. Marty Scurll
I’m not sure how this match came to be and its story. How did Ring of Honors hottest star end up having to wrestle the guy who wrestled filler matches at TV tapings? I guess he needed a match and Woods is always free.
Winner: Marty Scurll

For the Ring of Honor World Television Championship
Scorpio Sky vs. Kenny King (champion)
Scorpio Sky is a better wrestler than he gets credit for. I like him a lot more when he’s on his own. SCU were annoying. Or “are” annoying. Are they still a thing?
Winner: Kenny King

Kenny King calls out all of the guys who are challenging him for the Ring of Honor World Television Championship at Final Battle in a few weeks. One by one they (Shane Taylor, Punishment Martinez, Silas Young) come out and they fight one another.

RoHwrestling.com advertisement

The Young Bucks vs. Jay Lethal & Dalton Castle
Given who was included it wasn’t surprising that this started out a bit of a joke match. But once it got going it became an actual match, and that was a nice change of pace from the Young Bucks.
Winners: Jay Lethal & Dalton Castle

Texas Death Match for the Ring of Honor World Heavyweight Championship
Christopher Daniels vs. Cody (champion)
I was looking forward to this until the stipulations of a Texas Death Match were explained by Bobby Cruise. I was thinking it was going to be some brutal brawl. But instead it’s pretty much a match with Last Man Standing rules tacked on; you just have to pin the opponent then he has to stay down for ten seconds afterwards. It did have a few rough, brutal moments; specifically Daniels going through the flaming table, which I remember reading about a few years ago.
Winner: Cody
__
DVD bonus features:
“Dirty” Andy Dalton vs. Lou Gotti
The last time I saw Andy Dalton was probably twelve or thirteen years before this when he was in TNA during its early days. He...had a better physic then. He looks like a textbook southern wrestler now. This was still a solid match. The Ring of Honor undercard would benefit from having either of these guys on it more often.
Winner: “Dirty” Andy Dalton
__
This show was pretty “meh”. I remember this being a “down” time for Ring of Honor because Mark Briscoe had separated his shoulder, Jay Briscoe was off TV for storyline purposes and Dalton Castle was a wreck and they were all being kept off shows )or used sparingly in Castles case) so they’d be okay for Final Battle a few weeks after this. So the shows obviously suffered. The only thing really of note here was the Womens Street Fight, which was far from the best Street Fight ever but was a lot better than I expected and then it could have been. And the Young Bucks match was good if you’d like to see them get away from their usual META crap from this time. And the first portion with the Kingdom was entertaining, although none of the matches were particularly good.

Towards the beginning the audio whenever entrance music was playing was fucking horrid. It sounded like someone had put one of the microphones into a clothes dryer that was filled with rocks. Thankfully it was fixed by the time the Kingdoms segments were over. But then the same thing happened to Colt Cabanas microphone a few times later in the show.

Despite this being during Ring of Honors hottest times the crowd was really dead.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts

Ring of Honor “Gateway to Gold”
June 4th, 2017
From the Gateway Center in Collinsville, Illinois
Commentators: Ian Riccaboni and Colt Cabana

Flip Gordon vs. Frankie Kazarian
I think he was a face at this time (a role I’ve never liked him in) but Kazarian worked really good in this match. He’s one of those unsung heroes of the undercard and he showed it here. Flip did well but still looked pretty green.
Winner: Frankie Kazarian

The Rebellion w/Shayne Taylor vs. Coast to Coast
This one had a few really good exchanges but some really sloppy ones too. Like, at one point Caprice Colman was flying, then he seemed to just run right out of gas but then he picked it up; all within a few seconds.
Winners: the Rebellion

Shayne Taylor calls out Jay Briscoe.

Shayne Taylor vs. Jay Briscoe
They were really high on Shayne Taylor for a small while in spring/summer 2017 and he got to shine here going toe-to-toe with Jay Briscoe, even making him his bitch for a lot of this match. Good match.
Winner: Jay Briscoe

RoHwrestling.com ad.

Gauntlet to Gold for a shot at the Ring of Honor World Heavyweight Championship later tonight
Johnathan Gresham vs. Yo vs. Jake Crist w/Dave Crist vs. Kenny King vs. Sho vs. Dalton Castle w/the Boys vs. Cheeseburger vs. Will Ferrara vs. Punishment Martinez vs. JAY FUCKING WHITE
This was really good when Gresham and Yo were in the ring together at the beginning. Gresham worked really well with Jake Crist too. Those are two matches I’d like to see in full. Once Gresham went out the match got a little less exciting but everyone else still had really good showings. Dalton Castles silliness took the wind out of the sails a bit. His shit doesn’t really have a place in a Gauntlet Match, unless he’s right at the beginning. If anything his entrance then his goofing around gave his opponent (Kenny King) some time to rest and regroup.
Winner: it ended in a double count-out between Punishment Martinez and JAY FUCKING WHITE

Christopher Daniels comes out and says he’ll defend his Ring of Honor World Heavyweight Championship against both JAY FUCKING WHITE and Punishment Martinez in a three-way match.

Bobby Fish vs. Jay Lethal
These two really worked well together and it resulted in a really good match. Lethal took some serious punishment. He fell awkwardly through the ropes close to the middle of the match and took a bad landing on his back that probably made working ten more minutes really hard but he kept going. It was too bad that they had to end it via shenanigans from Silas Young and the Beer City Bruiser. I like those guys but a good match like this deserved a good, clean ending.
Silas Young and the Beer City Bruiser take out Fish and Lethal and then call their opponents out.

Silas Young & the Beer City Bruiser vs. Bully Ray & Mark Briscoe
This was a really good, old-school tag team match. You don't see that very often but these teams gelled well together and against one another.
Winner: Bully Ray & Mark Briscoe

Cody t-shirt ad.

For the Ring of Honor World Tag Team Championships
The Kingdom vs. the Young Bucks (champions)
If you’re one of those people that HATE the Young Bucks you’d like this match because the Kingdom kicked their asses all over the place...for the first five minutes. Then it evened out and became a pretty good match. I’ve always felt bad for the Kingdom. They always got stuck facing the Young Bucks or the Elite and there was no winning in 2017.
Winners: the Young Bucks

The Bullet Club (Cody and Adam Page) vs. the Motor City Machine Guns
I honestly just didn’t give a fuck about this match. If I was behind anyone I was firmly behind the Motor City Machine Guns. Fuck Cody. Fuck that little cling-on Page. And fuck the Revival, they’re boring.
Winners: the Bullet Club

For the Ring of Honor World Heavyweight Championship
Punishment Martinez vs. JAY FUCKING WHITE vs. Christopher Daniels (champion)
This was a good match but Punishment came across like a total idiot when he could have had it won at the end.
Winner: Christopher Daniels
_
DVD bonus features:
For the Crown of Glory Championship
Curt Stallion vs. Myron Reed (champion)
I’ve seen these guys before at a small independent promotion in Hamilton, Ontario and they were both good, but they were really good here. One of the best dark matches I’ve seen.
Winner: Myron Reed

Stacy Shadows vs. Mandy Leon
Mandy Leon had a lot of bounce in her step this match. That’s all this match is worth watching for. It was pretty bad on both fronts. Mandy was pretty green and Stacy Shadows wasn’t great either.
Winner: Mandy Leon
_
I really enjoyed this show. The Gauntlet Match was really fucking good, even though I didn’t care much for the way it ended. I didn’t like the Bullet Club jerkoff segment towards the end so I’d have cut that shit and left the rest untouched. Anything involving the Bullet Club made me angry and anything that reminded me of Christopher Daniels’ sad championship run made me sad. The show itself was a little too long. It was a full-length show PLUS the Gauntlet Match. But it’s one of the better Ring of Honor DVDs so check it out.

·
Registered
786 Posts
@adamclark52 Looking back 2017 had too much Bullet Club and it didn't let the rest of the roster grow. I liked it in the moment but after a while it got old. And this is coming from a guy who went to All In :LOL:

·
Registered
720 Posts
I love when you look back at ROH DVDs and you find a dark match like Curt Stallation vs. Myron Reed. Two guys i still consider some of the top young talent today.

I give ROH a lot of credit for putting out much better youtube and social media content lately. Not to much everything they've done to address issues in 2020. I think things should be looking up when they return... hopefully it's not too long of a hiatus.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
@adamclark52 Looking back 2017 had too much Bullet Club and it didn't let the rest of the roster grow. I liked it in the moment but after a while it got old. And this is coming from a guy who went to All In :LOL:
I think it was fine enough at the time because we didn’t realize they were just using Ring of Honor as a platform to get themselves over. They used RoH like a two dollar whore and left them to starting their thing. And the saddest thing is I bet RoH would welcome them back with open arms.

ring of Honor is AEWs girlfriend that sits by when he cheats on her, leaves her, takes the cat with him then when the other girl kicks him out Ring of Honor let’s him sleep on her couch, gives him sex, cooks him food and then he just leaves her again

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think it was fine enough at the time because we didn’t realize they were just using Ring of Honor as a platform to get themselves over. They used RoH like a two dollar whore and left them to starting their thing. And the saddest thing is I bet RoH would welcome them back with open arms.

ring of Honor is AEWs girlfriend that sits by when he cheats on her, leaves her, takes the cat with him then when the other girl kicks him out Ring of Honor let’s him sleep on her couch, gives him sex, cooks him food and then he just leaves her again
To further your point of The Elite using ROH to push themselves further (which to a degree is part of what a wrestler should do to make themselves more valuable but that's besides the point), I don't know how many of the shows you watched in the 2nd half on 2018 but ROH would let The Elite close the show in the ring on the mic talking to the fans and they would use vague language alluding to coming back soon and hoping to see more fans. At first it seemed normal but the more they did it up to Final Battle they started dropping hints. In essence ROH let The Elite plug AEW to their live audience.

While Marty most likely wouldn't have a problem doing some cross promotion with AEW I don't think the rest of the higher ups would love the idea. AEW did take a good chunk of the actual ROH staff and it wasn't a particularly big group to begin with.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
To further your point of The Elite using ROH to push themselves further (which to a degree is part of what a wrestler should do to make themselves more valuable but that's besides the point), I don't know how many of the shows you watched in the 2nd half on 2018 but ROH would let The Elite close the show in the ring on the mic talking to the fans and they would use vague language alluding to coming back soon and hoping to see more fans. At first it seemed normal but the more they did it up to Final Battle they started dropping hints. In essence ROH let The Elite plug AEW to their live audience.
Yup, the Bucks did that after the Death Before Dishonor tv tapings in September 2018. The venue was empty and I don’t know if they hit the place on one their own shows later.

it made me sick, 2018 really turned me on the Bucks, AEW, the Elite and all

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yup, the Bucks did that after the Death Before Dishonor tv tapings in September 2018. The venue was empty and I don’t know if they hit the place on one their own shows later.

it made me sick, 2018 really turned me on the Bucks, AEW, the Elite and all
I still have trouble enjoying AEW because I'm still burnt out on the Bucks and Cody. In all fairness I never liked Cody. My dislike of his character has grown each passing year.

·
#BAYBAY
20,306 Posts

Start from 15.55

So it look's like we're going to be seeing Marty/Switchblade real soon, judging by the video. I read in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that they're planning on running shows soon are ROH.

Maybe Jay will be sticking around a little bit too. I believe he lives in Florida now, that's why he's not in Japan currently as well. And he can stick around in ROH until non Japanese talent are allowed to fly back into Japan once more.

3621 - 3640 of 3654 Posts