Wrestling Forum banner

ROH Defy or Deny Discussion Thread

2413 Views 24 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Spinone
Looks like a pretty solid card. Hoping Roddy wins so we can get a new challenger in Atlanta. Discuss.

Ring of Honor
March 18, 2011- 8:00pm belltime
Plymouth Memorial Hall
83 Court Street
Plymouth, MA 02360

Tickets will be available to purchase at the door on the night of the show!!!

Defy Or Deny- Elimination Match
ROH World Champion Roderick Strong vs. El Generico vs. Homicide vs. Jay Briscoe
— If Strong wins than neither El Generico, Jay Briscoe, nor Homicide can ever challenge for the ROH World Title again while Strong is champion.
— If El Generico, Jay Briscoe, or Homicide win than the winner will face the champion on 4/2 in Atlanta with the title on the line.

World TV Title Match
Christopher Daniels(c) vs. “The Prodigy” Mike Bennett

Davey Richards vs. Claudio Castagnoli

TJ Perkins vs. Chris Hero

Michael Elgin vs. Eddie Edwards

Adam Cole vs. Tommaso Ciampa

Mark Briscoe vs. Kyle O’Reilly

The All Night Express vs. Steve Corino & Grizzly Redwood​
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
13,940 Posts
Looks like a pretty solid card. Hoping Roddy wins so we can get a new challenger in Atlanta. Discuss.
If they're not going to bring anyone big in then El Generico is about the only big option for the match in Atlanta. Probably also the best one for a great title match.

Also see "the next Rock" Mike Bennett eventually getting the tv title, but I can't (and hope) he doesn't win it here.

· Le Champion
18,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they're not going to bring anyone big in then El Generico is about the only big option for the match in Atlanta. Probably also the best one for a great title match.

Also see "the next Rock" Mike Bennett eventually getting the tv title, but I can't (and hope) he doesn't win it here.
Looking at the rest of the roster I just don't like the idea of Roddy facing the same challenger again when he's got plenty of others he could defend the strap against. Idk how it would come about but I'd love to see him face Chris Hero, or looking at who they could realistically bring in, Kenny Omega. That's of course if he even is the champ by April 2nd. Way too many scenarios to fathom.

· Banned
18,342 Posts
I'd like to see another Strong/Generico clash. Davey/Claudio should be excellent, and I hope Daniels retains.

· Is a Snit Head
34,367 Posts
Results are covered. Belltime is 8 PM EST.

- ROH is using red ropes tonight!
- Crowd is down from the previous Dec. show.

P1. Andy Ridge & ? over ? & ?

- Mike Bennett and Brutal Bob open the show, but are interrupted by Steve Corino. They get in a scuffle and Corino said he might fall out of his recovery tomorrow in NYC.

1. Mark Briscoe over Kyle O'Reilly in a "fantastic opening match." Briscoe wins with a frogsplash elbow drop.

2. The All Night Express over Steve Corino and Grizzly Redwood with a backbreaker knee drop combo on Redwood after Corino accidentally clotheslined him. "Solid." Redwood bails on Corino after the match.

3. Tommaso Ciampa over Adam Cole. Cole had the pin after a backbreaker, but Nana distracted the ref. Ciampa hit a lowblow and what I presume was the double knee powerbomb for the win. "Really fun match."

- Return date announced for September 16, 2011.
- Crowd in the 500-550 area.

4. Chris Hero over TJ Perkins after a stiff kick and elbow. "This was fantastic." TJP got a standing ovation afterwards.

INTERMISSION

5. The Bravado Brothers over Matt Taven and Sid Reeves(?) when Lance pinned Taven after rolling through a splash off the top.

6. Eddie Edwards over Michael Elgin in an "awesome match." Edwards got the win with a cross-legged powerbomb and shouted out "Strong." At one point, Edwards had the achilles lock on both Elgin and Martini at the same time!

7. Christopher Daniels over “The Prodigy” Mike Bennett to retain the World Television Championship after a BME. Brutal Bob and Steve Corino got involved near the end. Crowd didn't like Bennett. "Not very good." Daniels was upset with Corino post match.

8. Davey Richards over Claudio Castangoli after a shooting star press. "Just an incredible match. Entire place on their feet at the end."

9. Defy Or Deny- Elimination Match - Roderick Strong def. El Generico, Homicide, and Jay Briscoe
— If Strong wins than neither El Generico, Jay Briscoe, nor Homicide can ever challenge for the ROH World Title again while Strong is champion.
— If El Generico, Jay Briscoe, or Homicide win than the winner will face the champion on 4/2 in Atlanta with the title on the line.

- Strong got on the mic and said he had beaten all of the men in the ring. He asked Homicide to work with him and Homicide agreed.
- Homicide and Strong worked over Jay for a long time until Homicide turned on Strong.
- Homicide is eliminated after a Jay Driller.
- Crowd going nuts for three way action between Strong, Generico, and Jay. Strong just suplexed both men!
- Strong eliminates Jay Briscoe after a falcon arrow.
- Elgin ran out and interfered and nailed Generico with a powerbomb. Strong hit a running kick and pinned Generico for the win.

So I'm thinking Edwards is walking out with the title tomorrow night. At the very latest Daniels is taking it from Strong.

· Le Champion
18,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wonder how the red ropes look. With the return date being so far away that makes me think they're gonna throw in some Philly dates in a couple months, maybe even for an iPPV. Glad Daniels won, sucks he couldn't get a good match out of Bennett though. Really glad Strong won, lookin for a fresh challenger in ATL. Show looks pretty good, may give it a buy.

· also known as a BUSTER
13,290 Posts
Wonder how the red ropes look. With the return date being so far away that makes me think they're gonna throw in some Philly dates in a couple months, maybe even for an iPPV. Glad Daniels won, sucks he couldn't get a good match out of Bennett though. Really glad Strong won, lookin for a fresh challenger in ATL. Show looks pretty good, may give it a buy.
They had red ropes for some of the TVs at the OVW arena IIRC.

Surprised that Bennett got GTFO'd on his own stomping ground.

Dunno what Strong's win indicates, especially with Davey tied up on ATL Night Two and Daniels seemingly likely to leave. What will the title match be on Night Two? Will there be a one-day reign, with Strong winning it back? Could we see a Spring of Daniels? A double turn? Would they really pull the trigger on Edwards this soon?

· Registered
13,940 Posts
They might go with Strong/Generico non-title or give Generico the title shot anyway because he's been screwed twice because unless Hero or Claudio are in singles matches there is really no one on the roster that would make sense for a title match that doesn't already have a match. I guess maybe Strong is walking out the champ in Atlanta to eventually face Davey maybe at DBD.

And fantastic to see Bennett with another stellar performance. He certainly is The Prodigy.

· Ramble On
12,050 Posts
Hero or Claudio getting a title shot would be the only other plausible option. Noone else deserves one or is ready for one. Maybe they give an underdog a shot to make a new star such as O'Riley but it seems too soon for that though. My guess would be Hero.

· Banned
6,181 Posts
Davey wins the TV title tomorrow (turning it into the Pure Title), Daniels wins in Atlanta, Daniels vs. Davey III at Glory By Honor X for the ROH title.

· Banned
9,858 Posts
Davey wins the TV title tomorrow (turning it into the Pure Title), Daniels wins in Atlanta, Daniels vs. Davey III at Glory By Honor X for the ROH title.
Daniels/Davey isn't for the TV Title in Manhattan, IIRC. But I would like to see that happen, even though I'm not keeping my hopes up for Daniels sticking around after Atlanta Weekend.

· also known as a BUSTER
13,290 Posts
It would be difficult to give Hero or Claudio a World title shot the night after they get beaten cleanly by WGTT (which seems likely).

None of that's going to happen IMHO.

· I'M A WOLF BEAST GUY
5,784 Posts
Looks like a pretty solid show. Surprised that Strong got the win, as I had him down to go over Eddie tonight and face probably Generico in Atlanta. I couldn't see Edwards winning the strap before, but now... the only thing I could see stopping them from putting the belt on himis that it's not an iPPV, and doesn't exactly say much for those if they aren't getting the title changes.

· Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me
9,309 Posts
The show looks like alot of fun throughout. Strong winning is interesting, I'd love for it to lead to him vs. Hero or even an outside talent (Omega, TJP, KENTA?) though it will probably lead to some tag match like Strong and Elgin vs. Generico and someone else.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.